Does Dekkers being a lefty affect how people may perceive his potential?

FeedBreece

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2020
It sound ridiculous at first glance, but I think it’s something that’s legit to bring up. I think it largely goes unspoken and it’s understandable why.

But the reality is that there’s been very few leftys in recent years that have thrived at the collegiate or pro level. Tua is the only example I can think of from recent years. Otherwise you have to go back to your Tim Tebow’s of the world. (in which case, he almost shouldn’t count due to his unique style)

Does anyone else get stuck on thinking about this? I understand it definitely is unfair to the kid to judge him based on that trait. But there are significant factors in having a left handed QB you have to adjust for. The spin of the ball is the opposite, the entire offensive line essentially flips.

Personally I am pretty excited for Dekkers this year. But I can’t help but feel slightly uneasy about him, just due to previous track record on lefty’s in general. It almost feels like it bleeds into how I evaluate him as a player.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
They are a lot less lefties in general. So how many have failed? I doubt it is that much different.

Reactions: GetAwesome

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
The whole "catching a pass from a lefty is tough" thing is overblown and a two edged sword. Your receivers are practicing with the guy every day. On the other hand, the defenders you face in games aren't able to practice against him and they have to try to intercept his passes.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
I find it distracting to watch so I just assume it is challenging for the receivers. But that probably isn't true since they work together for hours a day year round and I just watch a couple hours 12 Saturdays a year.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
If the left hand/arm is being used to find the open guy for 6 yards on 2nd and 5 because ISU didn't need 36 down the middle of the field, I'm good.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Yea, Phil Mickelsen ruined the whole "Lefty" thing for me. Go Righty's.

If he can complete passes accurately and at a high rate, he can throw it underhand for all I care!!