Illinois matchup

shadow

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Central Iowa
Also an Illinois native (don't mention 2005) and I'm just awaiting the texts from my dad. No family attended but he's always been a fan. I can't recall these two playing in a while.

Did you cheer for the Illini then or not? 2005 was great until they got screwed by the refs in the 1st half vs UNC and couldn't quite finish the comeback in the 2nd half.

shadow

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Central Iowa
Only time in my life I messaged a girl saying I couldn't be alone that night was with 5 minutes to go in that game

I get it. Grew up an Illini fan and I was with about 15 or so friends watching and I had buddies start to cry with about 5 to go. I told them that it was still possible for the Illini to turn it around, but they were running out of time. I didn't think they could do it, but they had a lot of comebacks that year so I thought there was at least a chance. That finish was wild.

Reactions: CyCrazy

mctallerton

Apr 4, 2006
BTW, I revoke my comment, I'm an ass. I forgot who beat Illinois, thought it was Arizona :p
No I just meant it was a great year for the tourney with great games. The two best teams met for the championship that year, that doesn't happen often. Plus ISU kicked the crap out of Minnesota that year.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Did you cheer for the Illini then or not? 2005 was great until they got screwed by the refs in the 1st half vs UNC and couldn't quite finish the comeback in the 2nd half.
I did! I could tell you nothing about the game other than it ended with sadness.my dad was just quiet. Not angry or yelling, just quiet.

Reactions: shadow

mctallerton

Apr 4, 2006
Everybody is going to pick Illinois to beat us. Hopefully it’s like 2000 like they did the same with UCLA.
It will be an interesting matchup, Shannon is an excellent scorer, but if I had to bet between the #1 offense and the #1 defense, I'd bet defense 10 out of 10 times. It's not a lock but good defense is consistent, we've had great offensive teams in the past and we've all seen what happens when the shots aren't falling.

synapticwave

Mar 9, 2007
Austin, TX
www.longshotgames.com
More than any other game this one probably comes down to how it's officiated. With the two teams playing very different styles and us being way more press defense and physical and them going fast and right at you. If the refs allow physical play then we will frustrate them and not allow their offense to get going and will likely win. If refs call it tight it will allow Illinois to play the way they want and we will either get in foul trouble or struggle to adjust.

It sucks that officiating (even if reffed well) will likely decide this one since it's a really interesting matchu of two teams playing at a very high level.

cyphoon

Sep 8, 2011
Illinois has had two easy games. I like we were punched in the face today. I can't see these kids satisfied at 16.

Agree. Wazzu pushed us today, which is a good thing. Illinois has to go from Duchesne to us. Night and day difference.

H

Reactions: aauummm

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Is there a time out yet?
I imagine times won't be set until after matchups finish tomorrow night. They're going to want to know who's all playing thursday (east and west regions) before setting tv times and the last game of the day is an east region game that won't get over until probably 11pm

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
The two lanterns have been lit and the (Cyclone) Redcoats are coming. Including myself.

I hope our guys tour. The United States is the product of the Enlightenment, not Bunkers Hill but Breeds Hill was the focal point of the battle between colonial citizens and the British power which ruled the world.

We beat the **** out of the Brits until we ran out of powder/ammunition. Here is one of our great American heroes that few of us know about: Joseph Warren.

Really, I'm curious, how many of you here on this forum know about the heroism of Warren. I don't ask to condemn, I'm curious about how little our traditions spread among our citizenry.

He surrendered his life in June 1775. He was 34 years old.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
Just browsing the news and sport sites yesterday and this morning, Iowa State is a complete after-thought. Playing up the other 2 seeds and even NC state, but little to no mention of ISU. Here's hoping they blow out Illinois and make a statement.

Last edited:

amishclone

Feb 23, 2014
Just browsing the news and sport sites yesterday and this morning, Iowa State is a complete after-thought. Playing up the other 2 seeds and even NC state, but little to no mention of ISU. Here's hoping they blow out Illinois and make a statement.
Here's hoping for a 1 point under the radar win

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron