Eli King and Demarion Watson

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
Who knows these days about returning players, but definitely seems like we have bigger perimeter needs with next year's squad. So, there may be a chance that Eli King gets big early minutes. Especially if he can finish at the basket off the dribble.

I would think we will be very active in the portal this spring looking for a scoring guard if Kalschuer and Brockington don't come back.

At the 4/5 spots we will be pretty solid with Tre King, Enaruna, Kunc and Jones. Hunter should be elite at PG. Just a matter of finding a couple studs at the 2/3 spots. At this point, Grill seems too inconsistent to be a starter on a top-tier Big12 team.

interesting perspective. Hard to know who is coming back, but I would be surprised if portal activity isn’t focused on adding another post.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I kinda forgot about Watson but I'm thinking he might actually play the most out of the freshman. If he's a decent 3 pt shooter he's got the length. Just needs to learn our defense

Neptune78

Aug 12, 2020
East of Neptune, IA.
I saw King play in person this year and is as advertised. He had 2 highlight reel dunks and was under control the entire game. Explosive and sneaky long on D. Made crucial 3's when needed. Demeanor was excellent...never too high or too low. He will be a great teammate and can't wait to see him in Cardinal & Gold.

After today, I hope King and the other freshmen can bring the long ball threat to the roster.

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
If Watson is a capable shooter from 3, and it appears that could be the case, he could be getting a ton of minutes right away. Same with King, especially if either of Kalscheur or Brockington leave. A little unsure how many minutes you can play Lipsey and Hunter together if neither will be great at shooting the ball but still excited for Lipsey nonetheless.

TomTreebow

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 20, 2012
I wouldn't classify King as a shooter yet. But he can put it on the floor and get to the rack which is another quality sorely missing from our offense.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
He can't be any more inept than about 2/3 of the team at finishing near the rim. Or shooting open 3s

I’ll be pleasantly surprised if he’s able to “put it on the floor and get to the rim” as a freshman in the Big 12 like the poster said.

• Winner
Reactions: isuno1fan

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
If he can, he'll play. If not, then he'll get developed. Simple as that.
Well of course.
The question is can he “put it on the floor and get to the rack which is another quality sorely missing from our offense”, as you stated earlier

tomar1

Aug 16, 2008
If Kunc returns we have him and Grill as a starting point as two great shooters. My guess is King is the most game ready and while not a shooter he's a combo guard who can slash and create for others which will help grill and Kunc get more attempts. We lack more than those two as efficient shooters but we also lack creators who can drive and dish. King will help in that regard and take a lot of pressure off Hunter.
Unfortunately Kunc can’t get a shot off while being guarded closely, doesn’t shoot enough! Today he shot 3 or 4 times in 25 minutes and didn’t score! That’s not the kind of help Brockington needs! No inside threat is hurting this team without any deep threats! We might need to play a high / low with Enaruna seeing a lot more minutes! Conditt is non existent! Jones and Enaruna together would be our best chance for offensive rebounds and put backs!

Last edited:

tomar1

Aug 16, 2008
Who knows these days about returning players, but definitely seems like we have bigger perimeter needs with next year's squad. So, there may be a chance that Eli King gets big early minutes. Especially if he can finish at the basket off the dribble.

I would think we will be very active in the portal this spring looking for a scoring guard if Kalschuer and Brockington don't come back.

At the 4/5 spots we will be pretty solid with Tre King, Enaruna, Kunc and Jones. Hunter should be elite at PG. Just a matter of finding a couple studs at the 2/3 spots. At this point, Grill seems too inconsistent to be a starter on a top-tier Big12 team.
Grill can’t handle the ball, if he can’t catch and shoot he’s not much help! When he gets the ball and not shooting it’s like a hot potato and like freeks out!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron