Deadspin in a tailspin

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I know there's a few other Deadspin readers on this site. If you don't know the backstory here's a link to catch up on the specifics of what's happening.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/deadspin-tailspin-sports-stops-publishing-131841299.html

Long story short, it looks like the website is kaput. Staffers are resigning en masse, including Drew Magary. Magary is one of my favorite sports bloggers and I'll be curious to see where he lands. His weekly mailbag and NFL Jambaroo column are must reads for me.

• Agree
Reactions: merx and dawgpound

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Sucks, I too enjoyed reading a lot of things on Deadspin, not all but a lot.

You could kind of see it coming for a while now. The writers had been making direct references to friction between editorial and the new ownership for several months. It's hard to find good content sites. I used to kind of enjoy The Ringer - pretty good NFL and NBA analysis - but you can only handle so many think pieces about ten year old action movie franchises.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I wonder what this means for Gawker media overall. I read a number of their blogs including Deadspin. I'm sure this wont shut them down, but it sure seems like things are going to change a lot.

247cy

Nov 14, 2006
Spring Hill, KS
Get woke, go broke. Seems to be happening to a lot of media sites these days.

ESPN started injecting politics into sports, and then made a course correction. Deadspin did the same, but those in charge of creating content seem to be unable or unwilling to pull back.

I, like most males in their key demographics, watch or read about sports because I want to know about sports. I go there to avoid politics/social commentary or have it drastically muted.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

ESPN started injecting politics into sports, and then made a course correction. Deadspin did the same, but those in charge of creating content seem to be unable or unwilling to pull back.

I, like most males in their key demographics, watch or read about sports because I want to know about sports. I go there to avoid politics/social commentary or have it drastically muted.
I don't disagree with you on a wide scope, but not when it comes to Deadspin. It was never a "stick to sports" kind of site. Not ever. The site was built by specifically not sticking to sports. People didn't go there for straight sports news. If that's the direction that the management wants to go, so be it, but it's a significant departure from what they have always been.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

I don't want this to go to the cave, but I would argue that politicians started injecting politics into sports and it would have been irresponsible or lazy for sports journalists to ignore that. it's hard to stick to sports when the real world it's supposed to provide a distraction from keeps imposing itself. I'll leave it at that.

At any rate, I'm sorry to see the site go down in flames. I didn't necessarily like or read everything they published but it was a nice variety of takes on multiple subjects whether they were directly sports related or only tangentially so. And it was one of the few sites where the comment section was something other than a spam and troll-filled wasteland.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I wonder what this means for Gawker media overall. I read a number of their blogs including Deadspin. I'm sure this wont shut them down, but it sure seems like things are going to change a lot.
Gawker media no longer exists. It went out of business after the Hulk Hogan lawsuit.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I know there's a few other Deadspin readers on this site. If you don't know the backstory here's a link to catch up on the specifics of what's happening.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/deadspin-tailspin-sports-stops-publishing-131841299.html

Long story short, it looks like the website is kaput. Staffers are resigning en masse, including Drew Magary. Magary is one of my favorite sports bloggers and I'll be curious to see where he lands. His weekly mailbag and NFL Jambaroo column are must reads for me.
Drew is one of my favorites

• Agree
Reactions: dawgpound

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I quit reading when it went political opinion stuff instead of just sticking to mostly sports. I don't need another website that does politics. Sports were quickly becoming secondary and I quit reading anything by them. I loved some of the stuff like "Why your team sucks". If I want politics I can chose a bunch of sites that don't worry bout sports.

• Useful
  • Agree
Reactions: dosry5 and alarson

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Gawker media no longer exists. It went out of business after the Hulk Hogan lawsuit.
Gizmodo now I guess? Kotaku, I09, and all their other blogs are still under the same media group aren't they? I read all those pretty regularly so I wonder what the impact amongst all those is going to be.

Walden4Prez

Jul 8, 2014
I don't want this to go to the cave, but I would argue that politicians started injecting politics into sports and it would have been irresponsible or lazy for sports journalists to ignore that. it's hard to stick to sports when the real world it's supposed to provide a distraction from keeps imposing itself. I'll leave it at that.

At any rate, I'm sorry to see the site go down in flames. I didn't necessarily like or read everything they published but it was a nice variety of takes on multiple subjects whether they were directly sports related or only tangentially so. And it was one of the few sites where the comment section was something other than a spam and troll-filled wasteland.

I find it both funny and alarming that you equate politics with the real world.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010

There's a lot of - I'll put this gently - uninformed speculation in this take but let's at least deal with the facts. They said just a day or two ago that their non-sports content - including its political commentary - often draws the most traffic. "Sticking to sports" is almost certainly to the site's detriment.

If you're a Deadspin reader and feel like it only just recently made some pivot to including political commentary...then I'd question your reading comprehension. This is who they always were.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there

I think its fair to say that athletes (I have no prob with this) started bringing politics in to sports as well. The most obvious example we are all aware of was instigated by an athlete making a political statement with a small gesture. That one example showed the $$ folks in the media that politics +sports = clicks, the rest is history.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez

Nationalism. Same **** different time in history.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron