Detroit CB commits to ISU

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Doesn't need to be 6'2 and 200 LBS..5'10 is fine in big 12. We've had some pretty salty DB's that were under 6'. Love this kids tape..really has knack for the ball and hits. Don't care about stars or ratings..who wanted this kid..Iowa, Pitt and others..Yes please..As much as i despise Iowa their D coaches can identify secondary talent pretty well. What is that 2 or 3 kids just in this class that ISU has gotten over Iowa offers?

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
Doesn't need to be 6'2 and 200 LBS..5'10 is fine in big 12. We've had some pretty salty DB's that were under 6'. Love this kids tape..really has knack for the ball and hits. Don't care about stars or ratings..who wanted this kid..Iowa, Pitt and others..Yes please..As much as i despise Iowa their D coaches can identify secondary talent pretty well. What is that 2 or 3 kids just in this class that ISU has gotten over Iowa offers?
A few not bad players named Ellis Hobbs, Leonard Johnson, and Brian Peavy come to mind. Honestly this big DB thing the coaches are recruiting is new territory. Not totally sold on it yet because we don't recruit like the blue bloods. In the Big 12 speed is more important than size, but they also want versatility. Still, I trust them. At worst you end up with a few extra safety/Star types.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Yep agree..i just want DB's that can tackle and make plays on the ball. Don't care how tall they are and i agree I'll take a really fast 5'10 DB over a 6'1 DB that isnt'.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
thumbs_up_waynes_world.gif

Reactions: cyfan21

DBQR4CY

Jun 7, 2013
Ankeny(By way of Dubuque)
There's a difference between the 3 stars with mid major offers and ones with several Power 5 offers. This coaching staff isn't settling. They may toss out a lot of offers, but that's for advertising purposes. It gets Iowa State's name into areas where people only know ISU for basketball. They still can target specific recruits and zero in on them. This was a great pickup today. Hope to hear more news like this when the camps are over. This class could be practical full by then.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
I wonder how solid he is if Michigan or Michigan State offer. The HN article stated those two and Wisconsin were expressing interest.

***Wow, my 4,000th post. Never thought I posted that much, kind of embarrassed by that. :)***

Reactions: khardbored

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Welcome Jaeveyon! Really like his film. Aggressive in run support and shows great cover skills. Has a nose for the ball and has really good hands. He looks like a great addition.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
As with any verbal commit, it's great to get, but doesn't really mean all that much these days. Would love to have him though, looks like a great prospect. But if some bigger named schools come calling it might be hard for him to turn down.

• Disagree
Reactions: CyValley

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
As with any verbal commit, it's great to get, but doesn't really mean all that much these days. Would love to have him though, looks like a great prospect. But if some bigger named schools come calling it might be hard for him to turn down.
That's the economics of college football. But we're still clearly showing progress. Better to have commits than to not have commits, and I like the ones we have committed. And the number of decommits everywhere any given year is small in proportion to commits who stick.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Found this, dated 4/21/2017 in the Detroit News, on Morton: "Morton, who runs a 4.55 40, intercepted six passes, four for TDs, including two interceptions, one returned 61 yards for a TD in a 18-0 Division 2 state championship game win over Walled Lake Western.
Jaeveyon Morton ... was named MVP among defensive backs at The Opening regional camp in Cleveland."

Had 19 total offers, another huge win for the Cyclones on the recruiting trail!!!!!