Football Season Postmortem

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
One other thing that has just been a little off more me this year is Campbell's tone after the game. I just don't get the sense there is much urgency there. It just seems like after every game it's how much he loves this group and how they keep fighting, which is all great. Those are good things. But at some point it just seems there needs to be the kick in the *** of we are much better than what we are playing and it's time to play to our ability.

I struggle to get too fired up about never giving up and fighting through the adversity when the adversity seems self-inflicted.

He was like that last week.

Didn't seem to change much.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
God, this place is going to be a real hell hole for the next several months.

it was somewhat of a disappointing season. But a season that is 7-5 and disappointing is a sign of how far we've come.

I don't necessarily mean this as a criticism, but is it a sign of how far we've come, or a sign of the conference we play in? How do you think this team would have fared with the Big 12 of 5-7 years ago? Honestly, with the way we played, I don't think we even get to 6 wins if the conference was as strong now as it was then.

I love Campbell and appreciate the culture he's built and talent he's bringing in, but I think you could honestly say that since Campbell took over TCU, Baylor, Tech, Kansas State, Oklahoma State and West Virginia have all regressed. This isn't the Big 12 of 5 years ago where every game was against a Top 25-ish opponent.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
One other thing that has just been a little off more me this year is Campbell's tone after the game. I just don't get the sense there is much urgency there. It just seems like after every game it's how much he loves this group and how they keep fighting, which is all great. Those are good things. But at some point it just seems there needs to be the kick in the *** of we are much better than what we are playing and it's time to play to our ability.

I struggle to get too fired up about never giving up and fighting through the adversity when the adversity seems self-inflicted.

Jesus. Fans are really ******* stupid. Campbell was PLENTY pissed off after last week with his quotes after the game. He basically said exactly what you are ******** about. THAT WAS ONE WEEK AGO AND YOU SEEM TO HAVE NO CLUE.

I have no idea what he said tonight after the game to the media. I'm note sure what unloading on a team before they have a month to sit around gains anyone. It certainly doesn't get the team motivated to play in a bowl game.

And I think we all need to remember that what a coach tells the media and what he tells the team are different things.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I don't necessarily mean this as a criticism, but is it a sign of how far we've come, or a sign of the conference we play in? How do you think this team would have fared with the Big 12 of 5-7 years ago?

I love Campbell and appreciate the culture he's built and talent he's bringing in, but I think you could honestly say that since Campbell took over TCU, Baylor, Tech, Kansas State, Oklahoma State and West Virginia have all regressed. This isn't the Big 12 of 5 years ago where every game was against a Top 25-ish opponent.

Look I've been around the block with Iowa State football. I refuse to lose my **** about 7-5. I've already said it was a disappointing season.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Jesus. Fans are really ******* stupid. Campbell was PLENTY pissed off after last week with his quotes after the game. He basically said exactly what you are ******** about. THAT WAS ONE WEEK AGO AND YOU SEEM TO HAVE NO CLUE.

I have no idea what he said tonight after the game to the media. I'm note sure what unloading on a team before they have a month to sit around gains anyone. It certainly doesn't get the team motivated to play in a bowl game.

And I think we all need to remember that what a coach tells the media and what he tells the team are different things.

I agree that I have no idea what he's telling the team. I imagine his message is much different. But like I said, he seems to love about battling adversity, which is fine and all, but is a little less motivating when the adversity seems very self-inflicted.

But like I've said multiple times as well, I love Campbell and what he's been able to do. But I,like many, am just kind of shaking my head after this season and wondering how we wound up seemingly underperforming in many games.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I don't necessarily mean this as a criticism, but is it a sign of how far we've come, or a sign of the conference we play in? How do you think this team would have fared with the Big 12 of 5-7 years ago?

Actually I think while it's not as strong, teams have figured out how to neutralize these offenses and making them play inside so in some ways it's harder to win. Lots of crazy close games this season.

OSU has a 1,900 yard rusher.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
the season of should of, could of, would of. With the hype this year and the potential yes this season was a let down.
need huge improvement in offensive play calling and need to start making adjustments on D and bring pressure.. or change it up to a 4 man front for some games..

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
That's fair. That's definitely part of us being at the best place as a program in decades.

Next year we have to take that next step though or I worry a plateau in momentum could hurt the program.

I sort of agree and I sort of disagree.

I think that we have to have the ability to look big picture. And I think a large number of our fans are not looking at the big picture.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Look I've been around the block with Iowa State football. I refuse to lose my **** about 7-5. I've already said it was a disappointing season.

I'm far from losing my ****. I remember games that weren't worth watching because they were over before they started. I remember just hoping Baylor was nice enough to not hang 100 on us. The fact that we are competitive and have a chance to win every time we play is not lost on me.

But I still think it's worth looking at things as a whole and where we are headed. I think if you got Campbell's honest assessment he wouldn't see this season as a success, and I doubt he's here to be 7-5.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I agree that I have no idea what he's telling the team. I imagine his message is much different. But like I said, he seems to love about battling adversity, which is fine and all, but is a little less motivating when the adversity seems very self-inflicted.

But like I've said multiple times as well, I love Campbell and what he's been able to do. But I,like many, am just kind of shaking my head after this season and wondering how we wound up seemingly underperforming in many games.

But that isn't what you said. You complained that Campbell isn't coming out and telling the fans that the team sucks. I pointed out that he did EXACTLY what you are ******** about 7 days ago.

Reactions: Cat Stevens

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
The most disappointing thing is that Campbell got the players to buy in and have confidence. The talent level is the highest it has ever been with this program and it's not even close. A couple mentioned we took a bit of a step back this year and I agree. The little things are what made ISU good the last couple years and those are things that we didn't do very well this year. 7-5 is definitely not what any of us expected, but I expect Campbell and the rest of the staff will evaluate everything and break it down in the off season so that the players can focus on those areas. Recruiting and player development have been great, but game planning needs to get better.

Purdy is a talented QB but needs to work on some things, including his decision making. He needs to be allowed to run more. He has put up big numbers this year, but he is far more dangerous when he uses his legs.

Will McDonald the last three games has shown that he is going to be a really special player. Looking forward to seeing how high of a ceiling he has.

huntt26

Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
I'm far from losing my ****. I remember games that weren't worth watching because they were over before they started. I remember just hoping Baylor was nice enough to not hang 100 on us. The fact that we are competitive and have a chance to win every time we play is not lost on me.

But I still think it's worth looking at things as a whole and where we are headed. I think if you got Campbell's honest assessment he wouldn't see this season as a success, and I doubt he's here to be 7-5.

Definitely. This is the same guy that said only bull **** programs care about 6-6.

• Agree
Reactions: isufanz1

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I love Campbell and what he’s done here. With that said, without Purdy these last two years we're most likely ready to run him out of town...

Well, without (fill in the name of star player for any team), most fanbases would be ready to run their coach out of town. That is a weird argument.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneVet

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
But that isn't what you said. You complained that Campbell isn't coming out and telling the fans that the team sucks. I pointed out that he did EXACTLY what you are ******** about 7 days ago.

Agreed. Just hoping that message started being conveyed after the UNI game and not after the Kansas game. Seems like a discussion you shouldn't have to be having 12 weeks in.