Ernst

WIB

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2010
Ames
Nobody on here knows if he is better than Carter or not. However, there is no way he could produce less than Carter does for us. Also, the lack of post touches for Young is embarrassing. Especially with an "All American" point guard. I counted exactly one time they passed the ball to Young inside the three point line last night. It was essentially playing 4 on 5.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Nobody on here knows if he is better than Carter or not. However, there is no way he could produce less than Carter does for us. Also, the lack of post touches for Young is embarrassing. Especially with an "All American" point guard. I counted exactly one time they passed the ball to Young inside the three point line last night. It was essentially playing 4 on 5.

It damn near looked like a freeze out. I can recall two occasions when he was unguarded under the basket and they just missed him. Very uncharacteristic, especially for Monte. He's really struggling with expectations.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
It damn near looked like a freeze out. I can recall two occasions when he was unguarded under the basket and they just missed him. Very uncharacteristic, especially for Monte. He's really struggling with expectations.

Jobo was in his head

Reactions: swarthmoreCY

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012

Heck, I don't even care if he shoots more than twice a game, but throwing it in to the post does usually move the defense, and kick it back out. If all perimeter drive and kicks were working that would be different, but obviously they're not. Monte's effectiveness is puzzling. Maybe I'm expecting too much tho.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I've raised this point in other threads, but Prohm originally had Malou for post offense and, likely, a more skilled freshman big in Lard coming in.

The NCAA eff'd each of those plans. Those two might have been our two best posts this year, without too much difficulty, from what we've seen so far.

We are on Plan C about now.

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
Holden, Carter, Ernst, Tsalmonpuss, are/were all not awesome; Malou and Lard are not here.

We're left with a freshman and two small forwards, which sucks.

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
I don't get the Ernst haters. No one is saying he is a world beater.
Well because there is always 1 player everyone loves to hate. Naz, SDW, Percy, and Brady. This year it's hard to tell who it is.

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
I don't get the Ernst haters. No one is saying he is a world beater.

I don't get the the Ernst lovers. All we know of him is the very little we saw in the few scrub minutes at the end of some blow outs and that no power conference teams wanted him. I don't dislike him and wish him the best but thinking that he would be a useful contributor to the team this year is hopeful at best.

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
I don't get the the Ernst lovers. All we know of him is the very little we saw in the few scrub minutes at the end of some blow outs and that no power conference teams wanted him. I don't dislike him and wish him the best but thinking that he would be a useful contributor to the team this year is hopeful at best.
What most like a bout his is he is 6'10 has a little mass behind him, and can flat out jump out of the gym for a tall white dude.

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
What most like a bout his is he is 6'10 has a little mass behind him, and can flat out jump out of the gym for a tall white dude.

That's cool, but all the coaches that recruited him new about those attributes and our coaches last year saw those attributes and it apparently wasn't good enough.

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
That's cool, but all the coaches that recruited him new about those attributes and our coaches last year saw those attributes and it apparently wasn't good enough.
I'm not an expert recruiter and don't act like I am but didn't he have a knee injury or something that made alot of programs pretty much just loose all the attention they had for him in HS?

• Agree
Reactions: GTO

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there

Coaches miss on guys, particularly bigs that came on late due to a myriad of factors . Have you watched our post game the past few years? It's reasonable to say we don't appropriately value the contributions an athletic, but still developing, big guy brings. Carter still being here and riding the pine is not sufficient in saying Ernst. Frankly, Ernst was smart to leave. There are plenty of successful programs that know how to develop and utilize a guy like him.

Last edited: