FCC Proposing Ending Sports Blackout Rules

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
I always thought blackout rules were imposed by the teams and leagues, not the FCC. As much as I hate blackout rules could't teams or leagues inact the same things and be protected as business decisions?

we all know the economics of sports have changed but you have to think the TV providers will fight anything that gives them less power to sell huge marked-up packages.

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007
Blackouts nowadays are silly. Pro and college teams make 10x more on TV contracts than on tickets. This may have made sense in the 1970's, but with the current era there it is just illogical. Glad to see the FCC up to something other than censoring Janet Jackson's assets.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
I just want mlb.tv to allow me to watch the Reds. The only divisional team I can watch them play against is Pittsburgh. STUPID.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
Because the airwaves are controlled by the gov't, they get to regulate content to the high heavens.

FDWxMan

Jan 31, 2009
Des Moines
I always thought blackout rules were imposed by the teams and leagues, not the FCC. As much as I hate blackout rules could't teams or leagues inact the same things and be protected as business decisions?

we all know the economics of sports have changed but you have to think the TV providers will fight anything that gives them less power to sell huge marked-up packages.

Can't they make more money by opening up availability to more markets, rather than restricting the area to sell things like mlb.tv, etc?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
The actual FCC doc seems to provide more information.

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-13-162A1.pdf

This particular blackout rule seems to be one preventing cable companies from going around local lack of access and piping in another area's local channel.

Personally i think the rule change should happen regardless as its not something the FCC should be involved in 'protecting', and if the sports leagues want to have these kinds of conditions on the retransmission of their games, they should just work these conditions into their contracts with the networks\affiliates they broadcast on. This wont necessarily end blackouts, but as the FCC doc notes, its unnecessary regulation.