Denae Fritz transferring

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Have already self-identifed as a stats nerd, which leads to the following:

If anything is wrong with my post, it's that I didn't give the other LSU players enough credit.

That said, VT had LSU reeling until VT basically ran our offense in the 4th quarter to try and shorten the game. They lost flow, quality shot opportunities, momentum and the game.

Your response suggests our team is just like all the other top 50 teams. Bill should keep running the same offense sets and the players leaving will go to teams that are basiclally just like us....

....and you do realize that last night was just one game.

For the season Clark averaged less minutes per game than Ash, Em and Lex. Denae averaged more minutes than all Hawks except Clark.

In less minutes Clark outscored Ash by 6/game, out assisted Em by 2/game and outrebounded all players on both teams except Ash.

Ash is a great player but averages 2 assists/game vs Clark's 8.6 so she has the ball a lot, but isn't scoring in an offense with flow and the offense didn't use her scoring threat to make her teammates better.

Em and Lex both regressed from last year with essentially the same roster except a healthy Denae and no Aubrey.
Ash somehow played even more minutes this year than last year even with Denae healthy and Ni fully integrated into the team.

The stats all suggest that Bill doesn't trust the bench in-game or regardless of what the stats actually show post-game. He does things like play Em 36 minutes vs MSU (won by 31), 35 vs TCU (won by 28), 40 and 35 vs TT (won by 23 and 24), 33 vs Columbia (won by 23). Overused Lex and Ash in these same games. That is game time that could have developed bench players and kept the starters fresh.

MEM lost 1/2 her playing time from last year even with Aubrey gone. Denae essentially replaced 2+ players worth of minutes and would rather go elsewhere.

If Bill doesn't trust the bench that is a recruiting issue, a staffing issue, or offensive scheme issue and he controls all three. They scout well and adapt well defensively but seem unable to adapt as well on offense. That is an ongoing weakness going back over my 16 years of attending.
There are a few glaring flaws here. First, Ashley played .2 minutes more this year than last. Hardly worth mentioning. Ashley SHOULD have fewer assists than Clark. One is a point guard and the other a forward. Big difference In roles. Ryan and Donarski's regression was also relatively minor. Donarski still shot 38% overall but did lose 5% off her 3 pt shot while shooting considerably fewer shots from all ranges. Ryan also shot far fewer shots maintaining a high overall percentage (overall dropped 4% but her 3 point % went up 5%. M&M had her minutes drop as did her overall performance. No matter when she was in the game she struggled. The theory that continuing to play her will fix what ailed her just doesn’t fly. Even in games where she played significant minutes the performance just wasn’t there. She also wasn’t shooting to try and work through it. For example, she played 21 minutes v Baylor and only attempted one shot. As you pointed out her minutes (she lost 7 per game) were more than taken up by Fritz who did perform at a high level.

I can’t disagree about flaws in our offensive scheme. I’ve always been frustrated watching the players circle the three point line and stand. Strangely, we had several games this year where the offense was more free flowing and in attack mode. One example was in the Big 12 tourney. Puzzling for sure…especially if the treys aren’t falling.

• Agree
Reactions: kcdc4isu

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
We can all guess why Lex and Denae left the program, but all that matters is that Bill knows the truth and he is making plans to fix issues in the program going forward. If he is too stubborn, then Pollard needs to make him. It is not normal for girls like Lex and Denae to leave and it is for sure a sign that an issue exists.

Reactions: ChiClone22

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
We can all guess why Lex and Denae left the program, but all that matters is that Bill knows the truth and he is making plans to fix issues in the program going forward. If he is too stubborn, then Pollard needs to make him. It is not normal for girls like Lex and Denae to leave and it is for sure a sign that an issue exists.
Guess is the operable word…

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006

And Emily stayed. Addy Brown said the new recruits all support Bill. Hope Lexi and Denae find what they are searching for.

CY9008

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2010
West Des Moines, IA
It’s very normal to transfer in this day and age. We have what 5 outgoing? Several other P5 programs will have 5 or more leaving for one reason or another.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
It’s very normal to transfer in this day and age. We have what 5 outgoing? Several other P5 programs will have 5 or more leaving for one reason or another.
Five outgoing is really overstating it…two are graduate students who weren’t expected back and one was a minimal use bench player. Nothing like the exodus seen at Maryland last year. Life goes on and the Sisters will be just fine.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Guess is the operable word…

I just think it's funny you keep hammering home this "guess" stuff as though these girls don't talk to people who talk to people. The reasons they left are pretty well known and have been discussed on this website several times by several people. Willful ignorance is fine, if that's your thing. But this is going to continue to be a problem unless and until Bill changes the way he treats his players. And maybe he will, but given his quotes and the quotes of his family I have my doubts.

• Winner
Reactions: bozclone

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I just think it's funny you keep hammering home this "guess" stuff as though these girls don't talk to people who talk to people. The reasons they left are pretty well known and have been discussed on this website several times by several people. Willful ignorance is fine, if that's your thing. But this is going to continue to be a problem unless and until Bill changes the way he treats his players. And maybe he will, but given his quotes and the quotes of his family I have my doubts.

Those “well known reasons” are what?

Post them. Don’t keep people ignorant.

Reactions: barometriclow

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Those “well known reasons” are what?

Post them. Don’t keep people ignorant.

You can reread the thread if you'd like. It's in there plenty of times and there's no sense rehashing all of it. Again, if you want to think that 2 of your best young pieces leaving and saying nothing positive about the staff is just part of "transfer culture", go for it. To each their own.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
You can reread the thread if you'd like. It's in there plenty of times and there's no sense rehashing all of it. Again, if you want to think that 2 of your best young pieces leaving and saying nothing positive about the staff is just part of "transfer culture", go for it. To each their own.

So you make a general attack on Fennelly and then refuse NOW to simply post facts instead of innuendo and say “go back and read the thread”.

IMO Lexi and Denae are finding opportunities to be like the LSU transfers and make some money while being some of the most sought transfers in the portal. Fennelly is really not much different from most other coaches that are successful. They are all control freaks IMO.

This is a new age with transfers and NIL. LSU had 9 new players come into their program this year. Players, even slightly frustrated, can move to another program with ease. Hope Lexi and Denae find what they are looking for.