Hawks Vickie Brown fired

OPButtrey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 21, 2010
We will mop the floors with Iowa on their home xc course next week. Could probably strap 10 pound weights on the backs of all our runners and still beat Iowa.

Not helping.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Not a shocker to be fair
Somewhat shocking for this to be done with 8 matches left on their schedule. Given Barta's past history with lawsuits from fired coaches, It is interesting that TOE's press release indicates that Brown is being terminated, without cause.

That loss to TOE by ISU is looking worse by the day and given ISU's bubble status, it could end up keeping ISU out of the NCAA tourney this season which would be sickening.

• Agree
Reactions: cyputz

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
We will mop the floors with Iowa on their home xc course next week. Could probably strap 10 pound weights on the backs of all our runners and still beat Iowa.

I'm a cross country fan but having cross country as the only other sport we beat the Hawks in regularly is pretty pathetic. At least when we are getting whumped I can sarcastically remark "We're a cross country school!".

Even as far as we've fallen in volleyball it was pretty shocking to not even take a set this year. Woof. :(

• Agree

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
If I am the committee and ISU is on the bubble ( which they are) that loss to Iowa takes ISU out of consideration. Unfortunately-

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I haven't watched this year like past years. What's with us losing one day and winning the next or winning and losing the next in this back-to-back games. Same team but it's 3-1 and than 1-3 the next day or visa versa. No depth?

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
I haven't watched this year like past years. What's with us losing one day and winning the next or winning and losing the next in this back-to-back games. Same team but it's 3-1 and than 1-3 the next day or visa versa. No depth?
Other teams make adjustments and we seem to struggle doing that. Injuries and covid protocols have been a factor but consistency has not
been a part of her teams since Schaben left. We were at the tail end of consistency when she was here to be fair.

• Agree

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Last weekend vs WV is easily explained, Holthaus and Popovic didn't play the 2nd match due to COVID protocols thus the split.

Other split matches vs Tech and KU are due to adjustments as Cyfan1965 alluded to and due to the inconsistencies of a couple of positions, most notably at OH opposite Holthaus.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
If I am the committee and ISU is on the bubble ( which they are) that loss to Iowa takes ISU out of consideration. Unfortunately-
I'm not sure how you can say that out of hand without context. What if the other teams on the bubble have a worse headscratching loss?

When trying to get into the tournament you aren't competing against some nebulous standard, you are competing against the other teams on the bubble trying to get in.