Dropped Balls

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
How many did we have on Sat. night? It seemed like a ton and at crucial times of the game. At least that was the case in the first half if I remember correctly.

IIRC, dropped passes were a highly noticeable feature of the spring game, too.

So far, the games have produced pretty much what I expected them to produce (which in itself surprises me, since I'm not that accurate in my forecasts ;-) -- inconsistent play. Green players performing up-and-down, week-to-week and even quarter-to-quarter.

Generally speaking, aren't the most powerful teams those with seasoned upper-classmen starting at most positions? Isn't this why many of us think we might be hell-on-wheels on 2009, when we return 16-18 starters? (Not including our kickers, all of which return also.)

We've got training wheels on right now. Kinda the way it is when your new coach is building the program from the foundation up, one course at a time. . . .

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Dont forget the would-be interception that hit Hunley (I believe) right in the hands in the first half. Would have stopped a UNLV TD...

Yep. Our safety play is just not that good. They are simply not playmakers, they never make plays, they drop interceptions, and they often take terrible pursuit angles. I would say our safety position needs an upgrade in talent next season, bring in a couple Jucos and move a corner over (Kennard Banks maybe) if necessary.

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
. . . Our safety play is just not that good. They are simply not playmakers. . . . I would say our safety position needs an upgrade in talent next season, bring in a couple Jucos and move a corner over (Kennard Banks maybe) if necessary.

A couple of weeks ago, Gene said that they would bring in only a couple or so JUCO players in the upcoming recruiting class. Just recently we got a commitment from Troy Butler (6-1, 200), a California JUCO safety.

Given these circumstances, looks like you're right on target and the staff wants immediate help at safety.

Help Support Us

Become a patron