Ed Podolak stepping aside

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I don’t mind the homer crap.

But technically they are VERY BAD on calling games. You never know where the ball is. You can’t tell if the play was good or bad for Iowa.

The bolded times 1 million.

But you CAN tell if the play was good or bad for Iowa, because if it was bad, they will be talking about ANYTHING else:
  • 4 minutes ago, so-and-so made his 10th out of 13 free throws over the past 5 games, nice percentage!
  • If only Iowa could have converted that 3rd down two possessions ago, they'd still have the ball.
  • Marjorie in Lone Tree is listening, celebrating her 98th birthday today! Big Hawk fan is Marjorie!
  • Spahn & Rose Lumber in Dyersville, for all your shingles and lumber needs!

Bestaluckcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2009
One of you should apply for the replacement. Know several that could appreciate a Cyclone slant to the Hawk games. Could at least give the game score when Iowa trails.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Remember, this is the fan base that revered Jim Zabel.

"And he gets the ball and he's running and he's running hard and oh hug and kiss those radios and it'll be 2nd and 12'

Iirc lots of 'if that linebacker wouldn't have been there he would have gone for 25!' type of stuff like what a crazy theory if someone hadn't tackled the ball carrier.

Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
Darn shame. Those 2 are so bad at calling games, it's entertaining for ISU fans to listen to. Was hoping Ed would stick around another 10 years.

ISU has a great team in Walters and Heft.
Ed is not the problem with their ****** radio broadcast. The problem’s name is Dolph. Everything moves and happens too fast for him. It’s near comical listening to him ‘describe’ what he is seeing. There are whole plays in football that go by without description. Basketball is even worse with its quicker pace.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
The bolded times 1 million.

But you CAN tell if the play was good or bad for Iowa, because if it was bad, they will be talking about ANYTHING else:
  • 4 minutes ago, so-and-so made his 10th out of 13 free throws over the past 5 games, nice percentage!
  • If only Iowa could have converted that 3rd down two possessions ago, they'd still have the ball.
  • Marjorie in Lone Tree is listening, celebrating her 98th birthday today! Big Hawk fan is Marjorie!
  • Spahn & Rose Lumber in Dyersville, for all your shingles and lumber needs!

I'm always struck by how many mistakes they make about jersey numbers, names, down-and-distance, etc. Always correcting themselves. Don't they have spotters?

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Ed stepped down several years ago. This just makes it official.
Remember, this is the fan base that revered Jim Zabel.

"And he gets the ball and he's running and he's running hard and oh hug and kiss those radios and it'll be 2nd and 12'
Also Jimmy Z..."I love it, I love it, I love it!"

• Winner
Reactions: wxman1

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I enjoyed listening to Gary and Ed over the years. Their corny phrases and schtick made me smile at their biased calls on the field....but that is what you expect when listening to the home team radio network.

IMO he is a huge loss for hawkeye fans, and will be impossible to replace his passion.

I think what I enjoy most about listening to Ed and Gary is you always wonder how the other team even survived the game.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
The only thing I'll miss is Hassells impression of Ed. That and him generally be an embarrassing representative for the hawks, but they have lots of those so not such a big deal there.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I enjoyed listening to Gary and Ed over the years. Their corny phrases and schtick made me smile at their biased calls on the field....but that is what you expect when listening to the home team radio network.

IMO he is a huge loss for hawkeye fans, and will be impossible to replace his passion.
This is exactly how I see Ed and Dolph. I like Heft and Walters better, but those guys were dyed in the wool homers and it made for an entertaining product