Friday OT: First Prize

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
@Angie is taking a break from F-OT this week, so I volunteered to step in. And she agreed to allow it. :)

An idea I had around Academy Awards season, then promptly forgot, so here it is: What’s the first award, certificate or trophy you remember receiving? Magnitude of the event/occasion doesn’t matter. Second Question: Do you still have it?

Earliest I recall is getting a trophy for winning our fifth-grade pentathlon. (If I still have it, it’s buried in storage.)

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I remember getting a swimming certificate for completion of lessons and a tee-ball trophy of some kind.

Things have pretty much gone downhill from there.

Reactions: cyclones500

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
I think mine was a pinewood derby trophy for 1st place in my age group in 1st grade. Was nearly grand champion overall, but in the final pair I won the first of the 3 races and lost the next two. Following years I never got back to 1st place but got a trophy each year. The last year, the douchebag kid in our age group stepped on my car after the first race, ruining a wheel. So didnt win a speed trophy but got most aesthetically pleasing.
These trophies may technically belong to my father though.

Not much to speak of since then other than a medal for a baseball tournament our 3rd grade? team won and a medal for riding the bench on our football team that made the state playoffs.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
I got a trophy for winning a golf tournament in 5th grade. The trophy itself was pretty cheap and broke within a year or two. My grandfather was so proud of my win that he clipped the newspaper article about it with a photo that appeared in the local paper and put it in a frame for his office. I know I have that article somewhere in my basement, but that's all I have from it now.

mapnerd

Aug 17, 2006
Ames
We had a soccer skills tournament of sorts and I got a third place medal for juggling. I was probably in 4th or 5th grade. I was pretty excited because I didn't expect to win anything. I bet my mom has it somewhere still.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
@Angie is taking a break from F-OT this week, so I volunteered to step in. And she agreed to allow it. :)

An idea I had around Academy Awards season, then promptly forgot, so here it is: What’s the first award, certificate or trophy you remember receiving? Magnitude of the event/occasion doesn’t matter. Second Question: Do you still have it?

Earliest I recall is getting a trophy for winning our fifth-grade pentathlon. (If I still have it, it’s buried in storage.)

I won our 5th grade spelling bee, and I beat a girl doing it (future girlfriend, by the way lol), and since I beat a girl, the guys carried me off the stage with my trophy. And yeah, I still have it somewhere.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
I won our 5th grade spelling bee, and I beat a girl doing it (future girlfriend, by the way lol), and since I beat a girl, the guys carried me off the stage with my trophy. And yeah, I still have it somewhere.

When you dated her, did you lord your victory over her? Like, "Hey, you wanna go up to my room and...you know...LOOK AT MY SPELLING BEE VICTORY TROPHY?"

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I don't think I ever had an actual trophy until I was an adult and started going to car shows. And I literally could not care less about that. I always thought it was odd that grown men (usually) get so worked up about a trophy for a car. I just liked seeing the other cars etc.

Anyway, I think I got a perfect attendance certificate for second grade. Also our Sunday School used to give certificates for 13 weeks consecutive attendance. And when you got 3 and after that you got a small pin. After that you could get little add on pins for more years. I know I got several of the certificates. I can't remember if I got a one year pin eventually, but I think I did.

So basically I excelled at nothing except showing up.

Woody Allen Quote: "90 percent of life is just showing up"

diaclone

Apr 16, 2006
Metro Omaha
Along time ago, when I was in the 6th grade, I was a "patrol boy" (now known as crossing guards) for my elementary school. AAA had a contest every year for elementary schools to see which schools had the best crossing guards. There was a winning school from each congressional district (might have been six or seven at that time) in Iowa. Prior to the contest every school selected a patrol boy who would get to go on a trip to DC if their school won its district. My school won the district and I was the rep, so I got to go to DC with five or six other patrol kids from around the state. We all had to meet in DM then a couple of AAA folks drove all of us to DC for a couple of days of visiting. My teacher went as a chaperone as did some other teacher from somewhere else in the state.

It we even got to meet our congressional rep when we were in DC.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA

I went to the state spelling bee (won at school and in top 3 at regionals), and got fifth there. I still have my trophy and the program from it - my parents kept them for me, and my husband and children use it to taunt me as a "grammar rodeo nerd."

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I went to the state spelling bee (won at school and in top 3 at regionals), and got fifth there. I still have my trophy and the program from it - my parents kept them for me, and my husband and children use it to taunt me as a "grammar rodeo nerd."

I didn't get to state- misspelled acknowledge (forgot the d). That's totally in my head now, and I still have to think about it before I spell it lol.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I didn't get to state- misspelled acknowledge (forgot the d). That's totally in my head now, and I still have to think about it before I spell it lol.

I still remember the 2 words I missed in regionals:

precede (I spelled "proceed" because the word-giver said PROceed, and I didn't bother asking for a definition. Everyone with me that day heard the same thing, too. I'm still ticked.)

barbecue (I spelled it "barbeque", and the commies in charge didn't allow the variant at the time. Now I live in KC and see daily reminders of the way the system failed me.)

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I think I got a 2nd place trophy in the Mahaska County Fair bubble blowing contest. The first of many 2nd place trophies.

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
The spelling bee posts remind me of something I saw on the internet awhile ago that made me laugh. Screenshot_20200501-142845_Chrome.jpg

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I got a trophy in 4th grade for doing really well on the Iowa Test of Basic Skills. A kid from each grade who scored the best got the prize.

Next year, I did even better. But they switched the award to "Most Improved." So the kid who wasn't quite as stupid as last year got the trophy.

For the record, I'm 36 and right on the cusp of being a 'coddled Millenial.' I feel that year between 4th and 5th is when the world changed.
vauEUgn.gif

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Won the bucket bottle calf show at a local fair in middle school.

Won Reserve Best of Show at the poultry show at county fair my freshman (?) year.

Won the Legion poster contest in middle school.

Won a intramural t shirt my senior year at ISU for March Madness. The year Kentucky almost went undefeated.