Freaky dreams

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
If I have vivid dreams they always seem to be tornado dreams. No one ever dies or gets hurt in them, but the tornado always just destroys the neighborhood. Don’t ever wake up sweating from them or anything like that. They are just super vivid and intense.
Tornado/storm is one of my most frequent recurring dream themes, had them since I was in my teens. The most common flow of the dream is (1) I can see a funnel cloud, but it looks like it's not going to come our way (2) It starts coming our way! (3) Sometimes I (or "we") can find way to the basement; or, I can't seek shelter and I know it's gonna get me/I'm a goner (4) Storm rolls through, sometimes there is structural damage, but I'm unscathed. (5) many times, in aftermath, it's clear and sunny.

In real life, I've had only one or two close-calls with a tornado situation, so my dreaming isn't based on past event/experience (although living in/near Midwest of course the possibility is always there).

Reactions: ClonesTwenty1

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Weird question, but does anyone have dreams about their deceased pets? I keep hoping I do because I've had alot of dreams about relatives, but the pet dreams just don't happen.
Yes. I’m grateful to have made it to 38 without anyone super close to me dying.

We didn’t have dogs growing up. But I knew once I got on my own I’d get a dog. My wife and I bought a boxer when we got our first house in 2010. He was our first “kid” and we loved him dearly.

One morning in June 2020, he started acting funny. Took him to the vet at 9:30am and by 12:30pm, I was having to put him down. Because of COVID, only I could go into the room to be with him. It was all very sudden and shocking. Literally just a few hours between first symptoms that anything was wrong and having to say goodbye.

It wrecked me. I don’t cry. I cried for 3 days over him. On the third night I had a dream. I was walking him on a leash and we came upon a beautiful green field looking uphill. I unhooked his leash and he trotted up ahead to the top of the hill. He turned around to look at me, paused, then ran over the hill. To me, it was his way of saying goodbye and moving on. I stopped crying after that dream. His name was Cash.

Related to this, just a few months ago I was walking on a trail by myself. A young couple with a boxer was walking toward me. I didn’t really look at them or their dog as we passed. They were probably 50 yards passed me and I decided to turn and look back. Their dog was also looking right back at me. Almost like Cash was reincarnated into another dog. It gave me chills.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Yes. I’m grateful to have made it to 38 without anyone super close to me dying.

We didn’t have dogs growing up. But I knew once I got on my own I’d get a dog. My wife and I bought a boxer when we got our first house in 2010. He was our first “kid” and we loved him dearly.

One morning in June 2020, he started acting funny. Took him to the vet at 9:30am and by 12:30pm, I was having to put him down. Because of COVID, only I could go into the room to be with him. It was all very sudden and shocking. Literally just a few hours between first symptoms that anything was wrong and having to say goodbye.

It wrecked me. I don’t cry. I cried for 3 days over him. On the third night I had a dream. I was walking him on a leash and we came upon a beautiful green field looking uphill. I unhooked his leash and he trotted up ahead to the top of the hill. He turned around to look at me, paused, then ran over the hill. To me, it was his way of saying goodbye and moving on. I stopped crying after that dream. His name was Cash.

Related to this, just a few months ago I was walking on a trail by myself. A young couple with a boxer was walking toward me. I didn’t really look at them or their dog as we passed. They were probably 50 yards passed me and I decided to turn and look back. Their dog was also looking right back at me. Almost like Cash was reincarnated into another dog. It gave me chills.
Yeah, we lost our dog last Thanksgiving weekend. It was very similar to you in that it was sudden and shocking.

He had diabetes but we were managing it extremely strictly and he seemed to be thriving. We never missed a dose or a meal for him, alwasy on time, followed up with all his appointments and blood sugar tests.

Then one night he woke me up in the middle of the night throwing up. I had to take him to the ER and his blood sugar was 5 times what it normally is. We think his body eventually became insulin resistant and it just wasn't working on him anymore.

I usually have really vivid dreams of deceased relatives so I'm always hoping one night I'll have one about him but no luck yet.

• Friendly
Reactions: throwittoblythe

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I think I had one dream involving deceased cat (he lived to be 18, so longtime pet) - but his presence in that dream was secondary to main "plot" (I can't recall anything else about that one)
This is Pet Semetary.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Yeah, we lost our dog last Thanksgiving weekend. It was very similar to you in that it was sudden and shocking.

He had diabetes but we were managing it extremely strictly and he seemed to be thriving. We never missed a dose or a meal for him, alwasy on time, followed up with all his appointments and blood sugar tests.

Then one night he woke me up in the middle of the night throwing up. I had to take him to the ER and his blood sugar was 5 times what it normally is. We think his body eventually became insulin resistant and it just wasn't working on him anymore.

I usually have really vivid dreams of deceased relatives so I'm always hoping one night I'll have one about him but no luck yet.
Sorry for your loss. I knew our boy was getting up there but thought he’d have at least a couple more years. He was otherwise very healthy. Boxers typically live 9-11 years and he was right in the middle of that.

I forget the name of what he had but it was a stomach tumor. It caused a burst blood vessel in his stomach. So he was bleeding internally very slowly. Vet said I could take him in for emergency surgery but there was no guarantee that would even work.

I was comforted that they said he was never in any pain. Just probably felt a little icky, like having the flu.

• Sad
Reactions: NoCreativity

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I have all sorts of vivid dreams, Some that stick with me and some that fade away quickly after I wake up.
Many of mine also have themes.

1. Backing up my vehicle and it won't stop. It just keeps going slowly backwards no matter how hard I use the brakes until it either hits something or goes off some sort of embankment

2. Park my vehicle somewhere and when I return it is no longer there. Sometimes I find it in another place and other times I don't. I've actually gotten out of bed more than once to check on it.

3. Some random situation where eventually I realize I'm not wearing any pants

4. I'm trying to find a bathroom and all I find are disgusting overflowing toilets or other weird situations like the toilet is in the middle of a room with a party going on.. I usually have to pee when I wake up from one of those dreams.

5. One time I got arrested in a dream and woke up in jail. As I slowly opened my eyes to await my fate I realized I was in my own bed and the relief washed over me when I finally realized that I hadn't been arrested at all.
I've had all these except the arrested one. The three bolded are very common for me.

Usually the parking one is at work. There were several lots and in the dream I'd misremembered what lot I'd used. Then I could never find it in any of the lots. Eventually I'm begging people for rides or resigned to walking. The funny thing about it is - it's a car I had in college and I no longer had it when I was working.

The random no pants is me trying to find some way to cover myself. A towel maybe, or a cover I pull off a couch. Maybe a coat that's too small to cover everything front and back.

The bathroom one is similar. Sometimes the bathroom is closed on the floor I'm on. Or there is only a women's - no men's. Or I go inside and the stool has been physically removed from the stall and the floor just has a plug over the pipe where the stool should be. But they always end like yours, where I wake up and have to go pee. Fortunately after a minor procedure my urinary urgency is reduced and less often, so I don't have that dream as often.

My car brake one is always going forward, not reverse. I'm pressing on the brake and it's got pedal but is only slightly effective so I keep pushing harder and it's never enough. I eventually hit something.

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
I have pretty vivid dreams that I’m certain I could easily turn into stories or movies… I just can’t ever remember them. I’ve tried the pen & paper method but I can’t recall them once I wake up no matter how I try. I just know that I hate waking up a lot just because I want to “find out what happens”.

Someone else told me that it sounds like I’m unintentionally lucid dreaming, but based off what I’ve read I don’t think that’s the case either. It’s like I’m watching a movie but I wouldn’t call them “indistinguishable from reality” like other lucid dreamers have described their own dreams.

Speaking of, has anyone had the misfortune of experiencing sleep paralysis? I’ve luckily only had this happen once, but apparently to sufferers it can happen quite often. Regardless, “once” was enough to mess with my head for a good hour until I could fall asleep again. I now know that I was probably seeing the “glow” of my cat’s eyes, but at the time I thought I was looking into the eyes of a demon while “it” taunted me in a low voice saying that I’ll never wake up again.

Reactions: cyclones500

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
Weird question, but does anyone have dreams about their deceased pets? I keep hoping I do because I've had alot of dreams about relatives, but the pet dreams just don't happen.
Yes. My cat would wait until all the lights were off and I was settled in to go to sleep before coming up on the bed. I’m a side sleeper, and he would always sleep against my shoulder blade, back to back. He was ~16lbs, so you’d know when he was there.

A week or so after we had to put him down, I was drifting off to sleep and felt the pressure like he was laying there. I turned over, and nothing. It still happened every once in awhile. I’m probably just drifting off to sleep and it was such a regular occurrence for ~15 years some part of me was just used to it.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I have pretty vivid dreams that I’m certain I could easily turn into stories or movies… I just can’t ever remember them. I’ve tried the pen & paper method but I can’t recall them once I wake up no matter how I try. I just know that I hate waking up a lot just because I want to “find out what happens”.

Someone else told me that it sounds like I’m unintentionally lucid dreaming, but based off what I’ve read I don’t think that’s the case either. It’s like I’m watching a movie but I wouldn’t call them “indistinguishable from reality” like other lucid dreamers have described their own dreams.

Speaking of, has anyone had the misfortune of experiencing sleep paralysis? I’ve luckily only had this happen once, but apparently to sufferers it can happen quite often. Regardless, “once” was enough to mess with my head for a good hour until I could fall asleep again. I now know that I was probably seeing the “glow” of my cat’s eyes, but at the time I thought I was looking into the eyes of a demon while “it” taunted me in a low voice saying that I’ll never wake up again.

I've experienced sleep paralysis but not for a long time. But yeah when I did I experienced haunting sounds or images and was really weirded out by not being able to wake myself up or move. Like what if something was actually happening?

One time specifically it sounded like someone was moving a flat coin across the desk next to my bed but I couldn't do anything about it.

• Wow
Reactions: AirWalke

RLD4ISU

Sep 13, 2018
Otsego, MN
Question for those that remember their dreams: can you read (if you see something in your dreams with writing on it) and sometimes are you able to “control” parts of your dream - talking to someone or making a decision.

I’ve done both. I’ve also had dreams that have come true, dreams where I’ve talked to deceased loved ones (including my son) and dreams that are just bizarre and there’s no sense in ever wasting a second trying to figure out.

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
Question for those that remember their dreams: can you read (if you see something in your dreams with writing on it) and sometimes are you able to “control” parts of your dream - talking to someone or making a decision.

I’ve done both. I’ve also had dreams that have come true, dreams where I’ve talked to deceased loved ones (including my son) and dreams that are just bizarre and there’s no sense in ever wasting a second trying to figure out.

That relates to my mention of lucid dreaming I mentioned above. Some people claim that they can do this purposefully once they recognize they’re dreaming without actually having to wake up.

RLD4ISU

Sep 13, 2018
Otsego, MN
That relates to my mention of lucid dreaming I mentioned above. Some people claim that they can do this purposefully once they recognize they’re dreaming without actually having to wake up.
Yep, I’ve been able to do that once in awhile.

I have read that sometimes a dream can be your brain working out a problem or situation in your life.

• Agree
Reactions: MeanDean

diaclone

Apr 16, 2006
Metro Omaha
This is a great thread and thanks to all for posting your stories.

A couple of dreams stand out to me, as most I can't remember.

Some background....I had a long career at a large corporation I'll call it Acme Corp for the story. - At Acme, I learned a ton, got to travel all over the US, they paid for my graduate degree, good benefits etc. But the culture was subpar.
Every summer there was a company picnic for all employees and retirees and families at an amusement park.

In this dream, (it was in October 2012) I am standing on the side of a wave pool. The water though is dirty, murky, and bubbling. I know that I am at the Acme summer picnic because the people in the wave pool were other Acme employees. They're all splashing around, using inner tubes just as if the water was clean like a normal wave pool. I couldn't name them nor see faces but I knew I was at the Acme yearly picnic.

They're all yelling at me "come on and get in the water diaclone! The water is great." I reply to them, "no it's not, it's dirty and it's toxic. Cant'you see it"?

Shortly after this dream I had a tarot card reading. It hit me that the Acme culture was toxic and everyone was swimming in it but couldn't see the toxicity.

A bit later, my boss at the time asked me to help out an analyst that was doing some kind of project that he was capable to do and certainly didn't need any help. He (the analyst) and I had been friends for a long time and played basketball together.

Anyway, I was complaining to him about some of the culture stuff and he said this to me- "diaclone, you have outgrown this place." That was exactly right and he put into words that I couldn't. The following April I stunned my boss when I said to him "let's figure out a way to re-org me out of here." I left in September to pursue something different.

As Ms. diaclone's father was dying the family was gathering at the home. It was quite a strain on everyone as he had been ill for a while. I went to sleep in a room right out side his hospital bed. It was 6:15-6:30ish in the morning when I dreamed that Ms diaclone's father was going up to the sky - like heaven. It woke me up. I got up and the family was in another room talking. I asked them if anyone had check on the father lately. The younger brother then went to check and he had passed.