Disney Cruise tips?

cyflier

Apr 13, 2006
Wife is adamant on taking the kids(8 & 4)on a Disney Cruise first of the year. Anyone have experience with these? I’m trying to convince her to go to an all inclusive resort instead.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Go to a resort or, if you are hellbent on a cruise, do Royal Caribbean or Norwegian.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
I have no insight into modern cruises but I went on a “family cruise ship” as a kid and I hated every second of it. Constantly rushed, super crowded, and herded like cattle. Everything was scheduled and felt like you couldn’t relax.

My advice is go to a resort.

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
Lol, don't hate it if you havent been on it. Here is my advice: drop your kids off at the kids area for their age. Prepare to not see them again until it's time to sleep. Go to the adult area or spa and enjoy your kid-free day. They don't usually advertise this, but you can order as many things as you want at dinners so take advantage of it if you see multiple things you want to try.

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
Disney Cruises are the best! Let me preface that with this: If you want to spend your vacation drinking large amount of alcohol or if you don't enjoy time with your kids, you might want something different.

The only disadvantages are that you loose a little bit of variety on the buffet due to inclusion of kids food and they don't have gambling on board.

If you are any type of Disney fan, you will love it. Points of interest:
- You can check your kids into and out of the kids club whenever you want. You will get a daily schedule, segregated by age group (including adults) and can pick an choose what activity you want to do.
- Their entertainment is all family oriented, but it is first class. You will want to try to catch the evening shows if at all possible.
- As someone noted above, at your evening sit down meal, you will get options of different hors d'oeuvres, soup/salad, main dish, and desert. You can one more than one of each if you prefer.
- There is a theater on board that plays different Disney and extended Disney movies; i.e. we watched Star Wars movies while on board.
- If you or you're kids are any kind of Disney fan, you will enjoy the decor, the character visits, and the dining.
- With small kids, you will have the same waiters for evening sit down. They will cut up your kids food for you. At first, this freaked us out. But we quickly got used to it and missed it when we got home.
- There are 2 adult only 'fancy' restaurants on board. They cost extra, but if you enjoy fine dining, you might enjoy this. Check the entertainment schedule and reserve that early.
- If you go, schedule your excursions ASAP. Disney does a great job of screening local activities and coordinating with them to keep groups together.
- There is an adult section on upper deck with a coffee house and quiet pool - you can get away.
- We've been on several 7 day Disney Cruises. Never had any real trouble with kids getting in our way on those. I have friends that did shorter Disney cruises and commented their experience with all the kids was not great. Maybe longer cruises attracts better 'behaved' (for lack of better term) kids?
- Coke products and ice cream are unlimited and free (i mean included). Alcohol will cost extra. You can sign up for whiskey tasting, scotch tasting or 'how-to-become-a-bartender" classes. Small fee for those.
- I think all cruise lines have their own resort. We like to just hang on the beach at Disney's island. If you want to do anything there, reserve it early.
- Internet access is very expensive
- Disney owns ESPN. You will have access to ESPN sports broadcasts in your room or the sports bar.
- If you want to know more, buy a book about how to best enjoy Disney Cruises. There is a lot to consider to get the most out of it.

I've been on Princess and Carnival. I don't need a hairy chest contest, slot machines, or Vegas style entertainment. While I have never been at an all inclusive resort, I was never wanting anything that wasn't on board (ok, maybe internet - but that was good to not have). You can do as much or as little as you want. There is always something going on. I think the single biggest difference is alcohol. If you want to drink lots of alcohol - do a resort and you'll save a bunch. If that isn't the main goal, I strongly suggest a Disney cruise.

Look, I am not a big drinker and I like spending time with my kids. We used the kids clubs, but only for activities they wanted to do and only a couple hours a day. We enjoyed the onboard entertainment and the excursions. Generally, we loved every Disney Cruise we went on.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Take the kids to the Wisconsin Dells next summer. Take your wife to a Sandals this winter.