Des Moines Apartments

cyguytillidie

Feb 9, 2010
Des Moines
What are some good places to live in Des Moines for recent college grads?
My roommate and I are both looking to move down to the big city and are trying to figure out where to look. Hoping to find a younger population but if you know of an apartment or area that has a pretty good reputation I would definitely be happy to hear about it and look into it further.

Thanks.

tjh1984

Feb 11, 2009
New Orleans
I lived in Des Moines for a year after college and lived in 333 E. Grand. This is back in 2009 but for a 2 bedroom/2 bathroom the apt ran for $1000 total. It was a great place in an awesome location and was an amazing value! I had no regrets on renting from there.

Reactions: cyguytillidie

cyguytillidie

Feb 9, 2010
Des Moines
I lived in Des Moines for a year after college and lived in 333 E. Grand. This is back in 2009 but for a 2 bedroom/2 bathroom the apt ran for $1000 total. It was a great place in an awesome location and was an amazing value! I had no regrets on renting from there.
Thanks!

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
What are some good places to live in Des Moines for recent college grads?
My roommate and I are both looking to move down to the big city and are trying to figure out where to look. Hoping to find a younger population but if you know of an apartment or area that has a pretty good reputation I would definitely be happy to hear about it and look into it further.

Thanks.

Are you wanting strictly downtown Des Moines or open to suburbs?

Do you have a job in a certain area?

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Full disclosure, I used to work for this company, but I live at a BH Management property. They are competitively priced. I think we currently pay $785 for our 2 bedroom in the Southwestern Hills neighborhood (Weston Park). They have 5 or so properties in Des Moines.

http://www.bhmanagement.com/
Otherwise, I know a lot of (younger) people that live or have lived Sun Prairie. Downtown is another good choice for a hipper crowd, as is West Glen in WDM.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Thought about starting a thread on this but think it might have limited appeal so I'm going to just stick it here. Very interesting thread IMO from another forum listing all the current development projects taking place in and around downtown Des Moines (including renderings). Might give the OP some incentive to think seriously about living downtown to be near all the action that is taking place right now.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=211178

MrPeske

Apr 11, 2006
downtown Des Moines
WDSM >>> DT

We can agree to disagree. If you want to drive in your car a lot & get stuck in traffic West DM could be the place. I'd say living close to where you work if possible is the move & if thats in WDM then there you go. Hopefully you can avoid it although many like it like CloneinWDSM.

Go State

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I have friends that live at West Glen who seem to really like it. Good younger scene, good social life there, etc.

I don't know what they pay or how the management is but when I visit it is always fun and everything there is really nice.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
If you will be working downtown or like going out downtown a lot, then that's probably best for you. If those 2 aren't high on your list of priorities I'd vote WDM. I like the neighborhoods, easy to get to/get out of traffic-wise, & still close enough to everything.

During my apartment time I lived at Sun Prairie. Very affordable, pretty nice, & plenty of younger people.

Cyclonin

Feb 18, 2012
Dallas, TX
We can agree to disagree. If you want to drive in your car a lot & get stuck in traffic West DM could be the place. I'd say living close to where you work if possible is the move & if thats in WDM then there you go. Hopefully you can avoid it although many like it like CloneinWDSM.

Go State

I'm not trying to be that guy, but there isn't really much traffic around DSM outside of an accident closing down lanes.

EDIT: And I don't mean that negatively. DSM does very good with keeping traffic flowing. They have a great road system that lets traffic flow easily whether its on 80,35,235 or through the main streets.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Smoking or Non-Smoking? Shooting or Non-Shooting?

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
Full disclosure, I used to work for this company, but I live at a BH Management property. They are competitively priced. I think we currently pay $785 for our 2 bedroom in the Southwestern Hills neighborhood (Weston Park). They have 5 or so properties in Des Moines.

Otherwise, I know a lot of (younger) people that live or have lived Sun Prairie. Downtown is another good choice for a hipper crowd, as is West Glen in WDM.
I'd be careful with Sun Prairie. They have a lot of gov't subsidized housing, and the clientelle that go with that.

My daughter has lived before and is currently downtown, and loved it.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
We lived at Boulder Ridge which is by Valley HS. Living there was fine. Nice place and very competitive $$$ wise. Never seen them advertise so not sure if they just don't or if I missed it.
A few have mentioned living downtown. If we could do it again, pre kids, I think we would live downtown. We found ourselves driving down there anyway several nights a week and this was 12 years ago when there wasn't nearly as much to do then as there is now. I think they are planning a grocery store soon down there too which will help a bunch. Wife and I have talked about living downtown when kids move out. Walking to bball games, concerts, tons of restaurants.

sunnysideup

Aug 6, 2009
The Metro

My wife and I lived at Weston Park from early 2005 after we moved from Ames to late 2006 when we got out house. We started living there when the old management group ran the place and then a few months of BH before we left. They were OK, nothing special but not horrid. I do remember our AC sucked balls and after a ton of service calls we were hoping and praying they would just replace the damn unit but they never did. The commute downtown is pretty easy and unfortunately I didn't realize Orlondo's was such a blast to chill out at until the last month I lived there. For actual "Des Moines" city limits living it's not bad and the neighborhood is pretty good.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
We lived at Boulder Ridge which is by Valley HS. Living there was fine. Nice place and very competitive $$$ wise. Never seen them advertise so not sure if they just don't or if I missed it.
A few have mentioned living downtown. If we could do it again, pre kids, I think we would live downtown. We found ourselves driving down there anyway several nights a week and this was 12 years ago when there wasn't nearly as much to do then as there is now. I think they are planning a grocery store soon down there too which will help a bunch. Wife and I have talked about living downtown when kids move out. Walking to bball games, concerts, tons of restaurants.

BINGO to statement in bold! This was my point about talking from experience. Suburbia will alway be there.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron