Cy-Hawk Dual

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Ya I don't like it but I feel like there's people on here who don't watch the sport except when we wrestle Iowa.
I watched it quite regularly until my kids activities interfered with matches quite a bit. Would make a couple every year. Knew who the brands were(have a very tight source that goes way back) and terry even coached my son in a freestyle match at state (all though he was up 8-0 when terry came over and ended up losing to a hawkeye wrestlers nephew so who knows if he actually helped him, lol), so I cut him some slack then. That apparently was an aberration and the true Brands kept coming out the other times I’d see he or come across him.

JohnPrineforCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2019
Sadly Iowa state wrestling fell off the ledge in terms of competing for national championships a long time ago and Iowa picked it up
Oh I know. I guess i was just speaking in general. Football, basketball, and wrestling. Just win one sometime soon please.

• Agree
Reactions: Kaner04

erinmd32

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2015
Q

What's real funny is that these kinds of comments are almost always from Walmart t-shirt fans. Rarely from actual alum. But they are celebrated for ignorant takes.

I disagree… during Fred’s early years I was blown away by how freely Iowa Fans would refer to our basketball team as thugs. I hate the word.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
As someone who doesn't know wrestling at all, I took my family to the meet tonight. This was probably my third wrestling match ever. Thus, this is somewhat an outsiders perspective.

Takeway 1: Iowa's coaches are instigators who lack class. It was sad to me to watch this kind of behavior occur among public figures who receive extremely healthy salaries. There was jawing back and forth the entire meet between the benches and particularly coming from the Iowa bench (trying to be as objective as possible). Where has the civility and class gone? It reminds me of the political space where Trump's name-calling and ad hominem attacks have normalized this uncivil behavior and made it more likely to set a precedent people in the future will think it's ok. Is there something psychologically imbalanced with Brands? He was incredibly keyed up throughout the entire match and I have no idea why. Maybe he's just always on psycho mode??

Takeway 2: I've never been to an ISU v. Iowa competition in Hilton outside of probably 10 to 12 men's basketball games. It started to make my blood boil to hear all the Iowa fans chanting "Lets Go Hawks" throughout the match. It was probably half-and-half Cyclone and Hawk fans. I don't think I've ever been to an ISU v. Iowa game at Hilton that the Cyclones lost on the court and the Hawk fans overpowered in the stands at times. You never or rarely hear Hawk fans in Hilton at the hoops games because it's almost always a sell-out and the vast majority are Cyclones. That sucked.

So, hope everyone yells louder than usual this Thursday to get Hilton jacked. Right from the beginning. Be loud and deafening so that the Hawks can't communicate on offense and they get that "deer in the headlights" look I've seen in other players over time from Brian Bodicker to Jeff Boschee. I think an intimidating return at Hilton where the opposing players worry a little bit about their own safety is just what we need. Makes me want to get to Hilton already for Thursday seeing how the Hawk fans just invaded Hilton. Has to be annoying for you long time ISU wrestling fans to have to deal with that kind of invasion every-other-year.

Takeway 3: It seems like the Cyclone wrestlers are doing a little better than expected and I hope they'll get more fans to come throughout the year.
I'm more speaking for football now but I wish ISU fans that aren't able to go to games and are selling tickets would make concerted efforts not to sell to Iowa fans. Sell them on here and not on stubhub, etc. The area I sat in this year was damn near a 50/50 split and their "let's go hawks" chant is annoying as hell.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Just got back from it. Honestly Bastia slamming the headgear was awesome I’m sorry.

Terry Brands seems a little unhinged and dressed like a hobo

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Thinking back about the wrestling. Iowa is going to need Lee and kemmerrrer to do very well in order to win nationals. If I’m not mistaken, there wasn’t a single tilt in the whole match and before heavyweight, Iowa had more stall calls than ISU.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I'm more speaking for football now but I wish ISU fans that aren't able to go to games and are selling tickets would make concerted efforts not to sell to Iowa fans. Sell them on here and not on stubhub, etc. The area I sat in this year was damn near a 50/50 split and their "let's go hawks" chant is annoying as hell.
I noticed it too in section 134. Disgusting to tell the truth. Plus I knew there were Cyclone fans -who usually go to meets - who didn't go tonight because they knew we would lose, and didn't want to be around the invading Hawk fans in Hilton.
We need to get better. Tough to have Iowa come in Hilton and beat ISU - in any sport. Wednesday and Thursday are must wins.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
IOWA STATEIOWA
Takedowns918
Escapes1715
Reversals00
Near Fall 200
Near Fall 400
Stalling (against)116
Penalty pts (for)37
Riding time32

Ybarra was only hit for stalling once. Young was only hit once. Wilson and Warner weren't warned at all. 3 of those matches ended up with ISU getting a RT point, so it's not like UI was fighting off of bottom in any of them.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Q

I disagree… during Fred’s early years I was blown away by how freely Iowa Fans would refer to our basketball team as thugs. I hate the word.

They've used that since at least the Floyd days, if not longer.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
The yelling and taunting was coming from both sides. St. John was pretty active all night.

yes there was. Terry was acting like a damn lunatic at the end and that was completely over the top. It’s okay, you can say it.

Reactions: Scott34

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
IOWA STATEIOWA
Takedowns918
Escapes1715
Reversals00
Near Fall 200
Near Fall 400
Stalling (against)116
Penalty pts (for)37
Riding time32

It was as boring of a Cy-Hawk meet as I can remember, which is why all the antics from the coaches felt forced to me.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
yes there was. Terry was acting like a damn lunatic at the end and that was completely over the top. It’s okay, you can say it.
This is exactly right. Taunting and chirping all night from the cardinal side and the black side. Then Terry Brands just goes off the rails. And the refs are so timid.