Crazy kicking stat...

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Do you know what % of kickoffs we returned this year? What our average starting yard line was off a kickoff? What our opponents was off a kick off? I'd also be curious what our net punt yardage was when we returned and when we punted. \

These are "margin" special team stats that I feel we are horrible in and am curious if there is a good website that tracks things like this.
Amazing level of incompetent here. Well done.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
I didn’t really have any problems with our special teams play overall with the one huge exception being the buffoonery against Iowa.
According to FEI (drive-by-drive analysis), ISU had the #18 offense, #41 defense and #81 special teams. These are all adjusted for opponent (#20 Strength of Schedule). They had ISU ranked #24 prior to the bowl game (ND ranked 10th).

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/fei/2019

I can't find an SP+ breakdown for Off/Def/ST at the moment but as I recall last I saw it was pretty similar. Special teams definitely held this team back.

Reactions: Gunnerclone

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
According to FEI (drive-by-drive analysis), ISU had the #18 offense, #41 defense and #81 special teams. These are all adjusted for opponent (#20 Strength of Schedule). They had ISU ranked #24 prior to the bowl game (ND ranked 10th).

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/fei/2019

I can't find an SP+ breakdown for Off/Def/ST at the moment but as I recall last I saw it was pretty similar. Special teams definitely held this team back.

Oh. Could you do me a favor and post this in every Tom Manning thread?

Reactions: besserheimerphat

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
@demoncore1031 you can rate my post as funny but it's the truth. 1. I've watched them practice it in practice and 2. Paddock even said so in a interview he did with his local newspaper before the bowl game.

Reactions: VeloClone

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
@demoncore1031 you can rate my post as funny but it's the truth. 1. I've watched them practice it in practice and 2. Paddock even said so in a interview he did with his local newspaper before the bowl game.
I just find it funny that a team would not try to kick touchbacks. But it makes sense for ISU since none of the kickers can consistently even put the ball in the endzone. Kinda sad to think about.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010

That has been the strategy. But they can still fair catch it where ever they want. I guess we need to look at the average starting position to see if that is working.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I just find it funny that a team would not try to kick touchbacks. But it makes sense for ISU since none of the kickers can consistently even put the ball in the endzone. Kinda sad to think about.
That's not what is happening here.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

Help Support Us

Become a patron