Happy Joe's overseas

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
We had it catered in for a lunch meeting here in WDM a while back. Still about as meh as I remember. Everyone always raved about their taco pizza, but that ranks pretty close to the bottom of types of pizza I would eat.
I've never been a big fan of the Urbandale to go location. The dine in at the old Meredith and 86th location was legit though.

Pharmacy99

Feb 7, 2013
We had it catered in for a lunch meeting here in WDM a while back. Still about as meh as I remember. Everyone always raved about their taco pizza, but that ranks pretty close to the bottom of types of pizza I would eat.
I worked at Happy Joe’s in late 80’s. I was a delivery driver and pizza maker for the store in Madison Ave near Merle Hay Mall. By far, this is the best job I have ever had.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I was a pizza maker at HJ in Cascade as a teen, that was my first job. The reason HJ is better is the real ingredients, especially the cheese. Also more expensive. It is still my favorite, though I love hitting GPSD when in Ames.

There are a couple HJ in Cedar Rapids, one at BF and Edgewood, and another on the SW side. I think both are take out only though.

Is the one behind Kennedy Mall in DBQ still open? That place was an absolute time portal to 1979 last time I was there, maybe 10 years ago.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I was a pizza maker at HJ in Cascade as a teen, that was my first job. The reason HJ is better is the real ingredients, especially the cheese. Also more expensive. It is still my favorite, though I love hitting GPSD when in Ames.

There are a couple HJ in Cedar Rapids, one at BF and Edgewood, and another on the SW side. I think both are take out only though.

Is the one behind Kennedy Mall in DBQ still open? That place was an absolute time portal to 1979 last time I was there, maybe 10 years ago.

There is a dine-in location at Town and Country

Reactions: CascadeClone

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Toy Store (can't recall the name) to check out the new TMNT characters, Tilt, end the afternoon at Happy Joe's.
You must be younger than me. The arcade at Lindale in my day was called Goldmine. They must have renamed it?

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
I've never been a big fan of the Urbandale to go location. The dine in at the old Meredith and 86th location was legit though.
I think there used to be dine in location around 35th and EP True in WDM. Been closed for probably a decade or more. I just never was a fan of it when I lived in Ames even though people would rave about it.

• Agree
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Happy Joes in Muscatine was excellent when I interned there in 2012 (just realized it has been 10 years). Not sure if it is still there but at the time they were one of the few locations that still made their dough fresh in store.

• Agree
Reactions: ianoconnor

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I think there used to be dine in location around 35th and EP True in WDM. Been closed for probably a decade or more. I just never was a fan of it when I lived in Ames even though people would rave about it.

Yeah I think that one closed at least 10 years ago.

DBQR4CY

Jun 7, 2013
Ankeny(By way of Dubuque)

Yes, the one in Dubuque behind the mall is still open. It's a bit of a time warp but the stained glass is pretty great. Kids can still watch pizzas being made through a window and they still use actual ovens, not a conveyer belt.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron