Golf Tournament Ideas

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CyState85

May 8, 2019
A group of us run a golf tournament (4-Person Best Shot) and we are looking for new ideas/wrinkles to improve our event. We are in our second year and want to create a full tournament this year. What types of things have you seen included with these events? Obviously, we have great pin events, hole in one sponsors, hole sponsors, a good meal, and gift bags for every player. Want to avoid any raffles if at all possible since it becomes a hassle sometimes to get them to players. Thanks for any tips!

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
My favorite pin contest I’ve seen is a cooler in the middle of a long fairway. Closest to it or first to hit it or something like that won the cooler and everything inside which was filled with nice liquor I believe. I think they charge people $5-$10 to attempt it and I’m guessing you could make your money back pretty quickly

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
My favorite pin contest I’ve seen is a cooler in the middle of a long fairway. Closest to it or first to hit it or something like that won the cooler and everything inside which was filled with nice liquor I believe. I think they charge people $5-$10 to attempt it and I’m guessing you could make your money back pretty quickly
Could you also fill one with Diet Cokes and put it somewhere way, way, way to the right of the fairway so I have a chance to win something?

Reactions: cyfanatic13

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
A group of us run a golf tournament (4-Person Best Shot) and we are looking for new ideas/wrinkles to improve our event. We are in our second year and want to create a full tournament this year. What types of things have you seen included with these events? Obviously, we have great pin events, hole in one sponsors, hole sponsors, a good meal, and gift bags for every player. Want to avoid any raffles if at all possible since it becomes a hassle sometimes to get them to players. Thanks for any tips!
If you do a raffle, you can add the caveat that you must be present to win.

I've been to fundraiser golf tournaments where they have auctions with donated items, those can be hit or miss though.

I have also golfed in a tournament where you could rent a driver for one specific hole. I think it was a 1000 cc driver or something else rediculous. generally illegal for tournament use but raised good money. There was also a hole where you could buy an extra drive from a person who was stationed at the tee box. Have to make that decision before your team tees off though.

Mulligans for sale before the tournament starts can be appreciated.

Most of these are better if your tournament is a fundraising tournament.

If it's more of a just for fun tournament than serious tournament you could have a tee box where you tee off with your non dominant stance.

I've also heard of a tournament where a hole was played via throw golf.

kccyclone3

May 16, 2015
Do a "Zach Johnson" drive on a par 5. For X dollars your group can pay to drop your ball where Zach would hit it- ie, a 320 drive in the fairway.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
I have seen having a length of string given to each team (for X Dollars). You can move the ball within the length of the string for 0 strokes. Any piece of string used is then cut off. (Have to make it so you cannot use the string for second putts, only first putts.)

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
Do a "Zach Johnson" drive on a par 5. For X dollars your group can pay to drop your ball where Zach would hit it- ie, a 320 drive in the fairway.
As was mentioned that is much further than zach drives on average.
Also it seems like a good time to share this again.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Flight the tournament so that it isn't just the top scores that have a chance at some prizes/money. Advertising that your tournament is flighted will also help drive up your registration numbers.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009

We've done this with 5 gallon buckets filled with change. Set them up at a decent chip shot range, and if you make it in the bucket you get to take the bucket home. Pay a buck (or 5) a ball to do it. Set it up by the clubhouse - fun game for everyone to do after while enjoying the meal and a few drinks.

Edit: the bank in town sponsors that contest and brings the change - I just realized that could a PITA for other people. Could just have a contest of landing it in different buckets and each bucket has a prize associated with it for making the shot.