Hyperion Field Club

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
It's a little bit of a drive, but Indianola Country Club has a nice course and the membership is cheap.

It appears they are waiving initiation fee right now.

https://indianolacountryclub.com/membership.php

Id love to join at a little out of town course like Hillcrest in Adel but the convenience of UGCC and Hyperion is a big big plus. UGCC is kind of taking the lead because I can have my own cart there (which kind of makes it like a small town club).

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
Bump. Anyone have any updated numbers for Hyperion? I think the wind is blowing me back towards DSM.

Also does anyone know anything or have any experience with Urbandale GCC? Obviously would rather have the 18 holes and setting at Hyperion but half of the deal is pool for the wife and kid and if UGCC is nice enough and provides value I can live with a 9 hole course and a decent pool.
I play both quite a bit and Urbandale is a nice course but the pool and club house are lacking. Neighbors will call the cops on you for pissing in the trees too.

For family memberships I want to say Urbandale is like $4k per year and Hyperion is $7k but I havent checked on memberships for a couple of years.

Hyperion would be my first choice and it isnt even close.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I play both quite a bit and Urbandale is a nice course but the pool and club house are lacking. Neighbors will call the cops on you for pissing in the trees too.

For family memberships I want to say Urbandale is like $4k per year and Hyperion is $7k but I havent checked on memberships for a couple of years.

Hyperion would be my first choice and it isnt even close.

Funnily enough this could be a deciding factor for me.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I've played a lot of golf at Hyperion and the one knock I have against that course is that the greens are impossible to read. Everything runs towards camp dodge and you just have to trust it and there are times when your eyes will tell you the exact opposite. Sure if you are a member you definitely get a better feel for them but you never can truly read a line. The member I play with there is a really good golfer and he will tell you the same thing.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
They view from the restaurant is great, and their food is really good. And they mix a strong drink.

Gagm.gif

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I've played a lot of golf at Hyperion and the one knock I have against that course is that the greens are impossible to read. Everything runs towards camp dodge and you just have to trust it and there are times when your eyes will tell you the exact opposite. Sure if you are a member you definitely get a better feel for them but you never can truly read a line. The member I play with there is a really good golfer and he will tell you the same thing.

Truth. I have played Hyperion a couple of times and had always been told about the break on the greens. Only took me 1 hole to believe it. EVERYTHING breaks that way, no matter what you “see” in the line. If you trust it though, you can putt lights out there, because the greens are usually in phenomenal shape. No bumps and usually fast, so a lot of “true” rolls. Just have to trust the pull of the old train tracks, because it’s definitely real.

I will say, I wasn’t overly challenged by the course. I think it’s the easiest private course out there. That was not true until that tornado destroyed the course in 1998. It is a completely different course now compared to what it was then. Sad day.

Reactions: Blackhawk6515

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Truth. I have played Hyperion a couple of times and had always been told about the break on the greens. Only took me 1 hole to believe it. EVERYTHING breaks that way, no matter what you “see” in the line. If you trust it though, you can putt lights out there, because the greens are usually in phenomenal shape. No bumps and usually fast, so a lot of “true” rolls. Just have to trust the pull of the old train tracks, because it’s definitely real.

I will say, I wasn’t overly challenged by the course. I think it’s the easiest private course out there. That was not true until that tornado destroyed the course in 1998. It is a completely different course now compared to what it was then. Sad day.

The greens are always in great shape and it's definitely a very scorable golf course. I just hate the uncertainty of "did I guess right" when I'm lining up a put. If you follow "the rule" you will usually fair pretty well.

Zenthar

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 4, 2010
Id love to join at a little out of town course like Hillcrest in Adel but the convenience of UGCC and Hyperion is a big big plus. UGCC is kind of taking the lead because I can have my own cart there (which kind of makes it like a small town club).

I've been trying to get into Hillcrest for 2 years. Their waiting list is insane.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Just throwing it out there that Briarwood became private awhile back and they’re 18 holes with a pool.

Bumping this again and jumping off this:

Any Briarwood or Echo Valley members on here? Looking for membership fees and vibes info...