Friday OT #2 - Superfluous

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
What wildly unnecessary thing are you coveting and want to buy now? It could be functional and not entirely superfluous, but it's something you WANT and can't bring yourself to buy because you don't NEED it.

Like, for me - I stumbled across Skylabs Audio down in Valley Junction while just puttering around on a day off. They take old mid-century modern turntable consoles and totally pimp them out with incredible new speakers and turntables, sometimes lights, etc. They do some custom ones where they can make, like, a couch or a bench into a console. I love them so much, and they go with my decor - but I can't justify not getting my kids shoes or something with the money it would take.

1507359219658637.jpg

What are yours?

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I had a 7' long Zenith stereo like that in my 20's (my dad's a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools). Loved it. Hated moving it though.

I generally just buy what I want, but my tastes are very simple too. Most superfluous things I buy are video games. I can't tell you how many games I've bought just because I was bored with what I was playing.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
A brand new pickup truck. One of those giant ones that look like they could eat a standard sedan. My pickup right now is a 97 Ford Ranger with about 150k miles on it. Gets me to work and back and occasionally hauls items for friends and neighbors. (You never have to own a pickup if you have a friend with one.)

Reactions: SCyclone and Angie

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I wanna trade in my current Harley but just can't bring myself to spend the money. I just put new tires on the current bike as well.

Reactions: Entropy and Angie

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
Vacation condo. Would save me on spending outrageous prices on renting one and I could rent it out while not there, earning me money back. If I had the cash, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Reactions: moores2 and Angie

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I had a 7' long Zenith stereo like that in my 20's (my dad's a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools). Loved it. Hated moving it though.

I generally just buy what I want, but my tastes are very simple too. Most superfluous things I buy are video games. I can't tell you how many games I've bought just because I was bored with what I was playing.

My grandma had a 7' RCA much like the one in the photo - my uncle sold it when she passed, but I would have loved to have had it and gotten it souped up. I can imagine it was hard for you to part with that! I bet your dad could do amazing things to the sound of it!

Reactions: Cyclonepride

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
#1) I have wanted to get a table top arcade video game console with the classic 80s video games. No idea where I'd put it, though.

#2) Also, I would love to have a jukebox that plays 45s. Would be cool to have my favorite singles in there. Again, no idea where I'd put it.

Reactions: Angie

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
New DeWalt power tools. My whole fleet is the Ryobi brand. Which, for those who may not know, is the entry level tool brand. They're not bad, they get the job done, but the quality is lower and the accuracy is nowhere near the DeWalt or other higher brands. My tools work just fine right now, but I am coveting replacing them all with DeWalt.

dewalt.jpg

Reactions: Angie

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
A plane that fits our wants. Would likely co-own it with some friends of ours with similar wants.