Cy-Hawk Predictions

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I’ve thought for the past couple of months that Iowa would beat us, so I’m not going to waver now even though we are way ahead of where I thought we would be.*
I think Iowa gets out in transition in this game. *Iowa seems to get to the FT line pretty handedly especially White and Uthoff. *Both are very good free throw shooters as well. *I ultimately think that they get our bigs in foul trouble. (Niang, Ejim, Houge) *If ISU does win, I believe it will be because these 3 were able to stay out of foul trouble. *If they are able to get our bigs in foul trouble, it will be a long night for ISU. *Iowa’s depth is impressive. *While their bench may not be the best players, they all contribute and have certain areas that they are good at.
I’m not worried about Iowa’s 3 point shooting, at all. *ISU needs Kane to have a monster night IMO. *He needs to get into the lane on the drive, as well as the post up. *I don’t think anyone on Iowa can guard him down low unless Marble steps up. *This game will be interesting with match ups. *While Iowa does have size, Hoiberg exploits that size all the time with matchups and mismatches. *Ejim hitting 3’s is big as well as he can drive the UI defenders away from the basket, same as Niang.*
I think it is back and forth all game with Iowa hitting FT’s late. *I hope I am wrong. *This game can’t get here soon enough, Hilton will be INSANE.

Fair enough, I was more concerned about the UNI game than this one but then again I don't get too concerned about games played at Hilton. We have more talent and Iowa's going to have a harder time getting to the line away from Carver.

wolverine68

Mar 30, 2007
Urbandale
www.gvc.edu
I’ve thought for the past couple of months that Iowa would beat us, so I’m not going to waver now even though we are way ahead of where I thought we would be.*
I think Iowa gets out in transition in this game. *Iowa seems to get to the FT line pretty handedly especially White and Uthoff. *Both are very good free throw shooters as well. *I ultimately think that they get our bigs in foul trouble. (Niang, Ejim, Houge) *If ISU does win, I believe it will be because these 3 were able to stay out of foul trouble. *If they are able to get our bigs in foul trouble, it will be a long night for ISU. *Iowa’s depth is impressive. *While their bench may not be the best players, they all contribute and have certain areas that they are good at.
I’m not worried about Iowa’s 3 point shooting, at all. *ISU needs Kane to have a monster night IMO. *He needs to get into the lane on the drive, as well as the post up. *I don’t think anyone on Iowa can guard him down low unless Marble steps up. *This game will be interesting with match ups. *While Iowa does have size, Hoiberg exploits that size all the time with matchups and mismatches. *Ejim hitting 3’s is big as well as he can drive the UI defenders away from the basket, same as Niang.*
I think it is back and forth all game with Iowa hitting FT’s late. *I hope I am wrong. *This game can’t get here soon enough, Hilton will be INSANE.

*So hard *to not *reply to *this post.
*I failed.

Dingus

May 23, 2013
I was already to predict an Iowa win as my pessimistic side started to come up, but I just don't see it happening. I think the slow start vs. UNI will be a blessing in disguise and keep us from starting so slow this game. If we do end up losing it will be because Niang gets in foul trouble. He's our biggest mis-match on offense and takes away their size advantage.

Also, which games have teams played much zone against us? Can't remember at the moment. I know some of the fluff teams (UMKC?) but can't recall for the tougher games.

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
Fair enough, I was more concerned about the UNI game than this one but then again I don't get too concerned about games played at Hilton. We have more talent and Iowa's going to have a harder time getting to the line away from Carver.

Don't know why all the * are in my posts... Big key will be how the refs call the game.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Don't know why all the * are in my posts... Big key will be how the refs call the game.

Ding ding ding..winner!! Exactly. This game will be determined on how the officials set the tone to the game. I actually think iowa struggles with guarding Niang, Ejim and Hogue inside and Iowa racks ups fouls. I think Isu will come out in an aggressive zone and dare Iowa to win from outside while preventing foul trouble. I like our match ups better.

isu by 6-8

Clones32

Mar 5, 2013
Ding ding ding..winner!! Exactly. This game will be determined on how the officials set the tone to the game. I actually think iowa struggles with guarding Niang, Ejim and Hogue inside and Iowa racks ups fouls. I think Isu will come out in an aggressive zone and dare Iowa to win from outside while preventing foul trouble. I like our match ups better.

isu by 6-8
So if we lose, it's all the refs fault?

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
ISU 86-72. Woodbury fouls out in 10 minutes of play, cries.

Something in this range sounds about right to me also. Maybe more like 90-75, but a 12-15 point victory. Iowa has not gotten a real road test. Playing on a friendly neutral court does not count.

Seedman

Jan 13, 2011
Ames
Personally, I believe Iowa may deserve a higher ranking than they have been given and they already have a lot of game experience under their belt this year. That said, we cannot overstate the value of playing in Hilton. There is not another place like it in all of college basketball! I don’t care whether you are Arizona, Syracuse or Iowa. Any competitive team is going to have their hands full when they come into Hilton. I would also expect Fred will pick up a little additional insight into playing against Iowa from Tim Floyd. Even though UTEP lost to Iowa, Tim can offer key insight you simply cannot obtain from game film alone. If our starters play up to their potential, Iowa State wins by 9. Go State!

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Personally, I believe Iowa may deserve a higher ranking than they have been given and they already have a lot of game experience under their belt this year. That said, we cannot overstate the value of playing in Hilton. There is not another place like it in all of college basketball! I don’t care whether you are Arizona, Syracuse or Iowa. Any competitive team is going to have their hands full when they come into Hilton. I would also expect Fred will pick up a little additional insight into playing against Iowa from Tim Floyd. Even though UTEP lost to Iowa, Tim can offer key insight you simply cannot obtain from game film alone. If our starters play up to their potential, Iowa State wins by 9. Go State!

After UTEP's performance against Iowa, it might be best for Fred to not get any advice from Tim Floyd.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Hoiberg is 50-9 in Hilton, and 6 of those loses came in his first season. 37-3 over his past 3 seasons.

hawkeyescott

Jun 13, 2008
Something in this range sounds about right to me also. Maybe more like 90-75, but a 12-15 point victory. Iowa has not gotten a real road test. Playing on a friendly neutral court does not count.

I keep hearing about this road test but why? Iowa is returning everyone from last year that played at Indiana, Ohio State, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Virginia. I realize Hilton is one of the top venues in the country but these other places aren't "easy" places either. Iowa broke Virginia's 19 or 20 game home winning streak last year, a place where North Carolina or Duke couldn't win at.

This Iowa team has been tested on the road just not this year. Jok and Uthoff are the only two not tested.

Cyke

Jun 22, 2011
Des Moines, IA
Last time a player named White who wore #30 played in Hilton, the cyclones beat a ranked team (#9 Baylor). Will we see similar results? I think so. 91-80. ISU.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
I think urgency is in the Hawks court. For the fans and the 8 Hawk players from Iowa because this was suppose to be their year. Everyone back minus one, and us losing most of our scoring and rebounding. For the Hawk players and coaches because this is their last chance for a big non-con win. Thanks to Xavier and KU not quite being up to snuff, and that tourney turning into somewhat of a dud...Iowa's best win as of now is Drake. They need something to offset any setbacks they will have during conference time. And this is a huge opportunity for them instate rival or not.

For us...this should be all cake. We weren't suppose to be this good anyway....especially early. And although CFH has no lost love for Iowa, he has said that games this early don't mean a heck of a lot outside finding the right combo's for when conference hits. You want to win of course, but we lost to Iowa last year and I don't think anyone gave it a second thought through the conference season or when we were kicking Notre Dame's rear end in the dance.

So I think we will see the reverse of last year. They have the experienced team on the road at a instate rival. I think our guys are loose and fired up, and with Hilton shaking the floor I think we win by 8-12 points.

Last edited:

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
I keep hearing about this road test but why? Iowa is returning everyone from last year that played at Indiana, Ohio State, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Virginia. I realize Hilton is one of the top venues in the country but these other places aren't "easy" places either. Iowa broke Virginia's 19 or 20 game home winning streak last year, a place where North Carolina or Duke couldn't win at.

This Iowa team has been tested on the road just not this year. Jok and Uthoff are the only two not tested.

This. We also cannot forget that Iowa went on a national title run last year, coming up just short in the national title game.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron