Cy-Hawk Dual

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
What's real funny is that these kinds of comments are almost always from Walmart t-shirt fans. Rarely from actual alum. But they are celebrated for ignorant takes.
It truly is a fan base that puts too much of their life’s worth into how the Hawkeyes do compared to ISU. Wins is all that matters, don’t worry what you do, just win.

• Agree
Reactions: ISC

BadBoi

Nov 25, 2015
Getting our butts kicked by Iowa is getting old. These squirmishes happen all the time in wrestling. Considering pretty much our entire coaching staff are former Hawks, I think there's bad blood since there was no room at the inn for them on the Iowa staff.

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
As someone who doesn't know wrestling at all, I took my family to the meet tonight. This was probably my third wrestling match ever. Thus, this is somewhat an outsiders perspective.

Takeway 1: Iowa's coaches are instigators who lack class. It was sad to me to watch this kind of behavior occur among public figures who receive extremely healthy salaries. There was jawing back and forth the entire meet between the benches and particularly coming from the Iowa bench (trying to be as objective as possible). Where has the civility and class gone? It reminds me of the political space where Trump's name-calling and ad hominem attacks have normalized this uncivil behavior and made it more likely to set a precedent people in the future will think it's ok. Is there something psychologically imbalanced with Brands? He was incredibly keyed up throughout the entire match and I have no idea why. Maybe he's just always on psycho mode??

Takeway 2: I've never been to an ISU v. Iowa competition in Hilton outside of probably 10 to 12 men's basketball games. It started to make my blood boil to hear all the Iowa fans chanting "Lets Go Hawks" throughout the match. It was probably half-and-half Cyclone and Hawk fans. I don't think I've ever been to an ISU v. Iowa game at Hilton that the Cyclones lost on the court and the Hawk fans overpowered in the stands at times. You never or rarely hear Hawk fans in Hilton at the hoops games because it's almost always a sell-out and the vast majority are Cyclones. That sucked.

So, hope everyone yells louder than usual this Thursday to get Hilton jacked. Right from the beginning. Be loud and deafening so that the Hawks can't communicate on offense and they get that "deer in the headlights" look I've seen in other players over time from Brian Bodicker to Jeff Boschee. I think an intimidating return at Hilton where the opposing players worry a little bit about their own safety is just what we need. Makes me want to get to Hilton already for Thursday seeing how the Hawk fans just invaded Hilton. Has to be annoying for you long time ISU wrestling fans to have to deal with that kind of invasion every-other-year.

Takeway 3: It seems like the Cyclone wrestlers are doing a little better than expected and I hope they'll get more fans to come throughout the year.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Getting our butts kicked by Iowa is getting old. These squirmishes happen all the time in wrestling. Considering pretty much our entire coaching staff are former Hawks, I think there's bad blood since there was no room at the inn for them on the Iowa staff.
Squirmishes happen but a coach (and now told a wrestler) flying into the opposing wrestlers bench before the handshake is totally unacceptable.

BadBoi

Nov 25, 2015
As someone who doesn't know wrestling at all, I took my family to the meet tonight. This was probably my third wrestling match ever. Thus, this is somewhat an outsiders perspective.

Takeway 1: Iowa's coaches are instigators who lack class. It was sad to me to watch this kind of behavior occur among public figures who receive extremely healthy salaries. There was jawing back and forth the entire meet between the benches and particularly coming from the Iowa bench (trying to be as objective as possible). Where has the civility and class gone? It reminds me of the political space where Trump's name-calling and ad hominem attacks have normalized this uncivil behavior and made it more likely to set a precedent people in the future will think it's ok. Is there something psychologically imbalanced with Brands? He was incredibly keyed up throughout the entire match and I have no idea why. Maybe he's just always on psycho mode??

Takeway 2: I've never been to an ISU v. Iowa competition in Hilton outside of probably 10 to 12 men's basketball games. It started to make my blood boil to hear all the Iowa fans chanting "Lets Go Hawks" throughout the match. It was probably half-and-half Cyclone and Hawk fans. I don't think I've ever been to an ISU v. Iowa game at Hilton that the Cyclones lost on the court and the Hawk fans overpowered in the stands at times. You never or rarely hear Hawk fans in Hilton at the hoops games because it's almost always a sell-out and the vast majority are Cyclones. That sucked.

So, hope everyone yells louder than usual this Thursday to get Hilton jacked. Right from the beginning. Be loud and deafening so that the Hawks can't communicate on offense and they get that "deer in the headlights" look I've seen in other players over time from Brian Bodicker to Jeff Boschee. I think an intimidating return at Hilton where the opposing players worry a little bit about their own safety is just what we need. Makes me want to get to Hilton already for Thursday seeing how the Hawk fans just invaded Hilton. Has to be annoying for you long time ISU wrestling fans to have to deal with that kind of invasion every-other-year.

Takeway 3: It seems like the Cyclone wrestlers are doing a little better than expected and I hope they'll get more fans to come throughout the year.
Uhhh we don't want any opposing teams to have to worry about their safety... This rivalry is becoming wayyy to heated from our side.

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
You all know the crazy thing is Iowa fans eat this **** up and are laughing about this thread.
When I was growing up Dr. Tom, Dan, and Hayden for the most part were classy and now look.

Exactly. Those were classy leaders. Ferentz is classy. Campbell is classy and T.J. appears quite classy. I've only seen a small sample size with Brands, but he seems unhinged. If I was a Hawk fan, I'd tell it like it is if my coach was like that.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA

Takeway 2: I've never been to an ISU v. Iowa competition in Hilton outside of probably 10 to 12 men's basketball games. It started to make my blood boil to hear all the Iowa fans chanting "Lets Go Hawks" throughout the match. It was probably half-and-half Cyclone and Hawk fans. I don't think I've ever been to an ISU v. Iowa game at Hilton that the Cyclones lost on the court and the Hawk fans overpowered in the stands at times. That sucked.

This is a really important take. I implore a lot of folks to read it. Really read it. Then decide…do you want to compete or not?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Exactly. Those were classy leaders. Ferentz is classy. Campbell is classy and T.J. appears quite classy. I've only seen a small sample size with Brands, but he seems unhinged. If I was a Hawk fan, I'd tell it like it is if my coach was like that.
The Hawkeye wrestling fan is like no other out there. You honestly have no idea until you deal with them.

BadBoi

Nov 25, 2015
Squirmishes happen but a coach (and now told a wrestler) flying into the opposing wrestlers bench before the handshake is totally unacceptable.
Ya I don't like it but I feel like there's people on here who don't watch the sport except when we wrestle Iowa.

• Dumb
Reactions: Cyclones1969

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I don't personally believe Kirk is classy. His first few years I definitely thought so not anymore.
Kirk is a Belichick guy, they are very, very smart, so when they play dumb you know it's an act.
Hell, Kirk brought up "scrambled eggs" during a press conference about racist allegations. That's incredibly tone deaf.

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
Uhhh we don't want any opposing teams to have to worry about their safety... This rivalry is becoming wayyy to heated from our side.

Yeah, I know, and you're right. BUT, there's been times in the student section when I was in it in the early 2000s with a bunch of other people and you'd look over and you could see the intimidation when we were booing the **** out of the refs or the other team's players for some aggressive move. It's a fine line. I just think the fans getting extremely loud gets intimidating.

BadBoi

Nov 25, 2015
Yeah, I know, and you're right. BUT, there's been times in the student section when I was in it in the early 2000s with a bunch of other people and you'd look over and you could see the intimidation when we were booing the **** out of the refs or the other team's players for some aggressive move. It's a fine line. I just think the fans getting extremely loud gets intimidating.
That was a better way of phrasing it. Thanks

Reactions: erinmd32

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron