Greatest Cyclone Quarterback

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
All I know is that Purdy cost us the Alamo Bowl and the Iowa game last year with TO's. Those are just the two that come to mind right off the top of my head. He did save us the UNI loss by jumping on a fumble though.

There was another game, besides the Alamo Bowl, where Purdy came out and threw 2 INT's on our first two possessions, I just can't remember which one it was now? We may have even come back to win that game, I can't remember?

You don't think other factors contributed to those losses?

Now, his turnovers in the OSU loss were pretty horrible, but so was ISU's tackling early in the game.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
Purdy should throw for 4,000 yards in each of his junior and senior years, which would put him in the area of top-10 all-time in the category of passing yards for the history of DI football.

For some comparison, Bret Meyer is 152nd all-time with his school-record 9,499 passing yards.

Statistics are not the be-all, end-all in discussions of greatest. However, 4,000 yards this year and/or next should put the football team in position to do the following:

• Possibly play in the Big 12 Championship game. Which is something no other Cyclone quarterback has done. Whether we win it or not.
  • Even if we were to make the championship game and lose, we could play in a New Year's 6 game, if the winner made the playoff. Another thing no Cyclone quarterback has ever done.
  • If we were to play in a NY6 game, that could put Purdy in position to be a Heisman finalist.
Should any or all of those happen, the statistics would be a nice accent to the other achievements, and that would make Purdy the greatest Cyclone quarterback.

Reactions: CYdTracked

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Right now in my lifetime I would rank them Rosenfels, Wallace, and Purdy as top 3 but I think Purdy if he stays on track will leapfrog them both once he is done at ISU. Sage broke the bowl drought and had a long NFL career. Seneca had one of the most memorable 2 years than any QB in ISU history has. Purdy will likely leave ISU with a lot of records that will take a special QB to break them.

I was attending ISU when Sage and Seneca were the QB (98-02) and they were 2 different types of QBs so its hard to really fault either of them because both had some very memorable moments in ISU history. I would probably give the edge to Sage by a very slim margin because while he did not have the speed and mobility that Seneca had, I think he had better poise in the pocket and was forced to make plays with his arm because he didn't have the gift that Seneca had to just tuck it in and run when there was nothing there. Sage probably had a better OL than Seneca did too. I hope that with the success Purdy has had that in the near future we are having this same debate with the next QB to follow him.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Lineup

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Not sure why this warrants a dumb rating (my first though, which I feel honored). He was the starting qb for my time at ISU and lead the team to their first bowl game in forever. Figured he deserved some love.

I'm sure it had nothing to do with him throwing 42 interceptions against Iowa.

DrClone

Jun 13, 2009
I think it's between Seneca and Purdy. I think Seneca was our most athletic and most exciting to watch. Also agree I think Sage had a better team around him and Senecas win/loss record would have been better with Sages' teams.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I think it's between Seneca and Purdy. I think Seneca was our most athletic and most exciting to watch. Also agree I think Sage had a better team around him and Senecas win/loss record would have been better with Sages' teams.
I was lucky enough to meet Sage at a summer camp when I was in high school. People don't realize but he could been a professional tennis player. He was a really great mult-sport athlete. I don't even remember what else he played but I know he could have made money in at least three different sports.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
So we have an All-American that was named Conference player of the year over a Heisman trophy winner that also won a national championship and this is really even a discussion?

clone4sure

Sep 5, 2014
Two games jump out at me from the QB position. David Archer vs Nebraska, he threw for over 300 yds. and completely frustrated and humiliated one of the top defenses in the NCAA. Brett Meyers performance against Texas A&M 2005. Those two games were fun to watch. Brock Purdy still has two years left, he has the ability to lead us to our first Big XII Championship. if he does this,it would be hard to argue he is the Best All Time QB. IMO

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
When team outcomes are tied into these things it's a mess but Archer is for sure undersold in this discussion.

• Agree
Reactions: jcyclonee