Cryptocurrency

agardini

Nov 12, 2009
Does anyone mine any coins? And what ones would be decent to try and mine? I know bitcoin, etherum and litecoin are probably too 'hard' to do now.

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
After 30-45 days, Bitstamp finally approved my account. Was going to put $500 into Ripple back when it was .40. Jumped up to over 3 and now has been sitting in the 1.3 range. Is it still worth getting in?

• Dislike
Reactions: TXCyclones

Playboi Carti

May 7, 2017
After 30-45 days, Bitstamp finally approved my account. Was going to put $500 into Ripple back when it was .40. Jumped up to over 3 and now has been sitting in the 1.3 range. Is it still worth getting in?
That isn't bad, watch the price for a day or two to see if the price drops.

• Disagree
Reactions: Macloney
L

LincolnWay187

Am I going to get in trouble if I don't pay taxes on gains? I sold half a bitcoin this year when it was around $6,000 :(. I actually do intend to pay the taxes on it, but am just kind of curious what the IRS is up to when it comes to crypto.
I would pay, do you want to get audited and pay a penalty when coinbase turns over its records to the IRS some day.

Reactions: Doc

Kypdurron

Dec 13, 2017
West Des Moines
Does anyone mine any coins? And what ones would be decent to try and mine? I know bitcoin, etherum and litecoin are probably too 'hard' to do now.

I have a custom built mining rig with 2 980 ti's and 2 RX 580 8g's. Currently making 250+ a month. I use Nicehash personally, I like that you rent out your mining power and that it switches to which ever coin is most profitable. Mining is most likely on the way out though more and more coins are Proof of Stake and Eth is switching to Proof of Stake as well.

Kypdurron

Dec 13, 2017
West Des Moines

I would say Cardano is a better bet. The problem with ripple is they are sitting on 50 billion coins that they plan on putting back into the market place. This would mean the price will drop with each scheduled release and limits the returns you can get.

Reactions: Cyclone.TV

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
I would say Cardano is a better bet. The problem with ripple is they are sitting on 50 billion coins that they plan on putting back into the market place. This would mean the price will drop with each scheduled release and limits the returns you can get.

Yeah I’m not going near ripple.

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
How much does it cost to get into mining?
Kind of late to start now. Need a computer, power supply, and GPUs. The current GPU prices are outrageous. These things are going for 2x - 4x msrp. An RX580 that you could have bought for ~$250 6 months ago now goes for over $500. The 1080ti that should go for ~$700 are selling for $1500. The 1070 that use to MSRP for $400 are now approaching $1000. These are prices from retailers if you can find them in stock. Ebay is much worse.

I wish I would have bought a truckload and sat on them for 6 months.

Although if the prices stay the same you are looking at an ROI of about 6-8 months. That is pretty good for an ROI, but I wouldn't trust the crypto world that the prices will stay steady. They could collapse and you would be stuck with a bunch of GPUs that you overpaid for. Ebay would be flooded with used GPUs and you would be lucky to get $50 for 1080ti. PC gamers will be rejoicing.

Last edited:

Kypdurron

Dec 13, 2017
West Des Moines
I am seeing news that both Square cash and Robinhood are going to allow users to trade in cryptocurrencies.

This is big news as both have an established user base, a good UI for buying and selling, and increase the average persons exposure to the crypto market. I wouldn't expect an immediate bump, but if the market goes through a rally this would definitely help it to sustain for longer.

I would also expect other apps to follow suit (such as Acorn and Stash) in order to stay competitive.

Reactions: Cyclone.TV

Playboi Carti

May 7, 2017
Kind of late to start now. Need a computer, power supply, and GPUs. The current GPU prices are outragouse. These things are going for 2x - 4x msrp. An RX580 that you could have bought for ~$250 6 months ago now goes for over $500. The 1080ti that should go for ~$700 are selling for $1500. The 1070 that use to MSRP for $400 are now approaching $1000. These are prices from retailers if you can find them in stock. Ebay is much worse.

I wish I would have bought a truck load and sat on them for 6 months.

Although if the prices stay the same you are looking at an ROI of about 6-8 months. That is pretty good for an ROI, but I wouldn't trust the crypto world that the prices will stay steady. They could collapse and you would be stuck with a bunch of GPUs that you over paid for. Ebay would be flooded with used GPUs and you would be lucky to get $50 for 1080ti. PC gamers will be rejoicing.
Darn I might just invest in could mining

• Disagree
Reactions: Macloney

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
I am seeing news that both Square cash and Robinhood are going to allow users to trade in cryptocurrencies.

This is big news as both have an established user base, a good UI for buying and selling, and increase the average persons exposure to the crypto market. I wouldn't expect an immediate bump, but if the market goes through a rally this would definitely help it to sustain for longer.

I would also expect other apps to follow suit (such as Acorn and Stash) in order to stay competitive.

Wow I would love to be able to transfer my bitcoin and ethereum over there. Wonder how that will work.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center

cardano requires bitcoin to trade, and is difficult to get your money out without first converting to BTC.. until it breaks away from bitcoin i don't see why it's any better or worse.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron