I got worked up...

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
And posted this on Hawkeye Nation. If any fricken hawk fan says something to me again about how our season goes down hill after the Iowa game, My head's going to explode.

So I'm getting sick on a Monday of hearing all the excuses about how this game is ISU's Super Bowl and such and such.
There is 1 season. COUNT IT. ONE SEASON, that MAY, just MAY back that up. Look at the results of the last 9 years. This crap about how this game is the season for us has to go, but hey, whatever makes you feel better about the loss.

'98-Both were horrible and we happened to win
ended the year 4-7
'99-Again-both horrible and we finished 4-7 again
'00-we won and finished 9-3. Tough to say the Iowa game was our season
'01-Beat you guys at the end of the year to go 7-4. I think your record was the same. Lost our bowl game on a field goal wide right to Alabama.
'02-Beat you guys in game 3 of a 6, COUNT THEM 6 GAME WIN STREAK that was halted after we lost to Oklahoma and the season went down hill from there.
Finished 7-6
'03-WE were horrible and you beat us
'04-you beat us and we went 6-4 the rest of the year and were playing for a conf championship at the end of the year. Tied for Big 12 N.
'05-Beat you guys and went on to win 7 games and lost 3 in OT. Played the last week of the year for a conf division title.
'06-You guys beat us and we were horrible. You guys went 3-7 after you beat us.
Some improvement through the year.

'Clones Fan

Nov 13, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I sure saw a ton of "Beat State" shirts for a game that supposedly doesnt mean anything to them....give me a break, they care.

By the way, the Hawkeye message boards make for some great reading!

GO CLONES!!!!

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
Yep, I count one year (2002) of ISU's 6 victories over the Hawks, when Iowa finished with a better overall record than Iowa State that season.

amyk33

Mar 29, 2006
My take on it...Hawk fans have been saying ISU gets up for this game more than Iowa, blah, blah, blah... Well, if you know it's a problem, if this is happening consistent enough to recognize a pattern, then DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!

The Hawk fans rattle me too, but I haven't said much to them all weekend or today...I think my lack of gloating puts them on edge a bit and I enjoy that! :laugh:

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
When Hawk fans play the "ISU wants this game more than Iowa" card - that's not our problem.

It's yours.

The game is on the schedule, it's no surprise. So if you truely believe the Iowa coaches and players are not as dedicated to winning this game as ISU is - that's a slap in their face.

Last I checked, winning that game is much better than losing it, the win directly helps post-season play. If I were a Hawk fan - I'd be ashamed to know my team didn't want it bad enough.

But...that's all bogus, a Hawk player (that clearly has his head screwed on right) blatantly said they just didn't do enough to win, it didn't come down to not wanting the win.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
Great job wartknight, I think we should all copy that post and paste it into the various threads that come up every year regarding that issue.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Yeah, I enjoyed reading some of the posts on the Hawkeye message boards over the weekend. Very popular comment was how they were going to be going somewhere warm in January (yes, I saw January mentioned some places) and we'll be stuck in crappy old Ames.

I'm not even sure Iowa makes a bowl game at this point. They need 4 more wins.

at Wisconsin? Please.
vs. Indiana? I sure hope so.
at Pent State? No way.
vs. Illinois? Have to pick the Illini at this point.
at Purdue? LOL
vs. Michigan State? They are due.
at Northwestern? When was the last time they even beat them?
vs. Minnesota? For their sake, I hope.
vs. Western Michigan? Typical Little 11 final game. YAWN.

ahaselhu

Sep 10, 2007
Clarinda, IA
Yep, I count one year (2002) of ISU's 6 victories over the Hawks, when Iowa finished with a better overall record than Iowa State that season.

That's interesting, I never realized that. I think the things the Hawk fans look at are more like losing at home to Baylor. Not so much our record, but losing games that we should win, if we'd have even close to the same intensity level that we display against Iowa.

I used to agree with them, but I think last season is a good example of the flaw in that logic. Its not just ISU. Iowa beat us last year, then absolutely tanked after that. The loss at home to Northwestern is very similar to our Baylor loss at home in 2005.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
The whole arguement is BS. Just leave it at that.

Simple reasoning. I went to ISU for years 7-11 of the iowa win streak. Most of us here had to endure some portion of it. And I think we'll all agree that iowa fans were plenty loud and vocal of how important the series was, and how proud of their domination they were, while that was going on.

Now that they're losing however......

Nothing more sad in sports than a dillusional fanbase....

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
If the ISU game means so little to the Hawks, WHY DO THEY STILL PLAY THE GAME?

When Dan McCarney was told that hawk fans say that thee game wasn't important...Dan just chuckled and said that wont fly with me because I was over there for all of those years.

Dan knows that the Iowa State game is very important to hawknation/hawkfans... And anyone with any gray matter will recognize that its only important if the hawks WIN!! If they lose all of a sudden its not important..Yeah Right

I remember robert gallery running as fast as he could to get the trophy from the ISU sideline, if thats not important why not just leave it on the ISU sideline and let some grad assistant/lackey go retrieve it??

It was a great victory #1 for Gene Chizik and it will not make or break our season!!!

Old & Proud of It

herbiedoobie

Jan 3, 2007
Germany
I still think that the reason ISU's season is not as successful as EIU's after they beat the squawks is that EIU isn't that good. It's nice to have a punching bag like EIU to "warm up" on.

It would be even nicer to win some Big XII games. The question might be properly asked, should we be playing some quality teams prior to our Big XII season, rather than patsies like EIU to beat up on year after year?

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
My take on it...Hawk fans have been saying ISU gets up for this game more than Iowa, blah, blah, blah... Well, if you know it's a problem, if this is happening consistent enough to recognize a pattern, then DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!
:

Will they use the same excuse when they lose to Illinois this year?

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
A hawk fan made fun of us for kicking field goals......how low can you get? When we lost last year, I told my buddy "Good game, we just couldn't keep up and got outplayed."

If anything, blame Christianson for not running the ball more and forcing bad passes. Either way, suck it up hawk fans and prepare to get blown out next weekend.