Denae Fritz transferring

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
And the daughter-in-law slash former player of the coach. It's really tone-deaf in this moment, but being a part of "the family" means circling the wagons.

I don't know when the Fennelly era ends, but if it doesn't end on their terms it's going to be ugly.

Yeah, this is a look into what things could look like if he ends up fired/pushed out here. I hope that's not how things go and I don't see it happening right now. But it could definitely get pretty acrimonious.

tman24

Feb 6, 2008
My god you people are insane. Last year we had the most wins ever (28) and most Big 12 wins ever (14) and go to a Sweet 16. This year we win the Big 12 Tournament, going 2-1 against Texas and Baylor on the season. So enough with the Bill"s washed up, he should just retire stuff.

Was this year still a disappointment? Sure was. Do the transfers suck? Of course. But stop acting like he can't coach, the results are there. We are a **** school who never wins a damn thing of importance, stop acting like our ceiling is mid 2000s UCONN.
Then why did 6 people leave if things are so great?

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Yeah, this is a look into what things could look like if he ends up fired here. I hope that's not how things go and I don't see it happening right now. But it could definitely get pretty acrimonious.

Everything about it is gross - sending the DIL to do the PR dirty work, the vague language, the "you can't possibly understand" tone, the lack of introspection. It's so inappropriate.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
She mentioned outside influences and donating to the collective, as if those were reasons behind the transfers. Blum has said it wasn't. So, either the family has blinders on, or they have been given different reasons.
I thought Blum said Fritz transfer had nothing to do with Donarski's.

So what he could be saying is:

- Donarski transfer because ISU not right fit anymore.
- Fritz transfer maybe NIL?

Blum & CW didn't have insight on Donarski's transfer, but Blum seems to know why Fritz is transferring. Seems like he would know if it was NIL.

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
She mentioned outside influences and donating to the collective, as if those were reasons behind the transfers. Blum has said it wasn't. So, either the family has blinders on, or they have been given different reasons.
Blum and CW said they did not know why Lexi was transferring. Blum only thought it wasn’t NIL related because he had not been contacted. We’ll see.

joyisuful

Feb 3, 2023
Someone posted, and I can’t find it, some coach at a smaller school with Iowa ties and has had success. Any chance you’d know who that coach was?
Chris Kielsmeier from Cleveland State I believe? They played us early in the season. He is from Radcliffe originally. He went to ISU and worked with Fennelly in his later years there, then he had a couple of assistant coach gigs I think and then went to Wayne State. I think he won a National Championship at Wayne State and then got the job at Cleveland State. They won their conference tournament this year and I believe got second in their regular season. Seems like a good fit to me!

• Informative
  • Dislike
Reactions: KCRClone and NWICY

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007
I thought Blum said Fritz transfer had nothing to do with Donarski's.

So what he could be saying is:

- Donarski transfer because ISU not right fit anymore.
- Fritz transfer maybe NIL?

Blum & CW didn't have insight on Donarski's transfer, but Blum seems to know why Fritz is transferring. Seems like he would know if it was NIL.
To be clear I have no idea why either transferred.

515Clone

Nov 3, 2020
Chris Kielsmeier from Cleveland State I believe? They played us early in the season. He is from Radcliffe originally. He went to ISU and worked with Fennelly in his later years there, then he had a couple of assistant coach gigs I think and then went to Wayne State. I think he won a National Championship at Wayne State and then got the job at Cleveland State. They won their conference tournament this year and I believe got second in their regular season. Seems like a good fit to me!
Can we stop with possible coaches. A coaching change is not going to happen. New world we live in. People transfer for a change of scenery. People transfer for NIL. People transfer because of playing time.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
Like maybe he should enter the portal?
I’m not invested enough in the women’s game to make that assessment. My only advice to Fennelly would be to either reflect and make change that fits the new generation or lean in and be an open book. Recruit A, this is my personality, this is what I expect from my players, this is how I interact with my players, if it isn’t for you then I suggest you look elsewhere.
Both could work but the reflection and change is definitely the more mature l way of handling it. He’s in the final quarter of his career so who knows which way he’d go.

ZorkClone

Nov 12, 2019
Can we stop with possible coaches. A coaching change is not going to happen. New world we live in. People transfer for a change of scenery. People transfer for NIL. People transfer because of playing time.
I mean Bill is 65, he is likely to retire soon anyway. I would not be surprised if the new world of NIL and free transfers he decides to hang it up sooner rather than later.