Hunter Reaffirms Commitment

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I don’t know, you’re the one that said you shouldn’t bench THT because he was one of ISU’s highest recruits ever.

I think you've been around the block long enough to know that wasn't my argument.

"Wigginton was so highly ranked so he should start!" is what is being refuted.

This is technically true. Wigginton had an impressive pedigree. But so did Horton-Tucker. And Horton-Tucker has gone on to do more and was much more desired by the NBA than Wigginton. Recruiting rankings are nice but, once a young man is on campus, I would say their productivity matters more.

Ergo, starting Horton-Tucker over Wigginton was not an unreasonable decision. When it came to actual on-court production and efficiency, the two of them were pretty similar to each other. It is certainly not one of the profound errors that led to the downfall of the Prohm regime the past two years.

I would worry about stuff that actually devastated the program under Prohm's watch, like, for instance, passing on McKinley Wright IV (a future All-American) for Darius McNeill, not hiring Kyle Green (and A.J. with him) when he had the chance a few years ago, and the string of 4* recruits who busted (e.g., Lewis).

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I think you've been around the block long enough to know that wasn't my argument.

"Wigginton was so highly ranked so he should start!" is what is being refuted.

This is technically true. Wigginton had an impressive pedigree. But so did Horton-Tucker. And Horton-Tucker has gone on to do more and was much more desired by the NBA than Wigginton. Recruiting rankings are nice but, once a young man is on campus, I would say their productivity matters more.

Ergo, starting Horton-Tucker over Wigginton was not an unreasonable decision. When it came to actual on-court production and efficiency, the two of them were pretty similar to each other. It is certainly not one of the profound errors that led to the downfall of the Prohm regime the past two years.

I would worry about stuff that actually devastated the program under Prohm's watch, like, for instance, passing on McKinley Wright IV (a future All-American) for Darius McNeill, not hiring Kyle Green (and A.J. with him) when he had the chance a few years ago, and the string of 4* recruits who busted (e.g., Lewis).
Can you see how the bolded below could be construed to be not what you’re saying above?
Starting Wigginton means benching either...

-- two fifth-year seniors, one of which played in the NBA and won first-team all-Big 12, and the other one has had a successful overseas career and was the only experienced PG on the roster

-- the 12th overall pick and a contender for NBA ROTY as a 20-year old

-- replacing the #4 recruit in school history, one drafted and who won an NBA ring... unlike Wigginton

This "Wigginton should have started!" meme is so old. He wasn't clearly better than any of those four.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Can you see how the bolded below could be construed to be not what you’re saying above?

No. I can't see why you'd misread it like that.

The point was Horton-Tucker wasn't some slouch -- using the evidence of the same recruiting rankings that the Wigginton martyrdom crowd use as evidence of his martyrdom.

That plus the, oh, you know, the ring, when Wigginton hasn't logged a minute in the NBA.

It isn't that difficult.

I think you're bright enough to know nobody would seriously argue the way a coach should set a lineup is taking his five-highest rated recruits and trotting them out there. And that is, that only, with no regard to their actual productivity, effort on the court, experience, or filling out necessary roles.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
No. I can't see why you'd misread it like that.

The point was Horton-Tucker wasn't some slouch -- using the evidence of the same recruiting rankings that the Wigginton martyrdom crowd use as evidence of his martyrdom.

That plus the, oh, you know, the ring, when Wigginton hasn't logged a minute in the NBA.

It isn't that difficult.

I think you're bright enough to know nobody would seriously argue the way a coach should set a lineup is taking his five-highest rated recruits and trotting them out there. And that is, that only, with no regard to their actual productivity, effort on the court, experience, or filling out necessary roles.
Unless Prohm had some ability to read the future, I don’t know if the fact that THT won a ring with the Lakers really would have played a part in the decision of who starts.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Unless Prohm had some ability to read the future, I don’t know if the fact that THT won a ring with the Lakers really would have played a part in the decision of who starts.

I don't see why we can't use some hindsight to determine that, yes, Prohm picked the more talented of the two of them to start (imperfect and increasingly antiquated recruiting rankings notwithstanding after a player has been on campus), and their subsequent careers are bearing that judgement out well.

• Winner
Reactions: Thorongil Clone

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I don't see why we can't use some hindsight to determine that, yes, Prohm picked the more talented of the two of them to start (imperfect and increasingly antiquated recruiting rankings notwithstanding after a player has been on campus), and their subsequent careers are bearing that judgement out well.
Oh Sig, never stop being you.

• Dumb
Reactions: Sigmapolis