First Place

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
We'll know a lot about our chances to win a conference title after our next three conference games, our two most winnable road games left and arguably our toughest home game remaining. If we win all three we would only need to hold serve at home to finish 13-5. If we lose one of the three we would need to find a win at Texas, Baylor, or KState to have a chance at 13-5. Anything worse than that makes it pretty tough to see anything better than 12-6.

Last edited:

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
I've wondered a little about that. Getting highly touted freshman to buy in could be a challenge. That being said any one watching this team knows that team and defense come 1st and individual glory way down the list.
I'm assuming the staff and upperclassmen will set the tone and teach the young ones what needs to be done.
It has to start in the summer workouts with the returning players and the conditioning staff. The workout staff has proven itself for the past 2 seasons. Need at least 2-3 players to lead the way by example each year. This is one reason why I would welcome BRE back even if he shows only marginal improvement on the court. His first comments when his transfer was announced was that he was going to be the hardest worker on the team. He might not have expected Gabe to be just as committed, but it takes more than one guy. It's important to have at least one returning post player to demand maximum effort in practice.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I think we still want to proceed carefully in this space. TJ has been absolutely amazing so far, but he still has one major hurdle to clear starting next year and that is proving he can win with young, high level talent. That is a different position than he has been in so far and is going to be key to the program continuing to improve going forward. And it will require additional skills as far as managing egos and more teaching and development.

Consider this my trauma from the McDermott era. The guy had clearly shown he could coach at UNI and later at Creighton, but just couldn't manage the high talent guys he had at ISU. TJ hasn't had the chance to show that yet. For me it is the last big question mark.

Having impact transfers is a cheat code and he's going to continue to do that.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Just 1 game away from midseason and we're leading.

Best part is we'll keep this lead for at least a week with the SEC challenge on Saturday
It’ll be nice seeing us at the top when they inevitably show the conference standings multiple times during every game for the Big 12/SEC challenge this weekend

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I think TJ has only recruited one player that wasn’t a real team guy. And he plays for Texas now. Hopefully they sort those guys out ahead of time.

The opportunity to build the culture at ISU exactly the way he wanted it has been so critical to where TJ has things right now on the court and with recruiting. Everybody understands exactly what's required.

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
I think TJ has only recruited one player that wasn’t a real team guy. And he plays for Texas now. Hopefully they sort those guys out ahead of time.
And he didn’t really recruit him either. Just reaffirmed his commitment.

• Agree
Reactions: 0u812

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
And he didn’t really recruit him either. Just reaffirmed his commitment.
TJ definitely recruited Hunter. His first 2 priorities the first week on the job was to keep Hunter and recruit Lipsey. He met with Tyrese and family right away and got him to commit to the new staff.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
But yet there fans that swear by it. Don’t get it.
Oh, I'm one of them. It's the most widely used analytic in the business. Its a fantastic tool that helps you parse out things via Tempo and efficiency.

People just need to realize that it's not a ranking. Its literally sorting teams by the difference between their adjusted offensive efficiency and their adjusted defensive efficiency. It's not a guy ranking things, and its not a computer ranking.

Help Support Us

Become a patron