MLB: Cubs name Cashner 5th starter

cycub51

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2009
Somewhere Iowa
I actually don't agree with this move. I don't think Cashner will have as much success as he could if he was in the bullpen. He's a power pitcher with two pitches and that will come back to hurt him the third time around lineups.

guitarchitect7

Oct 8, 2006
www.chrisboeke.com
Not a Jim Hendry fan, but his comment here was probably spot on. How many times do we see this in our lives. It's not the individuals fault, but everyone elses - ever since day 1...

“His comments about Mark Riggins were totally inappropriate and unacceptable,” Hendry said. “Once again, it’s a weakness for somebody that doesn’t perform well and chooses to blame somebody else on the way out.”

pigphd

Apr 29, 2010
For all of those Cashner haters: stop it. He has developed a good third pitch and has a good 4th pitch coming along, if you follow the spring reports at all. IMO this year is to get Cashner ready for the future. He's going to be a starter so they want him to get experience, that's great news to me. Why keep Silva for another year when there is no chance of signing him again.

Silva started out the year great last year going 8-0. After that 2-6. He only got past 6 innings 5 times in comparison to Dempster who did that 24 times. he couldn't go long at all, and had good run support. He was terrible for 2 seasons before that, was bad at the end of the year (not just after the all-star break), and he had a horrible spring. You want him as the Cub's 5th starter? Then you must be a cardinal's fan.

Great move by Quade, I loved that hire. The Cub's aren't trying to go all flash anymore, which is what they needed the last 5 years. I'm not saying this Cub's team will win the series, but they'll be a lot better than last year.

I'm already looking forward to 2012 when we dump some big contracts as well.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
For all of those Cashner haters: stop it. He has developed a good third pitch and has a good 4th pitch coming along, if you follow the spring reports at all. IMO this year is to get Cashner ready for the future. He's going to be a starter so they want him to get experience, that's great news to me. Why keep Silva for another year when there is no chance of signing him again.

Silva started out the year great last year going 8-0. After that 2-6. He only got past 6 innings 5 times in comparison to Dempster who did that 24 times. he couldn't go long at all, and had good run support. He was terrible for 2 seasons before that, was bad at the end of the year (not just after the all-star break), and he had a horrible spring. You want him as the Cub's 5th starter? Then you must be a cardinal's fan.

Great move by Quade, I loved that hire. The Cub's aren't trying to go all flash anymore, which is what they needed the last 5 years. I'm not saying this Cub's team will win the series, but they'll be a lot better than last year.

Amen. Free up the payroll for some youth and new blood.

pyrocyz

Jun 2, 2006
Ames

Are you looking forward to the chance to sign an over weight power hitting first basemen who I think might already by on the decline to a huge contract that you will later regret...sweet.

pyrocyz

Jun 2, 2006
Ames
Albert Pujols is not overweight.

I would be genuinely surprised if Albert signed with the Cubs. Again, I think that it would be a bad signing. There is a lot of risk there for the amount that you will have to sign him for.

Prince and Albert will get their money but will it be worth it for a National League club to spend that much over that time period.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
I would be genuinely surprised if Albert signed with the Cubs. Again, I think that it would be a bad signing. There is a lot of risk there for the amount that you will have to sign him for.

Prince and Albert will get their money but will it be worth it for a National League club to spend that much over that time period.

And that's why the Cubs won't sign them. They've learned their lesson....

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
If the Cubs sign him for $30 mil a year for 10 years and he breaks the World Series drought he'd be worth every penny they spent on him even if he hits .200 in year 5 of his contract. I know its a lot of money but I'm sure Pujols would be worth every penny of that contract for at least the 1st half of it and by that time you'd think the Cubs would have won at least 1 World Series. That alone would be priceless.

GoCubsGo

Jul 22, 2008
If the Cubs sign him for $30 mil a year for 10 years and he breaks the World Series drought he'd be worth every penny they spent on him even if he hits .200 in year 5 of his contract. I know its a lot of money but I'm sure Pujols would be worth every penny of that contract for at least the 1st half of it and by that time you'd think the Cubs would have won at least 1 World Series. That alone would be priceless.

Clearly. :jimlad:

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Is Samarjia ever going to start?

Hopefully not. This spring has made me like Quade even more than before. Very glad to see the Cubs not mess around with starting Silva, his contract was a sunk cost and they didn't compound that mistake by delaying Cashner's development.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Is Samarjia ever going to start?

This is probably a make or break year for him. He's out of options so they can't send him down to the minors if he stinks. I wouldn't be shocked if he struggles they try to trade him and see what kind of value they can salvage out of him since he definitely would not make it through waivers with some of the pitching starved teams out there that would claim him.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
This is probably a make or break year for him. He's out of options so they can't send him down to the minors if he stinks. I wouldn't be shocked if he struggles they try to trade him and see what kind of value they can salvage out of him since he definitely would not make it through waivers with some of the pitching starved teams out there that would claim him.

He seem to be a better middle relief pitcher. Rough year for him last year. Hopefully he can work the kinks out this year.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron