Do you want Campbell gone?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021
I'm willing to give Clanton another year to get this OL figured out. But next year we need to be good. The offense can work if we have the players. Right now we don't have the players. I do think we have enough talent in the RB room IF we can get the OL sorted out. But if they don't show some improvement then yeah it's time to move on. I don't see Campbell changing his offense.
Its not just the talent in the RB run. We don't have the talent anywhere to run this offense.

CYedUp

Dec 18, 2021
Time for the freshman class to hit the portal and save themselves. The Fiesta Bowl argument makes no sense. Would mean more to me if it came during a full schedule. Lots of interesting names out there who would love to coach in Ames. Best thing for all involved would've been for CMC to leave for a "better" job a couple years ago
Which names are you referring to?

LincolnSwinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 10, 2008
Are our recruiting classes ranked behind Ohio's?
This is the right question. It isn’t a talent issue when you get dominated by a MAC team (just offense obviously, though the D didn’t look as dominant as I hoped either)

Reactions: cymac2408

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
What an absolutely asinine thread. Let’s fire the best coach we’ve had ever in the history of our university because we’re off to a slow start during, unfortunately, another rebuilding year with a young offensive roster and the first year with a new offensive staff. I’m sure fans wanted to fire Campbell after we lost to Louisiana too and we went on to win the fiesta bowl that year.

I remember the days when I was this this kind of a delusional fan. Then in 2005 we went 7-5 with a team that should have at least won 10 games, and in 2006 we went 4-8 (1-7) with a team that nearly every preseason magazine had us winning the North comfortably. A "McCarney can do wrong" kind of fan finally hit his breaking point and I finally had to jump off the bandwagon.

I have seen this story play out too many times at ISU: coach wants to prove he's the smartest person in the room and refuses to change when it's clear that what he insists on sticking to isn't working because the game has changed around him, leaving him behind.

The forced firing of Manning last year was a mandate that things had to change. Instead, Campbell has doubled down on the gutless conservative gameplans that don't work. If he was mandated to change and refused to change, that's a coach that shouldn't be coaching.

Old87

Sep 30, 2012
I don’t think that ISU will fire Campbell after this year, but I would like Campbell to admit that he owns the current problems with the program and has an idea of how to fix it. I think that he got too proud of himself when things were going great, then he lost out on the Notre Dame job, his ego and enthusiasm took a hit. Now it is time to step up and show what he is made of. Can he assemble and lead a team of champions? Part of leadership is knowing when to delegate responsibilities to teammates with better skills.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I’d be much more open to him staying if he showed any indication he learns from these loses. But he doesn’t. Every game follows the same script and it has for years. And he does not change.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Don't really care. I'm having a hard time seeing us getting a better coach. Just all seems ****** now. The Fiesta Bowl win may have been the peak of ISU football for a very long time.
B.S. We could have hired Chris Kleimen when he was at NDSU. We could have also hired Lance Leipold, but we took Campbell.

• Dumb
Reactions: CyDude16

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
He won us a freakin fiesta bowl guys.

Of course not. But it’s clear this offense has been inept since Purdy left. A lot of difficulties off the field also this season with gambling sanctions and players getting food poisoning today didn’t help.

But there is no excuse with the play calling today. Why are we not passing to tight ends and WRs more? Why keep trying to run it? This offensive line stinks also so trying to run it continues to make no sense.

Just completely lost hope for this season. These players don’t even care, no energy or passion on the side line.

The Dline doesn’t seem to be creating as much pressure as they did in the UNI game.

The offense was inept with purdy here too. 7-6 with NFL talent all over the field.

David Freshman1982

Sep 14, 2022
What an absolutely asinine thread. Let’s fire the best coach we’ve had ever in the history of our university because we’re off to a slow start during, unfortunately, another rebuilding year with a young offensive roster and the first year with a new offensive staff. I’m sure fans wanted to fire Campbell after we lost to Louisiana too and we went on to win the fiesta bowl that year.
Um, that might be juuuust a bit of a reach there friend.

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
I’d be much more open to him staying if he showed any indication he learns from these loses. But he doesn’t. Every game follows the same script and it has for years. And he does not change.

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
I would like to see him quit getting out coached, out smarted, out played and unprepared players

• Haha
Reactions: CyDude16

QBEagles

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 11, 2014
I don't think he's truly on the hot seat until next year. Coaches who can win NY6 games are worth giving a longer leash to, and a lot of our issues are correctable. But I can't say I'm confident he'll do what it takes to fix the coaching issues at this point.

He does do a lot of things well. His recruiting and development has given us our most talented teams in my lifetime, and that's probably the hardest part of the job. The defense is elite, and while you can rightfully give Heacock a lot of credit for that he's probably only staying on staff with Campbell. The odds of getting a good developmental coach with a great defensive scheme that won't bolt at the first sign of success are very, very low.

But the offensive scheme is broken, and it doesn't look like we're trying to fix it. Campbell and the staff actually have completely reworked a scheme and had success with it, they did it mid-season in year 2 with the defense, but for whatever reason he's unwilling to try that with the offense.

He's also a terrible game manager, which is really the easiest part of the job. Just hire an analyst, play some Madden and figure out what works, or just go with the more aggressive option every time since that's usually correct. Even notoriously stubborn Kirk Ferentz has significantly improved at it since his early days. Just stop playing not to lose.

TL;DR I think this can largely be fixed if he stops being stubborn, but I'm not seeing any sign that's coming soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.