Cryptocurrency

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Interesting. Considering your worry about good things being used for nefarious activity....Should the US outlaw the dark web?

I don't know, because frankly I don't know much about it. As always I think the technology would outpace the government's ability to regulate it. When you read specifically about how much child exploitation there is flowing through the dark web, specifically Gabriel Dance and his work for the New York Times, I wish something could be done about it but I'm not sophisticated enough to know what and how.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
What's been going on in the crypto world the last week?

Pretty big bear market right now. My buddies thought that we might be heading into it soon and then would come out the other side later in the spring.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Pretty big bear market right now. My buddies thought that we might be heading into it soon and then would come out the other side later in the spring.

Ok, I'm thinking of adding some more crypto, just $100. Probably $50 in to Ethereum, and I would like to invest another $50 in to an NFT backed crypto. Although, not sure if its too early, or do I buy the dip every month.

agrabes

Oct 25, 2006
Ok, I'm thinking of adding some more crypto, just $100. Probably $50 in to Ethereum, and I would like to invest another $50 in to an NFT backed crypto. Although, not sure if its too early, or do I buy the dip every month.
When you say an NFT backed crypto - are you saying like you want one where the coin founder has some valuable NFTs and backs the value of the crypto with that? Definitely an interesting idea - kind of like doubling down on your bet on blockchain.

In terms of the crypto bear market I've heard people speculate that it's just due to general fears of the Omicron variant - people who are more traditional investors wanting to get out of risky assets like crypto when there's a general market drawdown. Which, if true, is really interesting because crypto is supposed to be negatively correlated with the market (goes up when the market goes down). If you look at the last 2-3 days gold has gone up while the market and Bitcoin have gone down.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
When you say an NFT backed crypto - are you saying like you want one where the coin founder has some valuable NFTs and backs the value of the crypto with that? Definitely an interesting idea - kind of like doubling down on your bet on blockchain.

In terms of the crypto bear market I've heard people speculate that it's just due to general fears of the Omicron variant - people who are more traditional investors wanting to get out of risky assets like crypto when there's a general market drawdown. Which, if true, is really interesting because crypto is supposed to be negatively correlated with the market (goes up when the market goes down). If you look at the last 2-3 days gold has gone up while the market and Bitcoin have gone down.

The way I am thinking this through, and I could be wrong, is that the people who are going to buy NFT's for digital assets, like art, music, pictures, etc. are probably going to be the same people who are really in to crypto as well. So my thinking is that as digital NFT's become more popular, they will probably be bought by a tokens that specializes in the transactions of these digital assets.

As I am learning more about crypto in general, I am trying to find cryptocurrencies that specialize in certain markets. For example, I personally like Polymath because it specializes in the transactions of securities trading. As more retail investors appear in the market, there may be a movement by younger generations to move away from stock exchanges and in to a decentralized model of trading stocks allowing smaller investors to invest in companies, but also for small or locally owned businesses to gain access to capital. To do that, Polymath could be a medium to facilitate such transactions.

Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

JustAnotherTimeline

Jul 29, 2021
I don't know, because frankly I don't know much about it. As always I think the technology would outpace the government's ability to regulate it. When you read specifically about how much child exploitation there is flowing through the dark web, specifically Gabriel Dance and his work for the New York Times, I wish something could be done about it but I'm not sophisticated enough to know what and how.

You may or not be aware of this, but the US government created the dark web knowing its downside. It is currently used by the government and individuals, for both good and bad. It's not going away.

My point is, just because something can be used for good and bad doesn't mean it is inherently bad or should be eliminated or over-regulated.

Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Basically nothing can be done about it. The Navy designed it to be unbreakable and even they can't break it. Not only that there aren't really search engines you just have to know the address on the dark web. It's like 7 layers of proxy, can't triangulate people's locations.

Reactions: JustAnotherTimeline

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
You may or not be aware of this, but the US government created the dark web knowing its downside. It is currently used by the government and individuals, for both good and bad. It's not going away.

My point is, just because something can be used for good and bad doesn't mean it is inherently bad or should be eliminated or over-regulated.

I agree, it’s just a matter of how much bad we are willing to tolerate. Again I’m not an expert on it. I’d need to know what the good is that is being done because right now I’m just seeing a whole lot of the worst stuff human beings can be involved in.

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
The way I am thinking this through, and I could be wrong, is that the people who are going to buy NFT's for digital assets, like art, music, pictures, etc. are probably going to be the same people who are really in to crypto as well. So my thinking is that as digital NFT's become more popular, they will probably be bought by a tokens that specializes in the transactions of these digital assets.

As I am learning more about crypto in general, I am trying to find cryptocurrencies that specialize in certain markets. For example, I personally like Polymath because it specializes in the transactions of securities trading. As more retail investors appear in the market, there may be a movement by younger generations to move away from stock exchanges and in to a decentralized model of trading stocks allowing smaller investors to invest in companies, but also for small or locally owned businesses to gain access to capital. To do that, Polymath could be a medium to facilitate such transactions.

Check out RVN then.

• Informative
Reactions: SCNCY

JustAnotherTimeline

Jul 29, 2021

If I had $100 that I wanted to put into non-bitcoin crypto I would probably go with Ethereum and Matic right now. Matic is focused on rollups right now which should bode well as a decent bet short term. Keep in mind if you invest in Ethereum you are indirectly betting on NFTs since most nfts are erc-721 standard. Also games like Axie have their own currency, but it is built on ethereum as well.

• Informative
Reactions: SCNCY