Darian DeVries

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I watch a lot of Big East basketball and a good amount of Creighton.
Let me set one thing straight about McDermott. He's changed as a coach. He doesn't have this methodical, slow down billion plays of iso, shot clock grinding ball. His system at Creighton is nothing like what he ran here. They get up and down and he let's his guards play. Sometimes, I think about they flip of the switch of Diante's game with being given freedom his senior year (Freds first). Dont get me wrong, Diante was good, but it was night and day difference under a new system, and Greg runs a similar one now.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
It's like reading the Tennessee board last week! :rolleyes:

There's a significant difference between a mid major team getting poached by a P5 team and P5 teams poaching P5 coaches.

I don't think most sane folks think Oats is coming here. Most good mid major coaches end up making the jump, just a fact of life. Now he certainly could end up elsewhere than ISU and maybe Devries doesn't make the jump this season but I'd bet at it happening at some point.

Reactions: cincinnaticyclone

cincinnaticyclone

Nov 29, 2016
There's a significant difference between a mid major team getting poached by a P5 team and P5 teams poaching P5 coaches.

I don't think most sane folks think Oats is coming here. Most good mid major coaches end up making the jump, just a fact of life. Now he certainly could end up elsewhere than ISU and maybe Devries doesn't make the jump this season but I'd bet at it happening at some point.
Exactly. We need a new coach. Most Power 5 coaches come from mid-major jobs. Texas Tech hired Chris Beard, a man with significant ties to the state of Texas, and he took them to the national title game in three years. To win in basketball, it’s often best to take the layup.

Cycl0nepower

Apr 4, 2020
Ohio
I know the financial situation is a mess because of covid, but if we don’t jump on Devries soon, someone will. Hopefully after next year assuming Prohm doesn’t turn the ship around, but I think we are way past the point of return.

Reactions: ChickenNuggetMan

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I dont see Devries leaving Drake. Their AD just had a nuclear meltdown a couple years ago when Medved left early. Something like "We are only interested in employing coaches who want to be the coach at Drake University".

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Exactly. He’s not coming to Ames Iowa to live here in the dead of winter to take on one of the toughest rebuilds and leave his current top 10 team.
I agree I don't think there is any way Oats would come here. But, rebuilding in basketball is easy. It's not like trying to rebuild a football program. A basketball rebuild can be done in like 1-2 recruiting classes.

Reactions: Tpups21

cincinnaticyclone

Nov 29, 2016
He was hired (and won a share of the Missouri Valley regular season title) after first year coach Niko Medved left Drake for Colorado State. That year, they finished 17-17. The year prior, Drake finished 7-24. He walked into a dismal situation and won immediately. He could do the same at Iowa State, with the added benefit of his four star son coming along.

Reactions: ChickenNuggetMan

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I dont see Devries leaving Drake. Their AD just had a nuclear meltdown a couple years ago when Medved left early. Something like "We are only interested in employing coaches who want to be the coach at Drake University".

Meh the AD can melt down all he/she wants, either pony up the bucks or get poached that's what Wichita State did they ponied up, till the scandal came out.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron