Denae Fritz transferring

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Kielsmeier is one of the nicest guys in the world. IF Bill retired in the next few years, he is the only call you make.

Couldn't agree more, I knew him when he was going to Iowa State. Fun fact: Chris was on the cheer squad when he was a student.

Reactions: MJ29

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
It's not as troubling as Feuerbach, Donarski or Fritz leaving, but they still have remaining eligibility and are choosing to play elsewhere. Definitely more tolerable, but when taking within the context of what's going on I'd consider it somewhat troubling.
Jadda Buckley, Adriana Camber, Rae Johnson, Kristin Scott - short list of recent players off the top of my head who left ISU with eligibility remaining and didn’t desire to play again. I don’t need a recap of Buckley’s injury issues! Just adding another layer of circumstantial evidence that playing for this ISU staff may take the fun from the game!

I sincerely hope Pollard is making inquiries - absolute power corrupts and the Fennelly clan has much support and leverage.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
When they talked to her about going home to Tenn she could not have looked more far away and get me out of this interview because Im not going to be here much longer anyway. I knew from that moment it was a matter time before we heard she is out. Lexi total surprise-
Or maybe she doesn't like doing interviews? A lot of explanations for that lol

• Agree
Reactions: GT25Ump

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
People also transfer because the coach is a d!ck.
This is the most obvious answer. I don't know why people are trying to find other reasons.

Some players don't like Bill. He is a good coach, but his coaching style might not allow for a consistent roster every season. We were able to keep our core together for 3 years, and that led to a lot of wins. Now what? He either adapts or goes out losing a lot of games.

• Dumb
Reactions: TrulyCyclone

PSYclone22

Visual Analytics Mercenary
SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
Cleveland State coach?

Graduated from Hubbard-Radcliffe and Iowa State, interned for Fennelly in late 90's. Has been a winner at the D3, D2, and D1 level.

▪︎ Howard Payne (2000-08): 179-44 (won D-III national championship in 2008)
▪︎ Wayne State College (2008-18): 237-72
▪︎ Cleveland State (2018-pres.): 98-54
Coaches that win at every level tend to have success when they move to the highest level. I'd certainly start with "proven success at many levels" if talking to a search firm about potentials coaches.

Reactions: WartburgClone

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
Jadda Buckley, Adriana Camber, Rae Johnson, Kristin Scott - short list of recent players off the top of my head who left ISU with eligibility remaining and didn’t desire to play again. I don’t need a recap of Buckley’s injury issues! Just adding another layer of circumstantial evidence that playing for this ISU staff may take the fun from the game!

I sincerely hope Pollard is making inquiries - absolute power corrupts and the Fennelly clan has much support and leverage.

no question that Lexi and Denae transfers are huge loss

But Adriana Camber graduated and has a nice job in Chicago. Kristin I believe is working in Rochester. Jadda has a full time job.
It's normal for players to feel that the basketball phase is over and they are ready to have a "steady" job instead of playing overseas. I don't think it's fair to blame this on BF. Players move on. Not everyone wants to be professional athletes forever or even after graduation.

• Agree
Reactions: AlCyJim and NWICY

wenkeej

Dec 28, 2015
Cambridge
I did a little project during a boring townhall call this morning. Here is the average number of off-season player departures for each women's basketball program in the Big 12 between 2014 and 2022. 2023 player departures are not included in these numbers.

Screenshot 2023-03-29 125823.png

I came up with the numbers per off-season by comparing each season's roster on Wikipedia. I only counted players FR, SO, or JR that did not appear on the next season's roster to try and eliminate graduating players. And I didn't try to determine reasons for a player not appearing on the next season's roster.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I did a little project during a boring townhall call this morning. Here is the average number of off-season player departures for each women's basketball program in the Big 12 between 2014 and 2022. 2023 player departures are not included in these numbers.

View attachment 111461

I came up with the numbers per off-season by comparing each season's roster on Wikipedia. I only counted players FR, SO, or JR that did not appear on the next season's roster to try and eliminate graduating players. And I didn't try to determine reasons for a player not appearing on the next season's roster.

I may be wrong but I think we are the only team on that list to not have a coaching change.

I'd also probably narrow that window down as transferring was much less common until about 5 years ago.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa

View attachment 111461

That does say a lot actually. I felt like ours was way higher than everyone elses.

wenkeej

Dec 28, 2015
Cambridge
I may be wrong but I think we are the only team on that list to not have a coaching change.

I'd also probably narrow that window down as transferring was much less common until about 5 years ago.
Last coaching change per school:

Baylor - 2021
Iowa State - 1995
Kansas - 2015
Kansas St - 2014
Oklahoma - 2021
Oklahoma St - 2022
TCU - 2014 (2023)
Texas - 2020
Texas Tech - 2018, 2020
West Virginia - 2022

• Creative
Reactions: im4isu

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
For reference go to the portal and you will see some big name schools with just as many as or more and some with more underclass players then our 3. I hate to lose Lexi and Denae but players leave for many reasons and we may never know the real reason why.

wenkeej

Dec 28, 2015
Cambridge
That does say a lot actually. I felt like ours was way higher than everyone elses.
Part of the reason I wanted to do this exercise was two-fold. One, to see what Iowa State's actual unexpected turnover was, and two, to see how it compared to everyone else.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

907CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 30, 2010
Northern Polk County
Odds that she will end up closer to home at Kentucky, Tennessee, or Indiana. Tough loss for the Iowa State Way. After watching the McDonald's game, we have a perfect one coming in. Not all is lost yet!

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
no question that Lexi and Denae transfers are huge loss

But Adriana Camber graduated and has a nice job in Chicago. Kristin I believe is working in Rochester. Jadda has a full time job.
It's normal for players to feel that the basketball phase is over and they are ready to have a "steady" job instead of playing overseas. I don't think it's fair to blame this on BF. Players move on. Not everyone wants to be professional athletes forever or even after graduation.

Camber had no eligibility left so not really germane to your point. Don't disagree that peeps should be free to move on after graduation, whether it be to work or to grab an extra years at another school.

Also fair to say that when things are going well some players will opt to take a 5th year. As much as peeps here like to say Clark is a terrible person and awful teammate, two Hawk seniors starters are coming back for a 5th year to play with her.

wenkeej

Dec 28, 2015
Cambridge
Camber had no eligibility left so not really germane to your point. Don't disagree that peeps should be free to move on after graduation, whether it be to work or to grab an extra years at another school.

Also fair to say that when things are going well some players will opt to take a 5th year. As much as peeps here like to say Clark is a terrible person and awful teammate, two Hawk seniors starters are coming back for a 5th year to play with her.
I wonder how much of the expectations for the Cyclone women going into this season played into any player decisions whether to transfer or not. Obviously, unless someone says something specific about it we won't know. But staying together to try and achieve special things isn't far fetched.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY