Drexel review

bthomps01

Dec 7, 2006
excited for new leadership. Overall impressions. Team appeared much more aggressive and conditioned than past teams.

125. Allison showed a lot of fight in defeat
133 Parker is going to be good. Showed patience but yet aggressive
141 Storr dominated from the start
149 Dewitt looked young. Didn’t push tempo
157 Straw needs to learn how to finish a shot
165 Breitenbach. Had his head on mat most of match. Frustrating to watch
174 Entzal. Not sure what to say here. Nothing positive
184 Dane. The only senior should a good motor
197 Colbray. Should his youth
Hwt Harrington liked his pace

Overall I see progress in the team. And the line up in play today. Probably won’t be seen again.
Good crowd an excitement. Need to keep it going

psyclone51

Nov 6, 2011
Obviously disappointed with the team result, but was really pleased to see a different style of team than we have seen the past few years. Most wrestlers were aggressive and most still had some juice left in the 3rd. Lots of work to be done, but the impact of our new coaches is apparent. I for one am looking forward to great things in the future.

crawfy54

Dec 28, 2006
Ames, Iowa
Was really disappointed with colbrays and straws results. Completely different team score if those matches go they way they "should" have.

Our 125 showed some GRIT!

Loved parkers persistance, I think his opponent that he beat is going to win a lot of matches this year.

Who will be in the lineup that wasn't today?

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
Was really disappointed with colbrays and straws results. Completely different team score if those matches go they way they "should" have.

Our 125 showed some GRIT!

Loved parkers persistance, I think his opponent that he beat is going to win a lot of matches this year.

Who will be in the lineup that wasn't today?

Presumably, Marmolejo at 125, Dante/Degen at 149, and maybe Hank Swalla at 174. St. John at 165 possibly.

• Agree
Reactions: 6scrapper7

djhart69

Feb 1, 2017
I like to see all of the positive comments, but that was bad! Historically bad considering Drexel is easliy in the bottom 25-30% of all Division 1 teams. I can only think of a few dual losses ever this bad...West Virginia last year and 2012 when we lost to Boston U and Army on the same day.

Don't get me wrong, we hired the right guy, we have some young talent and it will eventually get turned in the right direction, but that was a horrible dual!

There were a couple of guys that weren't in there that would made a difference, but you can't polish a turd.
We LOST TO DREXEL! Wow!

BillyClone

Mar 20, 2006
Ankeny IA
I like to see all of the positive comments, but that was bad! Historically bad considering Drexel is easliy in the bottom 25-30% of all Division 1 teams. I can only think of a few dual losses ever this bad...West Virginia last year and 2012 when we lost to Boston U and Army on the same day.

Don't get me wrong, we hired the right guy, we have some young talent and it will eventually get turned in the right direction, but that was a horrible dual!

There were a couple of guys that weren't in there that would made a difference, but you can't polish a turd.
We LOST TO DREXEL! Wow!

It was 6/10ths bad. I don’t see it as HORRIBLE. Scored a tech fall and two majors. 5 of 6 lost matches were by 1 or 2 points. I actually was worried it could have been worse.

howellc33

Mar 18, 2012
Britt, IA
There will be growing pains, but from what I'm hearing the program is trending in the right direction. DSJ recently said the staff would obviously love to see wins, but at this point to see the guys fight tooth and nail. Sounds to me like we've got guys doing that. In a couple years this team will be special.

• Agree
Reactions: skibumspe

CyAGR

Nov 21, 2014
Iowa
I get that losing to Drexel is disappointing but people need to be realistic with expectations for this year. We only won 1 dual last year, have no returning AA’s, and have an extremely young team. It was encouraging to see a decent crowd today and I thought our conditioning and aggressiveness was good. I look forward to continued improvement and the development of these guys. Good times are ahead for Cyclone wrestling.

HGoat

Dec 18, 2014
Denver, Colorado
Bummed that we couldn't seal the deal at 49 or 57.

Pestano, Parker, Storr and Harrington looked good. Think we'll see different guys at 25/74 later on in the season. Probably won't be great at either but should be better.

cywr89

May 14, 2009
Will we see Danny Bush anytime soon?
Wouldn't surprise me if he ends up RS and you will only see him at Opens. We have four Freshmen RS at 174. They'll keep Coleman RS but would not be surprise if Franklin or Southard get a look later in the season. No reason to RS all of them if they can help and get some matches this season.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
133 - Desanto had one of the highest paces I've ever seen in the first period. He got a quick takedown and then a stall point and I was worried that Parker was going to be overwhelmed. But, he held his ground and withstood the early onslaught. After that, he controlled the rest of the match and was clearly the better wrestler.
141 - Storr is a stud. Very slick on his feet and extremely aggressive. I expect very good things from him this year.
165 - Supposedly he's been out for a while and you could tell. I think Breitenbach wins that match 9/10 times. 10/10 if he's 100% healthy and been training.
184 - Pestano looked great back up in weight. He was doing everything we saw him do a couple of years ago. His gas tank is always there and he's going to fight. Expect him to be at the NCAAs again this year.
197 - Colbray was in deep on a shot and got hit with a great counter takedown. His leg ended up in a bad position and he was turked over for the pin. Not sure how to judge the match. Would have liked to see him wrestle the full 7 to see how it goes.
Hvy - Really liked what I saw from Harrington. He really pushed for that major decision which is something we didn't see much under the previous regime. Also some great leg attacks. Looks to be very strong in his lower body and I think is big enough to compete at heavyweight.

125 and 149 - These guys tried hard, but really have no business starting for ISU (or any D1 team imo). Neither of their opponents was very good. But I give them credit for battling hard given they are the 3rd string options for ISU. If Marm or either of ISU's 49 wrestle they win these matches.

I really liked Dresser's demeanor on the side of the mat. He is very calm and I think that is contagious to the wrestlers. Very Cael like quality.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale

We LOST TO DREXEL! Wow!
I don’t know a ton and it was disappointing but they said Drexel was a top 25 team last year. Not good but you are making it worse than it was.

Reactions: skibumspe

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
I don’t know a ton and it was disappointing but they said Drexel was a top 25 team last year. Not good but you are making it worse than it was.

I think it is fair to say it was a bad loss, if the exact same results to the season so far had happened under the old staff people would have been calling for their heads. But we were short a couple of guys due to a combination of injuries and Dresser actually holding people accountable, plus we don't know how this staff chooses to treat training cycles for low priority meets (based on their comments I get the impression they are cycling for Lindenwood this weekend). So I'd give at an incomplete. If we suffer a loss like this in January that'd be a really bad sign. Or actually sooner than that, if we wrestle at Cliff Keen in a few weeks like we did at Nichols and against Drexel then that's a bad sign.

Last edited:

OOTClone

Jan 3, 2017
Overall, good first dual. I think you saw the style you want from the majority of guys, especially the expected top performers. A few guys missing makes it harder to judge as a whole. But, also have to keep in mind what the coaches are working with here. This lineup isn't going to win a ton of duals because of the major holes in it. Rather look at the style wrestled and the progression the guys make throughout the year. That's going to be the telling thing with this coaching staff, and things we haven't been used to seeing since 2010.

Help Support Us

Become a patron