I lost my job

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
So I lost my job on Friday. Even with Covid-19 hitting the energy business pretty hard I still didn't see it coming. I'm the pretty much the main bread winner in the family as my wife works part time for little pay. Her job has always been the family fun money at best. Now we've just lost 90% of our income.

To say I've been walking around in a daze since losing it on Friday is an understatement. I've lost 4 pounds since Friday...probably the worst part is I live in SE Iowa where the job market is nothing like it is in DSM or Cedar Rapids. I've got two kids, one is going to be a Sophomore and the other a 7th grader. I can't move them to DSM this late in the game can I?

For those that have gone through this what the hell did you do? I actually get to work until July 10 but after that...what? Do I just sit at home and cruise the internet for jobs that don't exist? Try and find a job that will pay me cash under the table so I don't lose unemployment?

I did get a severance and we've got a nice amount of cash in savings, certainly enough to get us by for a while but what then? Can't help but feel so many of my dreams, from paying for my kids college to a kick ass retirement slipping through my fingers.

Anyone that can talk me off the ledge would be appreciated...

PS: I'm a Safety professional is anyone knows of anything.

isubeatle

Aug 9, 2006
Des Moines
So sorry to hear that. Are you able to at least apply for unemployment? Did you get any kind of severance package?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Where are you willing to move to? In northern Iowa there are people getting hired quite often in the windmill sector. Just had a friend leave a safety position a in the food industry a couple months ago (IIRC on time).

I would keep trying to find jobs. If DM is hot, and you don’t want to move, maybe commute or live there from Monday thru Thursday to have work and then find something in the area.

It will work out, just be positive and resourceful.

Reactions: BoxsterCy

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Honestly I don't know what a safety professional does. However, it sounds like their would not be that many jobs in that type of job. Have you thought that maybe you need to get into a new line of occupation to broaden the job market for you? The good thing about Covid is that companies have figured out that most of their employees can work from home and be fine doing it. That might be something to look for. A job where you can live in your small town but have a job that corporate is in Des Moines. I wish you good luck and I have been there before.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
If you live in SE Iowa I’m assuming you’re a small town guy. If you’re looking for work in the DSM metro, we have a lot of small town bedroom communities I think you’d like.

I’m sure the uncertainty is scary, but I’m confident you’ll land on your feet.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Sorry to hear that. I'd begin searching immediately. My general impression is that the job market isn't as horrendously bad in some fields as others. You might not find something that's exactly what you want, but take what you can find and if it gets you by, you'll be in a better spot than many.

Reactions: Clonedogg

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Update your resume, contact your peers and see if they know of any openings. Start using your contacts that you've built up thru the yrs.

Keep a positive attitude, and keep looking. @Rabbuk upgraded jobs during the Covid might want to drop him a pm. Rabbuk sorry for dragging you into this with out asking, but hoping to give Mustang something positive to see.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Getting laid off sucks, but you really have to look at it as an opportunity. Maybe not one you would have chosen to take, but now you have no choice.
Network with the people you know, be sure to talk to unemployment now, before you are done working.
The hardest problem living in small towns like Bloomfield are the good paying jobs are few and far between, so you are going to most likely have to drive to work each day.
Cargill in Eddyville is always looking for workers, and they pay decent wages, and would be a 35 minute drive for you.

Keep you spirits up, this is just a minor setback, you will be fine, it just takes time.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I went thru this a few years ago. I also freaked out a bit. Here's the main thing to remember:
No matter what happens - your kids will still love you, you are still their dad. Rich or poor they don't care.

Other thoughts:
1. There is a >50% chance you end up with a BETTER job and/or better pay. Probably doesn't feel that way right now, but statistically, that's a fact. Even after the financial crash, most people who lost their jobs ended up making more within a year or two.
2. It's a marathon, not a sprint. Be patient and persevere. You will come out on top.

L

LincolnWay187

So I lost my job on Friday. Even with Covid-19 hitting the energy business pretty hard I still didn't see it coming. I'm the pretty much the main bread winner in the family as my wife works part time for little pay. Her job has always been the family fun money at best. Now we've just lost 90% of our income.

To say I've been walking around in a daze since losing it on Friday is an understatement. I've lost 4 pounds since Friday...probably the worst part is I live in SE Iowa where the job market is nothing like it is in DSM or Cedar Rapids. I've got two kids, one is going to be a Sophomore and the other a 7th grader. I can't move them to DSM this late in the game can I?

For those that have gone through this what the hell did you do? I actually get to work until July 10 but after that...what? Do I just sit at home and cruise the internet for jobs that don't exist? Try and find a job that will pay me cash under the table so I don't lose unemployment?

I did get a severance and we've got a nice amount of cash in savings, certainly enough to get us by for a while but what then? Can't help but feel so many of my dreams, from paying for my kids college to a kick ass retirement slipping through my fingers.

Hang in there! This too shall pass.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Don't know if you are knowledgeable about construction, but contractors in our area are crying for skilled labor. It would likely be a very different sort of work experience, but most are giving workers 10-12 hours of OT each week. Our business is booming, oddly enough.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013

Relax, my man. I've been fired multiple times at my fault. Each time with barely any money in my checking and savings. I'm still alive and kicking.

People lose jobs all the time. It's nothing to freak out about; worrying about things that are out of your control is useless. You won't be homeless. You most likely won't lose the house and the car. Most importantly, you won't lose your family.

YOU ARE GOING TO BE OK

As for moving to DSM with your family, kids can adapt better than you think. They'll understand that dad needs a job. It may actually be good for them to experience and learn from.

My suggestion: Take a week to cool off and do some projects that have been in the back of your mind but you haven't gotten to. That will help you cool off. Over the weekend, put together your resume (you can post it on here and we can help). Next week, apply apply apply. Don't be afraid to look outside Iowa.

You got this. Relax. Be Confident.
Relax brother. It's going to be ok.

cdface

Oct 28, 2014
Behind Enemy Lines (IC)
UIHC isn't hiring anyone for at least 3 months, but you might keep an eye on the university or on Engie, the French energy/utility company that was contracted to run everything for the university. it would mean a move to Hok Land for you and your family, but there are a lot more Cyclone grads/fans here than you'd think. and schools in the area are diverse but good (and i only use the word "but" because so many people seem to think that schools with diverse races/economics aren't good).

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Don't know if you are knowledgeable about construction, but contractors in our area are crying for skilled labor. It would likely be a very different sort of work experience, but most are giving workers 10-12 hours of OT each week. Our business is booming, oddly enough.

Have a friend who is a trans log person for a storm door manufacturer. Got last weekend off for the first time in months. Reason being, the warehouse is empty and he had nothing to ship to anyone. Lines are rolling on 6 9 hour days per week. Home improvement is very hot.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA

I know that can be a big deal, but at the same time, you have to do what's best for your family. If this means picking up and moving to another location for an opportunity to stay afloat and/or start over, then you need to do what's best for your family. You're saying you lost 90% of your income, I'd say not to panic, but you do have a little bit of a grace period and hopefully a safety net to hold you over for a little bit until you land on your feet. If it were me, I'd sit down with your kids and be open to them with what you may have to do and sometimes you have little control over the outcome. Hopefully they'll understand, which you have to be a parent and sometimes that probably isn't making the decision they'd be in favor of.

Your options are try to find something in that area, where pay may not be the same, your work wouldn't likely be the same. You have to ask yourself, are you ready for a change in job scenery doing what you've done? Or are you willing to pick up your family and move because your opportunities aren't the same where you're living? You have to ask yourself, as well as your family some difficult questions. At the end of the day, it's likely best if you and your spouse are on the same page and hopefully your kids will understand what you'll be going through.

Try to stay positive. I know how difficult that may be, my situation wasn't quite the same but I left my job years ago because I hated what I did and I saw the writing on the wall. I left a job I liked prior to chase money, and it ended up being the wrong decision, but it all worked out in the end anyways. I took time to see if I wanted to go back to school or see what I could do in the work market. I interviewed with so many companies, was off almost a full year, was somehow paying a mortgage (had 2 roommates to help supplement) but had a nice chunk of funds to start with too. I've been with the current company for going on 7 years and I like it. Took a salary hit, but it's not always about money. If you like your industry and want to stay in it and your best outcome would be to move, then I'd say that'd be my suggestion.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll land on your feet.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa

First and foremost, that really sucks you lost your job. It can feel like everything has come to a crash. I lost my job 10 years ago in the recession and was blindsided in the process. However, I found since that it was a blessing in disguise. A few tips:

1. Do not burn bridges (from your tone sounds like while you're upset you don't seem bitter). You just never know who or where you'll come into contact with people in your industry.

2. It's okay to be mad/sad and "grieve" so to speak but after awhile you just have to move on. Take the extra time to focus on family and the time you won't get back.

3. Treat looking for a new job like a full time job. Set hours aside where all you're doing is making connections/calls/research online. Leave no stone unturned.

4. Moving your family could suck and maybe you can find a gig online so you don't have to. However, don't see it as the end of the world. Ultimately you have to provide for your family.

5. See it as an opportunity not a setback. 30 years from now this will be a blip on your radar.

Cyfern

Sep 26, 2019

Do you have a network of friends? Church? Let it be known through places like that. I've been there. Things will work out. Stay off the ledge.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I've never been let go (crossed fingers) but I will add this, in addition to what others have said:

1. My family is my #1 priority in my life. I've made all my career decisions to better my family situation since our kids came along. I've passed on more money/prestige/career advancement to the betterment of them. I believe that if you always do the same, your family will understand and continue to love you for it. That may mean a move which will temporarily disrupt the family life. Your kids, given their age, may be very upset at the lost friendships and sense of normalcy. That may hurt, and hurt a lot, in the short term. But over the long term, they will come to understand you were doing what was needed to put food on the table and provide for them
  2. I work in the heavy civil/highway/bridge construction world. Our industry has not slowed down at all as a result of COVID. If you are a safety professional, I know of many companies that are hiring because the work is still going, if not faster than pre-COVID. There is some uncertainty in 2021 due to DOTs losing gas tax revenue during the shutdown. However, if the feds do a big relief package, that will push a whole bunch of money into our industry.
  3. Just a reiteration of #1, do what is best to support your family. Realize that may mean something temporary that sucks in the short term, but works in the long term. I know of many jobs in the construction field that require 75-100% travel but let you live where you want. That may pull you away from your family, but maybe you do something like that until this passes and you can get back into a job in your geography. Think long-term and short-term. You might have to do something you don't like in the short term, to get you where you want to go long term.

Good luck and God speed.

Reactions: mj4cy

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa

Would venture to say there may be something in manufacturing for you in either Eddyville area or Ottumwa area. Look at Cargill, Ajinomoto, JBS.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron