F1 2022 Discussion

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
Max getting free wins.
Sorry Checo, you are the next Bottas. Welcome to being held back for the rest of the season :(

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
Really got to feel for Charles (although I suppose it equals out for the DNFs Max and Checo got early on).

When Ferrari and Red Bull are clicking (and cars aren’t acting up), they go to another level. This is really shaping up to be a season long battle it seems.

Also, man that’s a couple in a row where Mick came close to points.

Reactions: ISUKyro

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Max getting free wins.
Sorry Checo, you are the next Bottas. Welcome to being held back for the rest of the season :(

Yesterday I get it though. Max was on the soft tires and his pace was way faster than Checo's. It is a team, I mean did you want to risk both cars on a pass? It's not like Max wouldn't have gotten around him if he was on another team at that pace assuming the DRS is working.

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
Yesterday I get it though. Max was on the soft tires and his pace was way faster than Checo's. It is a team, I mean did you want to risk both cars on a pass? It's not like Max wouldn't have gotten around him if he was on another team at that pace assuming the DRS is working.
He had a hard time passing George, I'm not so sure he could have taken the Mexican Minister of Defense!
It's team orders but it is also a great way to burn out a driver.

(I won't lie - I can't stand max, so there's probably a little of that clouding my judgement lol)

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Admittedly I like Max and Red Bull, because as a super casual fan of the sport I like a team of absolute dickheads that everybody hates. It's like both of them are wrestling heels and they both actually enjoy it in real life. Fantastic stuff.

• Funny
Reactions: JHUNSY

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Admittedly I like Max and Red Bull, because as a super casual fan of the sport I like a team of absolute dickheads that everybody hates. It's like both of them are wrestling heels and they both actually enjoy it in real life. Fantastic stuff.
I have a RBR hoodie from the Vettel days because they were absolutely the villains.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I have a RBR hoodie from the Vettel days because they were absolutely the villains.

Aren't they now? Not that anybody would consider Hamilton or Mercedes the villain, they aren't, but they were on top for so long I'm sure longtime fans wanted to see them knocked down a peg.

Now Red Bull look to be the favorites this year and Horner and Max seem so annoying they have to be the villains of the sport and it's a good thing to have.

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
Also, am I the only one who thought George was coming a little close to weaving down the straight into turn one when he was defending against Checo at first?

He seemed to clean it up later and by the time Max flipped positions but I was just surprised that wasn’t ever looked at.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Aren't they now? Not that anybody would consider Hamilton or Mercedes the villain, they aren't, but they were on top for so long I'm sure longtime fans wanted to see them knocked down a peg.

Now Red Bull look to be the favorites this year and Horner and Max seem so annoying they have to be the villains of the sport and it's a good thing to have.
I think it's pretty easy to argue that Mercedes has been the villain of the current hybrid era at least until DTS painted Horner as some cartoony bad guy.

• Agree

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
I think Lawrence Stroll certainly could play a good villain. Especially given they have blatantly just copy pasted design from other teams.

Dmitry Mazepin was the epic villain.

• Agree
Reactions: mramseyISU

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I think it's pretty easy to argue that Mercedes has been the villain of the current hybrid era at least until DTS painted Horner as some cartoony bad guy.

Horner has absolutely helped that though. He plays it up. I just think Toto and Hamilton are too professional to go full Vince McMahon like Horner seems to want to.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
Out of curiousity, as a very a new F1 fan, what are some of the best places/resources to pick up on some of the details and in's and out's of the sport? I'm also assuming that Drive To Survive is a must watch.

I never watched F1 prior to the final race of last season... my quick impression is that Max is incredibly unlikeable haha

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Out of curiousity, as a very a new F1 fan, what are some of the best places/resources to pick up on some of the details and in's and out's of the sport? I'm also assuming that Drive To Survive is a must watch.

I never watched F1 prior to the final race of last season... my quick impression is that Max is incredibly unlikeable haha

Really just DTS abs start watching races. The F1 community on Reddit is huge too and there is some good info there. If you like podcasts I started listening to Shift F1 and they always put out episode/s at the beginning of the season for brand new F1 fans.

• Agree

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City

When I look at it in context of that point in the race it probably did make sense to let Max pass, but when you think back to earlier in the race and RBR let Checo be held up by Max and Russell, you have to wonder how much further down the road would Checo have been. It was more important to let Checo pass at that point to, since Russell was ahead of both cars at that point and the only way Max could get past was to pit and undercut.