Housing market

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Most Americans that own a home are in survival mode? Any links to that?

It never ceases to amaze me the ability that college-educated upper-middle class people have to talk themselves into the belief they're some sort of proletariat that needs a ton of help to get by.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
It never ceases to amaze me the ability that college-educated upper-middle class people have to talk themselves into the belief they're some sort of proletariat that needs a ton of help to get by.

I should have gone down to the ravine earlier because when I walked through earlier today all the trees were chopped down and the creek was dammed up to create a more sustainable water supply for the area.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Agree that ag lenders are doing a better job protecting themselves, and that right now there is a lot of cash in farmers hands. However, looking at input costs, machinery repairs, upcoming rents, taxes, that excess equity is going to be leaned upon by March. 21 and 22 were great years for ag / farmers. I wonder if 23 will start the pendulum back to tighter margins and a slow down in farmland values.
23 will be okay. 24 is the question mark. Prices are still above break even with insurance yields and if you lock some sales in, 24 could be interesting, probably why I’ve received so many random offers on my hog facility. The difference between pumping costs and similar commercial costs are about $175/acre.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Yes, it is their own issues most of the time, but this is not going to be like most of the time. The markets are so out of whack that a lot of people who have done everything right will get screwed too.
What you aren’t remembering correctly is that it is always who do things correct that get screwed. The morons get bailed out. I better stop so I don’t get cave worthy.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
What you aren’t remembering correctly is that it is always who do things correct that get screwed. The morons get bailed out. I better stop so I don’t get cave worthy.

This is America. Everyone gets “bailed out” in one way or another. That’s what makes this country great. We don’t let people fail when it’s at all possible.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
This is America. Everyone gets “bailed out” in one way or another. That’s what makes this country great. We don’t let people fail when it’s at all possible.

Classic Gunner. Lots of incomprehensible riddles but occasional flashes of brilliance.

Reactions: Gunnerclone

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
Careful to everyone using Zillow for home valuation. Occasionally it is spot on, sometimes it is +/-20%!

iowastatefan1929

Oct 26, 2006

Agreed, but its not going to stay that way. The whole society will plummet into poverty once new money dries up. Luckily our leaders are unbelievably sharp with a tinge of evil. They are going to gobble up European capital to keep this train rolling for another decade.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
I think our definitions of “survival mode” are different.
By survival mode, I mean less than $5,000 in bank account and savings combined and possibly some credit card debt. If a significant purpose needed to be made, such as a medical procedure or some other sudden thing, the people in this category would need to take out a loan to cover the bill. It would be life changing.

Reactions: drmwevr08

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Zillow has my house valued at 12% lower than Redfin and 5% higher than Movato.

Short story? No one knows.

The other day I checked both Zillow and Redfin and they converged on almost exactly the same number. This is the 3rd house I’ve owned since Redfin became a thing and I’ve never seen that happen. Usually Zillow feels crazy high and Redfin feels somewhat low.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
By survival mode, I mean less than $5,000 in bank account and savings combined and possibly some credit card debt. If a significant purpose needed to be made, such as a medical procedure or some other sudden thing, the people in this category would need to take out a loan to cover the bill. It would be life changing.

If you qualify for a credit card or a loan then it’s unlikely you are in “survival mode”.

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
If you qualify for a credit card or a loan then it’s unlikely you are in “survival mode”.
The way banks, well pretty much any company, falls over themselves to give out loans, payment plans, store cards, etc. this is not true. If you breathe you can find debt in the US, that’s the qualifier, and in some cases they ignore it.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
The way banks, well pretty much any company, falls over themselves to give out loans, payment plans, store cards, etc. this is not true. If you breathe you can find debt in the US, that’s the qualifier, and in some cases they ignore it.

When my credit and income picture was piss poor I didn't find this to be the case. At all.

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
One of my buddies is a local bank president and he said that last fall he had to tell a lender to stop bringing him HELOC's for homes sold in our town that had purchased their home in the last 0-12 months.
The proposed HELOC's were pushing the Loan to Value back up to 90% in some instances.

Basically, the prices exploded over the last three years here, and morons (bankers included) were thinking that with all that new value in their homes, they should pull out equity and either spend or invest it in the market.

The lender couldn't understand that it might not be the best approach for a bank to make a loan requiring 20% down on home, then less than 12 months later return all (and in some instances more) of that cash to the buyer at potentially the peak of the stock and housing market.

We as a society haven't learned anything in the last 15 years.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: clonedude

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
One of my buddies is a local bank president and he said that last fall he had to tell a lender to stop bringing him HELOC's for homes sold in our town that had purchased their home in the last 0-12 months.
The proposed HELOC's were pushing the Loan to Value back up to 90% in some instances.

Basically, the prices here exploded over the last three years here, and morons (bankers included) were thinking that with all that new value in their homes, they should pull out equity and either spend or invest it in the market.

The lender couldn't understand that it might not be the best approach for a bank to make a loan requiring 20% down on home, then less than 12 months later return all (and in some instances more) of that cash to the buyer at potentially the peak of the stock and housing market.

There are soMe lenders paid on commission or bonuses for what they write. If that’s not totally messed up and counter productive

Reactions: Big Daddy Kang

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale

Basically, the prices here exploded over the last three years here, and morons (bankers included) were thinking that with all that new value in their homes, they should pull out equity and either spend or invest it in the market.

Some have learned, but greed and vanity will ultimately win out.