Future Big 12 FB Opponents/Schedule Announced

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Only things I care about are:

1. We are still in a conference that matters and are not Oregon State and Washington State
2. The league champ will get a playoff spot and sometimes the runner up will too
3. The thought of getting to the new 12-team CFP before Iowa is so tantalizing. And if we get a couple of years where we avoid K State, who will likely be one of the power brokers in the new Big 12, that makes the CFP reality even more likely.

PickSix

Aug 25, 2013
Just listened to the Williams and Blum podcast today,

I love those two, but they’ve never had a worse take.

C-Dub sounded excited to be ducking K-State, which is a loser mentality that Cyclone fans need to snap out of.

Blum pretty much equated a protected Farmageddon with Georgia playing at Texas A&M once in 12 years and insinuated that it would throw off competitive balance. It’s one freakin’ game and would in no way prevent K-State from playing every team every other season.

C’mon guys. It’s the longest consecutive rivalry in college football. It’s survived the Great Depression, world wars, and a global pandemic. We can’t let the conference just kill it off without a fight.

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021

C-Dub sounded excited to be ducking K-State, which is a loser mentality that Cyclone fans need to snap out of.

Blum pretty much equated a protected Farmageddon with Georgia playing at Texas A&M once in 12 years and insinuated that it would throw off competitive balance. It’s one freakin’ game and would in no way prevent K-State from playing every team every other season.

C’mon guys. It’s the longest consecutive rivalry in college football. It’s survived the Great Depression, world wars, and a global pandemic. We can’t let the conference just kill it off without a fight.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa

Love your passion and definitely would join in said "fight" but who what or where can this fight occur?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Am I taking crazy pills or are people acting like Kansas State is off the schedule for the rest of eternity? With this schedule we play them 6 times in 8 years. Hell by 2027 we may have 4 more conference members.

Basketball starts in a few days so the ledge will be in sight 24/7 for a bunch of folks.

The ISU/KSU thing is a good fix since the football team has won a few games.

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
No you're not. The outrage is kind of weird.
I'm surprised, I thought more people cared about the continuously played for 100 years part of the ksu/isu rivalry. Obviously lots of people do care but I thought for sure folks on CF would be more upset in general.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonsin

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
I can’t believe people actually emailed Pollard about this like it’s his fault or something. Sure, I wish KSU was on the schedule but the issue doesn’t lie with the ADs. I’m shocked he actually takes the time to read and respond to that garbage
If the below response is real then it seems like ADs do have an influence on the schedule, not sure why they wouldn't. I'm glad people are putting some pressure on the conference, would be pretty lame to lose a historic streak like this so we can say we played Arizona once in 4 years or whatever.
I'm glad he responded but certainly doesn't make me feel any better about it...

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
So is this better than pods?

I dont think so.

longest never interrupted continuous rivalry will come to an end in 2027.

So much for protected rivals.

Takes what 4+ years to see every team, where a pod system would see everyone play each other, every other year.

Sorry but this schedule sucks.
I believe we will have a home and home with every team over the course of every 4 years

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
If the below response is real then it seems like ADs do have an influence on the schedule, not sure why they wouldn't. I'm glad people are putting some pressure on the conference, would be pretty lame to lose a historic streak like this so we can say we played Arizona once in 4 years or whatever.
I'm glad he responded but certainly doesn't make me feel any better about it...

Good grief people get a grip. It’s one year we don’t play them. And it’s in 2027!

I think people are freaking out because they hear about the longest “uninterrupted” series in FBS from the announcers every time we play them.

But all that is, is semantics. It’s not the longest continuous series in FBS (and wouldn’t be in the top 5 if you include Lehigh vs Lafayette). It’s also not in the top 60 of most-played college football series of all time.

It’s fine to be disappointed, but to email Pollard like this is the biggest grievance we’ve ever suffered is nuts

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I'm surprised, I thought more people cared about the continuously played for 100 years part of the ksu/isu rivalry. Obviously lots of people do care but I thought for sure folks on CF would be more upset in general.
Full disclosure, I would much prefer that we don't have 16 team conferences. However, this is the new college football. If we're going to have these conferences, I would much rather have a model where we play everyone, with the variety this schedule offers, as opposed to protected rivalries and less variety.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
With all the emphasis from BY on marketing your product, it just seems like a big miss to take a memorable and marketable name like "FARMAGEDDON" and not max it out.

I don't like that it will miss a year every so often, when it just doesn't need to be that way. Just seems like such an own goal.

I really don't like the "well, KU is their bigger rival" response either. It's 100% true, won't argue that. But it's not even about "are we their biggest rival?" or "well, its not really a rivalry" by some invented definition. It's the longest continuously played series - why kill it for no real reason? Why not maximize the value?

Maybe BY is playing 4D chess though - cancelling it now for some press, but bringing it back later when the ACC teams join - for more press!

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Also, it's not that I don't like the pod idea, but that proposal scared me. With their only being three teams in the east, someone was going to have to join their pod. Whichever school got stuck in that pod was going to be unhappy.

If I'm gambling, I take what we got compared any chance of being in a pod with UCF, West Virginia, in Cincinnati.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Also, it's not that I don't like the pod idea, but that proposal scared me. With their only being three teams in the east, someone was going to have to join their pod.

If I'm gambling, I take what we got compared any chance of being in a pod with UCF, West Virginia, in Cincinnati.
I guess that was a possibility and would have been worse than what we got ... ISU with the east group, Oklahoma state in the zone with CU KU KSU and Houston with the other Teaxas schools.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
I don't care for half of the conference having a protected annual game, and half of the conference not having one. All 16 should have one, or not have one. With K-State and KU off the table for ISU, I'd choose Okla State if ISU had one.

FWIW, Cy-Hawk (1977) is a longer continuous rivalry than two of the protected games (Utah vs. BYU and TCU vs. Baylor) - which have both been interupted and not even played annually this century. K-State vs. KU and ASU vs. UA, I get.

In general, I am happy that ISU still gets to play K-State, KU and Okla. State 3 / 4 years. Looking forward to seeing Colorado again too, as I always prefer playing the old Big 8 teams. At least, that flavor is still in the gumbo.

I am also looking forward to seeing the new teams come to Ames starting with UC and UCF next year, and Arizona, Arizona State and BYU in 2025, etc. I've seen them all play, but it will be fun to have them @ Jack Trice Stadium!

Really looking forward to Saturday.
Kansas must be destroyed.
Let's Go State!

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
Last 3 times that we've had a crowd in Ames for K-state:
Last 3 times we've played Iowa in Ames:
SOLD OUT
SOLD OUT
SOLD OUT

ISU should probably expand JTS to 100,000 for next year's K-state game.