Darlinstone Dubar

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
Darlinstone Dubar takeaway from watching 5 replays

-Active hands on defense. Had quite a few steals and blocks.

-Going to be a solid 3 point shooter. (Unorthodox shot though)

-Crafty with the ball and finishing around the hoop.

-Can finish explosively above the rim.

-Think he will be a good rebounding guard/wing

Negatives

-He does not have a midrange game at all. 3’s or layups/dunks. In the 5 games I watched, he hit maybe one midrange shot. (A floater)

-Falls down a lot when going into the lane.

-Gets loose with the ball in traffic

-His unique shot mechanics forces him to only shoot when open. He will not take very many contested jumpers/3’s.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
By having 2 seven footers on the floor at the same time? Nah it is going to get worse.
Height doesn't automatically make rebounding issues go away. Just saying, one of the downfalls of running a zone is your rebounding can suffer. You aren't matched up against any one person, so you actually have to go find a man to put a body on when the shot goes up. For a team lazy in rebounding fundamentals already, you can see that this might just add to the problem

moores2

Nov 9, 2018

Negatives

-He does not have a midrange game at all. 3’s or layups/dunks. In the 5 games I watched, he hit maybe one midrange shot. (A floater)

-His unique shot mechanics forces him to only shoot when open. He will not take very many contested jumpers/3’s.
I agree with all of these takes. Right now, he doesn't jump off the tape as a tenacious rebounder. Similar length of time as Hogue to get the 3 pointer off, enough to keep a defense honest. I'd like to see that extra step to being a solid hustle player is needed.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque

Negatives

Sounds like a non-identical twin of Lindell Wigginton.

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
Sticking with my opinion that Dubar will make the biggest impact next year as far as the freshman goes. I want to see more game film from Blackwell but there isn’t much out there outside of his AAU highlights.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Sticking with my opinion that Dubar will make the biggest impact next year as far as the freshman goes. I want to see more game film from Blackwell but there isn’t much out there outside of his AAU highlights.
I like Blackwell and Foster a little more, but if Dubar ends up doing the most out of the freshman, I think this class will be very good.

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
I like Blackwell and Foster a little more, but if Dubar ends up doing the most out of the freshman, I think this class will be very good.
I also like Foster and Blackwell more. That being said, I think Dubar’s body and skill set translates to getting quicker minutes. Love Walker’s long term potential. Foster and Blackwell I am very excited about. Hopefully they are ready day 1.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
We just need to add EXPERIENCE in the form of transfers though IMO.

I think Foster, Blackwell, Dubar, and Walker are all talented guys.... but the big question IMO will be if they can give us much in year one or not?

Right now to my eye, they all look like bench guys in year one, but we all know that we'll probably need one or two to play a lot. Guys like Tre Jackson and Grill should not have been needed to play big minutes this year, but they were out of necessity.

Summing up.... Prohm needs to add a starting experienced PG, and another possible starting level player in this offseason. None of these true freshman look like immediate starters to me.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
The incoming freshmen are not big and strong yet, most are very thin. Has nothing to do with their basketball skills, but we are going to need some tough guys out there and I don't think these guys are ready to fill that roll yet

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
The incoming freshmen are not big and strong yet, most are very thin. Has nothing to do with their basketball skills, but we are going to need some tough guys out there and I don't think these guys are ready to fill that roll yet
I’m not entirely confident that any of the grad transfers we’ve targeted are any more physical than a Dubar/Blackwell.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I’m not entirely confident that any of the grad transfers we’ve targeted are any more physical than a Dubar/Blackwell.
Probably not. Experience is important though obviously. It'll help these freshman not have to carry as much weight on their shoulders and allow them to play more freely.

Reactions: Thompsonclone

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
Is that because they are forwards, and the grad transfers we are targeting are guards?
There is not much difference in a SG and SF in today's basketball. Terrence was a "SF" did you think of him as a forward or guard?

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
There is not much difference in a SG and SF in today's basketball. Terrence was a "SF" did you think of him as a forward or guard?

Dubar is a 3 Guard or SF, so yeah same either way. My point of us mostly going after PG’s as grad transfers still stands. Or “1’s” and Johnson plays Point Forward.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Dubar is a 3 Guard or SF, so yeah same either way. My point of us mostly going after PG’s as grad transfers still stands. Or “1’s” and Johnson plays Point Forward.
Basketball has become pretty positionless. It's not almost PG's, wings, and posts. There are rarely any true centers any more, power forwards, or small forwards.

We're focusing on PG's and wings at the moment and those wings need to be able to play at 4 if we go small ball, which Prohm likes to do.

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
Is that because they are forwards, and the grad transfers we are targeting are guards?
Maybe but even in the case of someone like Keon Ellis who we are after, he’s listed at 6-6 165 whereas Dubar and Blackwell are listed at 180 and 185. Brendan Barry wasn’t big either. Justin Turner at 205 is a little bigger. I’m all for adding guys that are physically dominant but from what we’ve targeted so far, there’s definitely not a Kane/Vital type.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Basketball has become pretty positionless. It's not almost PG's, wings, and posts. There are rarely any true centers any more, power forwards, or small forwards.

We're focusing on PG's and wings at the moment and those wings need to be able to play at 4 if we go small ball, which Prohm likes to do.

Yeah? What’s that have to do what what I’m saying? There are still positions. You can go traditional. You can go 3 guard 2 forward. 4 guard and a center. Whatever you want. But typically Dubar would play 3(or two if we don’t land more guards) any way you spin it. Sure if we ran a 4 guard he could probably do it like Burton, but why would he when we have Young, Conditt, Foster, Johnson, and Blackwell on the roster currently with 4 open scholarships.

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
Probably not. Experience is important though obviously. It'll help these freshman not have to carry as much weight on their shoulders and allow them to play more freely.
Oh I agree. We need to add some experienced and proven dudes if we want to turn this thing around next year. Love what the freshman bring long term but if we rely on them, it won’t go well.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Yeah? What’s that have to do what what I’m saying? There are still positions. You can go traditional. You can go 3 guard 2 forward. 4 guard and a center. Whatever you want. But typically Dubar would play 3(or two if we don’t land more guards) any way you spin it. Sure if we ran a 4 guard he could probably do it like Burton, but why would he when we have Young, Conditt, Foster, Johnson, and Blackwell on the roster currently with 4 open scholarships.
Oh I was just adding to your statement, not disagreeing with it. I think Dubar at his size could play the 2, 3, or 4, depending on the lineup that's on the floor. It looks like we're going to have a lot of options as far as play style with our new class coming in and Johnson being available. You could even throw Foster in at the 5 for some of these lineups, especially if the other team's big man is not a true back to the basket center.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Oh I agree. We need to add some experienced and proven dudes if we want to turn this thing around next year. Love what the freshman bring long term but if we rely on them, it won’t go well.

Totally agree a older wing to not have to rely on the freshman would be great to improve the record next year. That said they need to be b12 starting quality first not just older.
There may be bumps but If I would rather have the more talented freshman learn while playing instead of being blocked by a 5th yr grad transfer who isn't as good.

Reactions: Thompsonclone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron