Fertilizing my lawn for initial spring application

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
I have not done a formal soil test (i did a Rapitest one that you look at the colors for pH, N, P, and K but the test was hard to get info off of since the colors really didn't look accurate at all) but wondering if in general the pH of the lawn soils in central Iowa are acidic or alkiline? I am considering adding lime but not sure if I am wasting my money. I have been fertilizing 3-4 times a year and don't irrigate.
I know very little about this stuff, but I did do a soil test for my lawn in Ames and it came back needing to add sulfur and NOT lime. But I guess the only way to know for sure is to get it tested.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Anyone use the Sunday Lawn Care plan? Prices don't seem too terrible, and I like it is spreadable with a hose versus the granules. I moved into a new house last May and the grass is pretty good in the front yard but the backyard has 2 large maple trees so lots of shade and not as full back there with some weeds.

I used it for a couple years. I applied everything when and how they recommended, but honestly it fell short of my expectations. My biggest complaint was their lack of weed control products, as I was pretty much constantly pulling/dealing with weeds. Haven't looked at them lately, but at that time they only had a small spray bottle for spot treatment of weeds (like you can buy at any home Depot type store), and it wasn't all that cheap to add it on.

I've had better luck for similar or even less cost using Scott's stuff that includes weed control.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
Bumping this question for lawn experts to weigh in. Considering doing it on Sunday.
I'm no expert, but I would think you would want to wait for a week or two of good growth before dethatching. I think you might stress or rip out too much dormant grass.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I'm no expert, but I would think you would want to wait for a week or two of good growth before dethatching. I think you might stress or rip out too much dormant grass.
Part of my issue is that timing and having time to do it and not wanting to wait till it’s too late.

Reactions: khardbored

Donqluione

Feb 5, 2017
Bumping this question for lawn experts to weigh in. Considering doing it on Sunday.
IMO it might be better to wait about 2 weeks until it's about to come out of dormancy, but if this Sunday is what works best for you I doubt that it would be fatal to your lawn.

But I've never detached in my life, haven't ever seen the point for what I'm expecting from our lawn, so there's that. If you don't mulch your clippings there might be a need.

Jdk

Feb 27, 2019
Personally, I would wait until you start seeing the lawn green up a bit. I would be worried about tearing up dormant grass.
Yes just talked yesterday to our lawn care guy about power raking the lawn he said wait about a couple weeks still a bit wet in spots with more moisture on its way live in northwest Iowa

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Is there even such a thing as a pre emergent for dandelions? I don’t think so, correct?

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
Is there even such a thing as a pre emergent for dandelions? I don’t think so, correct?
Yes, preemergent is like putting cellophane over your yard it stops gemination of all seeds even grass seed. And I believe of almost everything. If you disturb the "cellophane" by digging, driving, dethatching, pet traffic, squirrels, geese etc all bets are off on it working in the disturbed area. Someone let me know if this is not correct. if dandelions were my only issue I would spray them as they come. I believe crabgrass preventer will stop dandelions from germinating much like it stops crabgrass from germination. Again if this is not correct someone help me out here.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: khardbored

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Yes, preemergent is like putting cellophane over your yard it stops gemination. I believe of everything. If you disturb the "cellophane" by digging, driving, dethatching, pet traffic, all bets are off on it working. Someone let me know if this is not correct.

So what is a good thing to put on, and when should you put it on? Certain soil temp , right? Am I already too late?

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
So what is a good thing to put on, and when should you put it on? Certain soil temp , right? Am I already too late?
I am self taught. Wait til the forsythias bloom. If you do it too early it just doesn't last as long. Those yellow bushes all around in late april May, I do crabgrass preventer on the south side in last half of April most years north side in Early to Mid May. You wont get it perfect every year its an art and that's what makes it fun for me.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: Chelseaczech

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I am self taught. Wait til the forsythias bloom. If you do it too early it just doesn't last as long. Those yellow bushes all around in late april May, I do crabgrass preventer on the south side in last half of April most years north side in Early to Mid May. You wont get it perfect every year its an art and that's what makes it fun for me.

So crabgrass preventer prevents dandelions too…. or just crabgrass?

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
So crabgrass preventer prevents dandelions too…. or just crabgrass?
I believe so. I wouldn't over seed then put down crabgrass preventer. That doesn't work well at all.
How does crabgrass preventer work?
Crabgrass preventer, also known as pre-emergent, works by preventing crabgrass and other weed seeds in your lawn soil from germinating. In fall, crabgrass seeds spread and in the spring, once it gets warm, they begin to grow.
How does it harm my lawn?
Crabgrass preventer is a non-selective product that prevents everything (including grass seed) from germinating. If you do have to seed in the spring and you've applied your crabgrass preventer, make sure you rake the bare spot, breaking the pre-emergent barrier. Or make sure you seed after applying crabgrass preventer.
How can I protect my lawn?
Although it can be frustrating having to reseed your lawn after using crabgrass preventer. It is better than skipping crabgrass preventer entirely and having to replant all of the areas where weeds took over your lawn the summer before.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
If you do it now it will end up looking worse than it was before. You are going to damage way too much grass that won't bounce back quickly if ever.
You guys help talk me out of it. The back half of my lot is still pretty dormant and wet as well so it would be a bad idea.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I believe so. I wouldn't over seed then put down crabgrass preventer. That doesn't work well at all.
How does crabgrass preventer work?
Crabgrass preventer, also known as pre-emergent, works by preventing crabgrass and other weed seeds in your lawn soil from germinating. In fall, crabgrass seeds spread and in the spring, once it gets warm, they begin to grow.
How does it harm my lawn?
Crabgrass preventer is a non-selective product that prevents everything (including grass seed) from germinating. If you do have to seed in the spring and you've applied your crabgrass preventer, make sure you rake the bare spot, breaking the pre-emergent barrier. Or make sure you seed after applying crabgrass preventer.
How can I protect my lawn?
Although it can be frustrating having to reseed your lawn after using crabgrass preventer. It is better than skipping crabgrass preventer entirely and having to replant all of the areas where weeds took over your lawn the summer before.
What's the key to timing the application of crabgrass preventer? My lawn care guy (who is very cheap but has varying degrees of quality service directly related to his level of sobriety) didn't put it down until mid-June last year and the weeds got really bad in sections of my lawn. I usually will supplement what my guy puts on with some additional fertilizer or other treatment if necessary so I will probably do crabgrass preventer on my own this year.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron