Google Fi

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Anyone have it? I have been kicking around switching to it as it would likely be a little cheaper but I am worried about coverage. We would also have to buy new phones as we currently have iPhones and it doesn't work as seamlessly with those.

pyrocyz

Jun 2, 2006
Ames
I have never had any issues with coverage in iowa or nationwide with my google FI. I love it.

ccruzen

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 19, 2009
Urbandale
I used to have it and never had any issues with coverage. I loved it and miss it sometimes.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
I've had it for a couple years now. Iowa coverage is fine with US Cellular. I've never been out of service wherever I've gone, one of the 3 providers will always some type of signal.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I've had it since it was called Project Fi. I have enjoyed using it too. I am not a heavy data user, so this plan works for me.

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
I have Republic Wireless and have had really good luck. Runs me about $23/month.

salennon07

Aug 4, 2016
I've always gotten confused about cell phones when switching regarding the SIM card and what it means to be unlocked. If I have a US Cellular S9+ would i be able to switch to google FI?

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
I tried it before right when the US cellular towers were added. It worked ok but wouldn't want to switch out from sprint or tomobile and had to force it to US cellular. If they've improved the switching, that should help alot. I dropped it because I couldn't get hardly any signal outside of the metro area.

It is AMAZING for international travel.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
We've been on Google Fi for over a year and haven't had any coverage issues. We aren't heavy data users so it's a perfect plan for us.

Most of our time has been spent in the Midwest but we've also been to both coasts and Canada. No issues during any of those trips. The international coverage is a pretty sweet deal. No extra costs when texting or using data.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
I've always gotten confused about cell phones when switching regarding the SIM card and what it means to be unlocked. If I have a US Cellular S9+ would i be able to switch to google FI?

The phone hardware should be compatible. As far as unlocking the device and swapping a SIM, typically the carrier will unlock the device once you own it outright. If you are still under some kind of contract, lease, installment bill plan or whatever you will probably need to resolve that before you can take the phone elsewhere.

JBone84

Nov 30, 2006
Rochester, MN
I have had it for about four years. Mostly use it in the Rochester, MN area, Rockford, IL area, and rural Iowa areas. No issues with coverage at all.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Guessing since we will be switching from Verizon that service in and around the stadium on gamedays will be improved as well?

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Guessing since we will be switching from Verizon that service in and around the stadium on gamedays will be improved as well?

While I can't compare Fi with Verizon since I've never had Verizon, I can say I haven't had any problems with service at games this season.

LeaningCy

Jan 18, 2008
We have used it for the last few years and are happy with it.

Pros: cheap, reliable coverage (at least using Google hardware), awesome for international travel - truly seamless with great coverage

Cons: On my Google device, I sometimes have issues where I call someone and they can't hear me, even though I can hear them. Usually calling back or restarting works, but it has been annoying a few times since I work remotely and am on the phone constantly. Seems to be a common issue with Pixel users.

Another thing to watch out for: my brother uses it with a Samsung device and has coverage issues in rural areas. Just something to check into if you're not going to use the Pixel.

BigGame

Nov 21, 2011
My wife and I have had it for over 2 years now and really, really like it. We use mostly in Central Iowa, but also while traveling to visit family several times a year in Eastern and far Western Iowa. Also while traveling to Nebraska, Wisconsin etc...Like the phones, LOVE the price, especially compared to Verizon. Really love the service and phone reliability, especially compared to Sprint. Everything is super easy to setup, and if you are usually on wifi, it's very cheap. My wife and I pay around $50 total. If you do give it a try, you can try this referral code and we both save $20. If not from me, you should ask someone else, since who couldn't use $20 for free. Good luck

https://g.co/fi/r/YK57AW

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
Has anyone used an Iphone on Fi? Curious as to their experience. I'd really like to get off sprint but i use quite a bit of data so I would have to go the unlimited route and 50 a month is hard to beat as a single. (Trying to recruit my gf and her mom to get on a plan together.)

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron