How many of you and your family are ISU alums?

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
My entire immediate family--mom, dad, and all three siblings. At least one aunt I can think of, two cousins on the other side of the family, one of their wives, and now one of my cousin's son. My husband was the first in his family to come to ISU, his younger brother came here too (out of state). His brother met his wife here, so she is an ISU grad as well. My girls and I were just walking on campus today, hoping they will be doing that for school in 8-10 years!

GottaTri

Jul 26, 2012
Really am impressed by the family heritages in this thread.

My wife and I both are first generation graduates for our respective families, let alone ISU specific.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
You guys who have entire families and beyond that all graduated from Iowa State makes me jealous, yet proud that I am the first and only from my family to have graduated from Iowa State.

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
My husband's dad, aunt, and her husband are all alums.

The one cousin on that side went to Central, but cheers for ISU and married an ISU grad. We don't speak of the other cousin that went to Iowa. :wink:

Husband's stepbrother is a current student at the age of forty-something. (GI Bill, I believe?)

Yeah, husband attended but didn't graduate.

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
Most of my family except me. Mom, dad, brother, 3 cousins and 2 uncles. My sister and I are the black sheep but both cheer for the Cyclones. I did take a couple summer classes at Iowa State.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
Just me. It's pretty cool that we're on a wall. I'll have to check it out when I'm there Saturday.
Just hope your name is in red and not yellow on the wall. My name is in yellow, and made it so much more difficult to find.

web1_unnamed_13.jpg

BudxCbTCAAEBR98.jpg

(The second photo came from a tweet the ISU alumni association retweeted.)

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
My Dad graduated in 1971. He had 3 or 4 first cousins that attended around that time. And a few of his cousins had kids who attended in the late 80's or 90's.

I started in 1997 and since then I've had a sibling or first cousin at Iowa State every year. In my immediate family, 4 out of the 5 kids attended Iowa State. Next year, is the first year that I won't have any cousins at Iowa State, but my cousin has a daughter that is considering Iowa State and my Dad's cousin's daughter is also considering Iowa State. Both are out of state kids who have been pretty impressed with Iowa State.

abd4cy

Jul 16, 2010
Phoenix
I am the only Alum in my family (they are all Iowa fans, and not so coincidentally I am the first to graduate from college). My sister will be the 2nd alum this spring. Both of us are the only ones to go to a state school.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
That's awesome. What building is this in?

The Varied Industries Building.

The ISU exhibit, located in the northeast corner of the Varied Industries Building, will be open from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. each day of the fair. Custer said the exhibit also will feature video highlights from the university’s year in athletic events, and fair-goers may take their photos with the Iowa Corn CyHawk Series trophy, as well as the Big 12 championship trophies for the men’s basketball and women’s cross country titles. - See more at: http://amestrib.com/news/isu-s-iowa-state-fair-exhibit-names-more-97000-alumni#sthash.9ixYe5XW.dpuf

ISUKing

Apr 27, 2010
Ankeny, IA
My step-grandpa, my uncle, my cousin, my wife and I are the only ISU grads in my family.

It was pretty cool searching for our names on the wall.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron