Golf in Ames.

Amac12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 21, 2020
What are thoughts and experiences around Ames Country Club? Retired and recently moved to Ames and wondering what are best golf options. Played Coldwater last summer and never really connected with a regular group.

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
What are thoughts and experiences around Ames Country Club? Retired and recently moved to Ames and wondering what are best golf options. Played Coldwater last summer and never really connected with a regular group.
The few people I know who are members seem to enjoy it. I’d describe it as pretty standard. Honey Creek is a good suggestion if you don’t mind a short drive. If you’re looking for a club to join the other one to look into is The Harvester. But that is a little bit of a drive and will be a little more costly than AG&CC I’m sure.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
The few people I know who are members seem to enjoy it. I’d describe it as pretty standard. Honey Creek is a good suggestion if you don’t mind a short drive. If you’re looking for a club to join the other one to look into is The Harvester. But that is a little bit of a drive and will be a little more costly than AG&CC I’m sure.

Isn’t The Harvestor a public course?

gocy444

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2008
Ames, IA
Ames GCC SUCKS! Incredibly boring course. Not sure what the membership fee is, but it's too much. Would rather play Coldwater or Veenker if you're talking strictly Ames. Others mentioned Honey Creek. Awesome course that feels like you're golfing in mini mountains.

goody2012

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2014
This is a dramatic understatement. And I'm not sure they're even accepting members, believe you have to be invited to join.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
Wife and I try to golf different 9 holes Fridays after work during the season. There are a ton with a huge deviation in quality. For 18 I like Veenker or both Boone courses. Agree HC is the most special.

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
This is a dramatic understatement. And I'm not sure they're even accepting members, believe you have to be invited to join.
I’m probably overestimating what AG&CC would cost, my point of reference is Des Moines G&CC and Glen Oaks and I’m assuming The Harvester is a little more expensive than those two.

Amac12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 21, 2020
Moved back here from Arizona and AG&CC is way less than where I played there. Just trying to find my best option for golf 2-3 times per week.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
AGCC would be my least favorite course in Ames. Pretty boring honestly. Veenker would be my favorite and Coldwater 2nd. As stated above, Honey Creek is probably the nicest course near Ames and is a great value.

Coldwater is nicer IMO because it is walkable. I love Veenker, but I also like hitting a driver, you only get to hit it maybe 5 times at Veenker. You cannot beat the value of coldwater in central Iowa.