Great cover songs

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Excellent choice. Saw Sure Sure open for Hippo Campus and have been a big fan ever since. Another excellent debut with several great songs (like Fat Lady).
Lucky, I've been trying to get out to see Hippo Campus since I moved up to the cities. That sounds like a great show.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
Tainted Love/Where did Our Love Go - Soft Cell (Gloria Jones - Tainted Love, Supremes- Where Did Our Love go). The extended version with the Where Did Our Love Go bit is the far superior version.

Gary Jules - Mad World (Tears For Fears original cover featured in Donnie Darko). This is superior to the original in every way, shape and form. A prime example of how powerful a song can be when it's sung right. And that's specific to the vocal delivery, not the lyrics or the "quality" of the voice.

Teardrops - Roosevelt (Womack and Womack sang the orgingal which was a huge hit in Europe in the late 80s). Most on here have probably never heard this song which is sang by Roosevelt (Marius Lauber) a German indie artist. Before each tour he picks an 80s tune and does a rework and a release, with this one being done for his first US headlining tour in late 2016 (following his eponymous debut release which is one of my favorite albums of the last 10 years). One of the keys of his best songs is the integration of killer bass grooves and strong clap beats/percussion and he nails it here. IMHO the original by Womack and Womack is terrible. Unfortunately his following to covers of Fleetwood Mac's "Everywhere" and Fiction Factory's "Feels Like Heaven" haven't been nearly a good.

Some other great covers were already mentioned in here (All Along the Watchtower and Hurt)

Bad take on TFF. You can like the cover more, but the person who actually wrote it deserves all the credit, 100% of the time.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Bad take on TFF. You can like the cover more, but the person who actually wrote it deserves all the credit, 100% of the time.

Deserves the credit for what, writing a great song? Absolutely. Anything more than that, not really.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
Deserves the credit for what, writing a great song? Absolutely. Anything more than that, not really.

Since the songwriters get the credit forever and usually get paid off of other people's versions, they probably aren't that torn up about it.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015

If that's your take on covers why are you even here?

I'm a big TFF fan and have see them 3 times live. Love their music. With that said Jules' version evokes a level of emotion and feeling the original doesn't even come close to attaining. It's just perfect.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Lucky, I've been trying to get out to see Hippo Campus since I moved up to the cities. That sounds like a great show.

They put on a good a good show. They will be at the Armory, which is a kick ass venue if you've never been, on Saturday, April 23rd. If it works for you I'd buy tickets within the next month as it will likely sell out. The TCs show strong support for local artists and these guys keep getting bigger. There's about 3k tickets left so you should be good for the next month, maybe 2 but after that it will get dicey, especially if we aren't in a Covid mess come April.

Tbh I like Sure Sure a lot more. Saw them solo a couple of times after they opened for Hippo Campus (who are pretty self-absorbed) and they are VERY down to earth guys. Had a good conversation with their lead guitarist after a show. Told them they were going to keep blowing up as they were too goo not to.

Another artist I talked to and told the same thing was Eric Burton from Black Pumas. Was lucky enough to see them at the Record Bar in KC when they were opening for St Paul and the Broken Bones, who didnt' play here (Pumas booked a solo show as it was an open date along the touring path). They blew me away and I had to wait 9 months for the album to drop so I could hear the songs again.

• Informative
Reactions: srjclone

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
They put on a good a good show. They will be at the Armory, which is a kick ass venue if you've never been, on Saturday, April 23rd. If it works for you I'd buy tickets within the next month as it will likely sell out. The TCs show strong support for local artists and these guys keep getting bigger. There's about 3k tickets left so you should be good for the next month, maybe 2 but after that it will get dicey, especially if we aren't in a Covid mess come April.

Tbh I like Sure Sure a lot more. Saw them solo a couple of times after they opened for Hippo Campus (who are pretty self-absorbed) and they are VERY down to earth guys. Had a good conversation with their lead guitarist after a show. Told them they were going to keep blowing up as they were too goo not to.

Another artist I talked to and told the same thing was Eric Burton from Black Pumas. Was lucky enough to see them at the Record Bar in KC when they were opening for St Paul and the Broken Bones, who didnt' play here (Pumas booked a solo show as it was an open date along the touring path). They blew me away and I had to wait 9 months for the album to drop so I could hear the songs again.
The Armory is a great spot, lived downtown msp 2+ years back and only 3 blocks from the Armory. Saw Greta Van Fleet there, and actually ran into the Kiszka brothers walking out of the local CVS the afternoon of their show haha.

Have a few buddies who have seen Black Pumas (hinterlands and basilica block party), and heard they are very good.

Hippo Campus was a band I was in on early and always seemed to miss their shows because of something else. I've not kept up with them as regularly, but enjoy the local stations who put on the MN talent, and seem to root for their success because of it. I'll look into the show in April, much appreciated!