Deon Silas Commits!

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
There is not an offensive player in Iowa that has the raw talent and speed this kid has. It would be a mistake to take an Iowa Kid over him. Iowa simply does not have the athletes this staff wants compared to what Ohio, Florida, Texas, Illinois Missouri, and Arizona have.

Last edited:

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
There is not an offensive player in Iowa that has the raw talent and speed this kid has. It would be a mistake to take an Iowa Kid over him. Iowa simply does not have the athletes this staff wants compared to Ohio, Florida, Texas, Illinois Missouri, and Arizona have.
I played high school football in Iowa. I wouldn't have played in other states and not because of my interest level.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
The more I watch this kid's tape, the more I like him.

I don't know if anyone else has said it yet, but I will.... he looks to me like David Montgomery in a 5'7" body. Yes, he doesn't have breakaway speed, and neither did DM. What he has is vision and balance. You can't teach that. He finds the holes, and he just bounces off tacklers and stays on his feet. Great addition IMO! He'd be a 4 star if he was a few inches taller.

As for instate kids.... I wish we could land the best OL in the state every year, but that isn't likely to happen with the way Iowa puts kids in the NFL at the OL position. Obviously every once in a while you get good skill position player instate, but not too often. Lazard was one. And I really like this Brecht kid and hope we land him too.

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011

I don't know if anyone else has said it yet, but I will.... he looks to me like David Montgomery in a 5'7" body. Yes, he doesn't have breakaway speed, and neither did DM. What he has is vision and balance. You can't teach that. He finds the holes, and he just bounces off tacklers and stays on his feet. Great addition IMO! He'd be a 4 star if he was a few inches taller.

As for instate kids.... I wish we could land the best OL in the state every year, but that isn't likely to happen with the way Iowa puts kids in the NFL at the OL position. Obviously every once in a while you get good skill position player instate, but not too often. Lazard was one. And I really like this Brecht kid and hope we land him too.
I think Darien Porter fits that mold of athletic instate kids Iowa State has went after.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
There is not an offensive player in Iowa that has the raw talent and speed this kid has. It would be a mistake to take an Iowa Kid over him. Iowa simply does not have the athletes this staff wants compared to what Ohio, Florida, Texas, Illinois Missouri, and Arizona have.

No one is saying "take a less talented kid from Iowa, over a more talented kid from out of state." What I am saying is that Iowa will produce on average about 7 to 10 instate P5 players a year, and frankly we are not getting enough of those players. The numbers point that out, we need to do a better job recruiting and signing the top players from the state, that can play at a high level in a P5 conference.

Campbell has done a remarkable job upgrading our recruiting over the past four years, we have moved from the mid 50's to the mid 40's, great job by him and his staff. Now lets start signing 3 out of the 5 best Iowa kids worthy of a scholarship and grow it further.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha

I don't know if anyone else has said it yet, but I will.... he looks to me like David Montgomery....

I actually thought the exact same thing yesterday when I was watching his video.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I think Darien Porter fits that mold of athletic instate kids Iowa State has went after.

I think you're right, as long as Darien can put on some good weight and muscle. But yeah, he's a freak athlete. He's listed at 175 lbs though. Lazard and Butler were both over 220 lbs.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I think you're right, as long as Darien can put on some good weight and muscle. But yeah, he's a freak athlete. He's listed at 175 lbs though. Lazard and Butler were both over 220 lbs.
Not out of high school they weren't.

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
I'm not talking identify, but actually signing them to play for ISU. We all want the to see ISU improve in football, we all believe in Coach Campbell, but to see us improve, we need to start getting the majority of the best players to sign and play for ISU.

Look at any state that has two or more P5 programs, which on gets the instate talent or most of it and which one comes in 2nd? Then how are those programs doing compared to each other?
We should be careful about assigning causation to that correlation. Teams that win get better recruits, in-state or not.

Fwiw, I don't think Campbell has to change a thing with how he recruits. He has great relationships with coaches in Iowa (and across the Midwest and plains), and more kids are growing up ISU fans than ever before. Recruit the best players for your program that you can get, and win more games and more players will want to play for you.

In-state recruiting takes care of itself if you win, so winning Cy-Hawk games and competing for Big 12 titles can't hurt. Not to mention we'd have achieved that nine win high-water mark a couple of times already under Campbell if we'd have beaten Iowa. And if you can't beat Iowa, you can't realistically win a Big 12 title 99 times out of 100, so I'm in agreement with others, we need to beat them eventually.

Reactions: LincolnSwinger

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
In general, for skill positions, I'd agree. There's always exceptions like Brecht and Porter, but there's usually only one or two per class in state.

Edit: I kinda forgot this was a Deon Silas thread. Been excited for this kid for a year now. Slot receiver, scat back, returner. You can never have too many returners.

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
If CMC ever takes more than three or four kids from Iowa in a year I would be shocked. I know Iowans love Iowa, but the talent there will not carry a program to any major success. If you want to be top 25, then you better be jumping on planes and traveling anywhere a talented kid lives who has the ability to play big time football and shows interest in ISU. PERIOD.

Reactions: Tony Gunk

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Not out of high school they weren't.

Of course not, that's why I said he still needs to add good weight and muscle.... if possible? Some people just can't do it.

Porter is going into year 2, and he's still listed at 175 lbs currently. He's got a ways to go. Hopefully he can get to at least 200 lbs someday. I know Butler was pretty thin coming out of HS, so it can still be done.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
I think getting Silas is great as he has position versatility and a nose for the end zone.

I’m regards to the Iowa recruits it’s concerning. All these people on here saying CMC shouldn’t focus on in state recruits are really ignoring one fact. The staff offered and would have loved to get Colby, Liddell, and are still in the running and really want Bollers. Frankly you take good in state lineman if you can get them and we have not ironed out that position in the least. Liddell is a great starting mold for a DT and had an athletic profile that looks identical to Tristan Wirfs, who was also an excellent HW wrestler and will be a top 15 pick this year. And Bollers could be the best WDE prospect we have seen in the state. Campbell wanted these guys but he couldn’t get most of them. That’s not a great thing.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
I agree that Campbell has a great eye for finding lower ranking recruits that exceed their ranking by the time they are done playing. That’s huge for a program like ISU and will allow us to get 7-8 wins, and overachieve when you compare recruiting team rankings versus #of wins. But to take the next step to 10 wins, we need more 4* players.

Wouldn’t you agree that typically recruiting team rankings correlate well with # of wins?
I do agree with you, but not all of the lower ranked kids end up being good. This entire class is full of kids that are ranked pretty low. At this rate we will have a lower class rating than Kansas. Everyone says stars and rating don't matter, but they do to a point. 7-8 wins a season is not bad, but we want to go beyond that and landing a couple of 4 star recruits every year would definitely help. I can see Silas having a much better career that his ratings say he should. I don't see him as an every down back, but he will be a nice complimentary player that can lineup in the backfield or in the slot.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron