Housing market

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Somebody has to be losing money in real terms on a 2.6% rate versus 8% inflation.
In the long run, it's you and me, brother. Either your insurance rates will shoot up, or your I(name your state)PERS return will come up short so the state will throw in money to cover the shortfall from poor investments and hit the general pop on taxes.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
In the long run, it's you and me, brother. Either your insurance rates will shoot up, or your I(name your state)PERS return will come up short so the state will throw in money to cover the shortfall from poor investments and hit the general pop on taxes.

I hope to be dead by then.

You will be dead if you continue to note public pension funds have a lot of "off-balance sheet assets" in the form of future taxpayers' money that allows them to overpromise despite mismanagement.

DrewCo

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 14, 2008
Quad Cities
Wont help the housing market...
Actually, this is a positive sign. It shows that the Fed is slowing their initial plans, and that the positive inflation reports are being noticed and taken into account. This rate hike wont actually impact interest rates, as most had planned for a higher rate hike and rates already have that baked in. If anything, actually this news will likely lower rates slightly (at least specific to the housing market).

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
Actually, this is a positive sign. It shows that the Fed is slowing their initial plans, and that the positive inflation reports are being noticed and taken into account. This rate hike wont actually impact interest rates, as most had planned for a higher rate hike and rates already have that baked in. If anything, actually this news will likely lower rates slightly (at least specific to the housing market).
Interest rates were on decline the last month+, but this will not drive them lower. In the article I posted, banks are predicting rates to tick up.

• Winner
Reactions: 83cy

DrewCo

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 14, 2008
Quad Cities
Interest rates were on decline the last month+, but this will not drive them lower. In the article I posted, banks are predicting rates to tick up.
In the article you posted, it sees the Fed raising rates to 5% in 2023- You realize that mortgages rates are currently in the high 5% to low 6% range, because initial reports in the fall when rates began to rise were indicating that number to be closer to 6%. Mortgage rates shot up so drastically because they were anticipating steeper and more aggressive rate hikes than what we have seen initially- this is why the news today was actually promising. Mortgage rates are progressive rather than reactionary. This is why you saw mortgage rates stay steady (actually small pricing improvements) today when the Fed announced this.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
Had a random realtor page pop up on my facebook feed. Some houses in Bonderant. Man my jaw hit the floor the type of houses they are asking 500k for. I mean, decent houses but nothing special. The market has got to be in a bubble or something. Saw another house for 850k that just a few years ago would have been maybe 600k...just crazy.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I'm just not going to be impressed being down to 7% from 8% when the goal is 2%.
A lot of this is from looking back from this year to last year though. Immediate inflation can be at zero and still stay at high numbers when looking YoY due to the inflation we saw earlier in the year. CPI is 7.1% YoY but only .1% MoM.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
In the article you posted, it sees the Fed raising rates to 5% in 2023- You realize that mortgages rates are currently in the high 5% to low 6% range, because initial reports in the fall when rates began to rise were indicating that number to be closer to 6%. Mortgage rates shot up so drastically because they were anticipating steeper and more aggressive rate hikes than what we have seen initially- this is why the news today was actually promising. Mortgage rates are progressive rather than reactionary. This is why you saw mortgage rates stay steady (actually small pricing improvements) today when the Fed announced this.
Please show these 5% rates. Most I've seen are knocking on the door of 7%