FBS Bowl Schedule Released...

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I am amazed that no more than two bowls (Holiday and new Fenway) have packed it in this year. I guess they have a commitment from all these others that they plan to proceed? Some of these bowls are going to lose a lot of money this year.

Maybe if they hold on to their corporate sponsors and are getting TV money, they can limp by.

Just wait, there will be a lot that pull out as it gets closer if things aren’t better (hint, they won’t be). Considering most bowl games lose money and are strictly a tourism generator to break even, it’s going to be hard to see how any of the bowls would be allowed enough fans to break even.

• Disagree
Reactions: flycy

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
And Las Vegas is still TBA.

There's an extra game in Montgomery to make up for the Fenway game being axed.
I wondered about that. I wonder who will play in the extra Montgomery Bowl.

I love the Camellia Bowl and have been to two. Cool little stadium built in the 20s, and both games I attended went down to the wire: App. State beat Ohio Univ. in 2015 and Toledo in 2016.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Just wait, there will be a lot that pull out as it gets closer if things aren’t better (hint, they won’t be). Considering most bowl games lose money and are strictly a tourism generator to break even, it’s going to be hard to see how any of the bowls would be allowed enough fans to break even.

Is this just your opinion? I'm not being a smart-ass. You have much better connections than most of us. Yet, you also tend to be pretty negative about things related to COVID.

Are there sources or well-positioned reporters who are suggesting that additional bowls will be cancelled? I've been listening, but not hearing much. Seems like the bowl games are setting themselves up for PR disaster if they cancel. However, it may make sense for them to try.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
When is "bowl selection day?" Seems like they may need to announce bowl matchups even before all the games have been played.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
When is "bowl selection day?" Seems like they may need to announce bowl matchups even before all the games have been played.

CFP/NY6 announcement is 12/20.

Most of the bowls in that first week (12/19-12/25) that have G5 vs G5 will probably make their selections before 12/13.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
If you want to be a fan in the stands to root on the clones in a bowl game, I think you would want to root for us to be in either the Alamo or Texas bowls.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
CFP/NY6 announcement is 12/20.

Most of the bowls in that first week (12/19-12/25) that have G5 vs G5 will probably make their selections before 12/13.

It is crazy to think that we won't learn our bowl destination until less than 10 days from some premier bowls, such as Alamo and Cotton. Super tough to make travel arrangements.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I don’t know that I buy this either. The bowl game schedule is set and there’s a ton of them still. They wouldn’t schedule these if they knew there wasn’t any money to be made in them. Also, as far as tourism, I don’t buy that either because I’ve watched a lot of the lower tier bowl games through the years that there are very, very few fans at. Yet, they still have the games and have done nothing but add more bowls. There’s money being made somewhere to keep them going and it’s not always in tourism.

Reactions: 3rdCoastClone

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I don’t know that I buy this either. The bowl game schedule is set and there’s a ton of them still. They wouldn’t schedule these if they knew there wasn’t any money to be made in them. Also, as far as tourism, I don’t buy that either because I’ve watched a lot of the lower tier bowl games through the years that there are very, very few fans at. Yet, they still have the games and have done nothing but add more bowls. There’s money being made somewhere to keep them going and it’s not always in tourism.
ESPN is the one making the money. They own the majority of the bowl games and sell the advertising revenue. That's why we no longer have the college bowl cornucopia on NYD like we used to. ESPN isn't going to be competing for viewers against themselves.

• Agree
Reactions: BCClone and Aclone

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
If you want to be a fan in the stands to root on the clones in a bowl game, I think you would want to root for us to be in either the Alamo or Texas bowls.
Something wrong with the Cotton?

Just asking. I don’t know what the difference is.

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
Cotton would be great. Alamo is also very good. Hopefully weather will be a little better.

CRCySpy

Oct 16, 2020
Cedar Rapids, IA
I think ISU has a very good shot at the Alamo Bowl if they lose to Texas and do not win the Big 12 CG. If OU wins the CG and goes to the Cotton Bowl, I believe the Cyclones have a very good chance to be selected by the Alamo because Texas was just there last year and ISU, along with it's fan base, made a very big impression two years ago.

However, the obvious goal is to keep winning and get into that New Year's six bowl!

• Winner
Reactions: Lineup

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC

Big 12 Bowl Schedule
Guarantee Rate Bowl (fomerly Cheez It Bowl (Dec 26th) 9:15 ESPN
Liberty Bowl (Dec 31) 4:00 ESPN
Texas Bowl (Dec 31) 7:00 ESPN
Cheez It Bowl (former Camping World Bowl) (Dec 29) 4:30 ESPN
Alamo Bowl (Dec 29) 8:00 ESPN
Cotton Bowl (I believe this is where the Big 12 champ goes if not playoff) (Dec 30) 6:15 ESPN

This venue is a dump. Chain link fences everywhere within miles of stadium. Horrible seats/Ticketing. Horrible pregame atmosphere. Horrible non venue traffic (google Disney World I95). Weather- Humid/Rain. Very Expensive.

• Informative
Reactions: aauummm

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016

This venue is a dump. Chain link fences everywhere within miles of stadium. Horrible seats/Ticketing. Horrible pregame atmosphere. Horrible non venue traffic (google Disney World I95). Weather- Humid/Rain. Very Expensive.

Yeah, we know. We were just there.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I'm amazed that there is a business model that has minor bowl games during the pandemic. I assumed all but a few would be canceled.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I think ISU has a very good shot at the Alamo Bowl if they lose to Texas and do not win the Big 12 CG. If OU wins the CG and goes to the Cotton Bowl, I believe the Cyclones have a very good chance to be selected by the Alamo because Texas was just there last year and ISU, along with it's fan base, made a very big impression two years ago.

However, the obvious goal is to keep winning and get into that New Year's six bowl!

With fan restrictions probably in place it'll probably come down a lot more to keeping the tv partner happy than fan turnout. That may edge towards Texas with its bigger audience.