Grass Lots - Okie State Edition

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

yler4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 23, 2009
Ankeny, IA
I figured I haven't seen a discussion on this yet, so have at it boyzz!

I think they will be open, but you just never know.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Grass lots will be fine, the rest of the week is dry.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
I think they should be OK but it is raining this morning. Should be the last precip for the week.

Issue will be how wet were they before this latest rain and how well can they dry considering the cool, fall temperatures we'll experience up until gameday?

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I think they should be OK but it is raining this morning. Should be the last precip for the week.

Issue will be how wet were they before this latest rain and how well can they dry considering the cool, fall temperatures we'll experience up until gameday?

Can't have a home game week without worrying about the grass lots.

There's a big system up in the Sioux City area as we speak. Appears to be moving straight east. If it stays in tact the south end of it might clip Ames.

Kinda sucks that the high temp for Saturday keeps creeping downward. Was 60 a couple of days ago, now 56.

Cytasticlone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 22, 2012
Ames, IA

NWS records say we've gotten 1.80" since Satureday with 1.08" of that Monday being the last significant amount. I imagine the lots will be OK as long as some of these showers don't drop a lot more today. I don't think they're supposed to do much though. On a side note: Saturday is supposed to be a bit breezier with some gusts in the 20's during game time. Really excited for that with the kicking game being so reliable lately... ;)

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
Should be all open. The real question is how does the field look. I haven't seen the turf guys post any pictures lately

yler4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 23, 2009
Ankeny, IA
Should be all open. The real question is how does the field look. I haven't seen the turf guys post any pictures lately

Last night Channel 13 did a little segment on ISU and they showed the report inside JT and the field crew was working on the sidelines of the field. They had the field surface covered with a tarp. If I had to guess, the field crew will be waiting for the precipitation to stop and then will remove the tarp to work on the playing surface.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Last night Channel 13 did a little segment on ISU and they showed the report inside JT and the field crew was working on the sidelines of the field. They had the field surface covered with a tarp. If I had to guess, the field crew will be waiting for the precipitation to stop and then will remove the tarp to work on the playing surface.
That’s the grow tarp probably.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Athletic department just sent an email:

Portions of parking lot G7 will be available for Saturday’s football game between Iowa State and Oklahoma State. Parking will remain available in that lot as long as conditions still allow for it.

In the event suitable areas for parking in lot G7 become full, or if you would prefer to avoid the unpredictable conditions in lot G7, you will be able to show your G7 parking pass to gain access to paved parking areas at the Veterinary Medicine parking lots, as long as spots remain available.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Does this mean that Vet Med is not open to the public?

mkheath

Aug 26, 2013
Council Bluffs, IA
Does this mean that Vet Med is not open to the public?
We called the Athletic Office since the press release wasn't super clear and they told us that for Vet Med, you have to have a G7 pass. It will not be open to the public. I asked her why because if G7 is partially closed, there is plenty of room at Vet Med for both public and G7 people and she just repeated that there wasn't any public parking at Vet Med......

• Informative
Reactions: Cycsk

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
At a bare minimum they have to get G7 paved because that lot absolutely f**** the parking situation when its closed.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
I wish they could have put an estimate as to what % of G7 is accessible.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I sure hope G4/G5 has some parking available. With no rain in the forecast hoping they dry out enough to at least park the higher areas.

huntt26

Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
How is everyone else reading this as far as parking availability for G2/G3 and G4/G5?

Sounds like hardly any parking in those lots for cars only and most of those limited spots will be in G2/G3

"Very limited general public parking will be available in the grass lots along South 16th Street, mainly in lot G2/G3. Only cars will be allowed to park, no RVs, buses, or other oversized vehicles will be permitted."

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I was surprised too see standing water along the edge of South 16th yet this morning. It was too dark to see what the lots looked like.